PDA

View Full Version : chad502 or anyone...........

shamisc
11-01-2005, 05:28 PM
I'm putting my piston in tomorrow and was wondering what was the best way to knock the glaze off in the cylinder of my 450R? With iron sleeves I've always used wet 600 grit sandpaper and went in the cross-hatch pattern.:confused:

chad502ex
11-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
I'm putting my piston in tomorrow and was wondering what was the best way to knock the glaze off in the cylinder of my 450R? With iron sleeves I've always used wet 600 grit sandpaper and went in the cross-hatch pattern.:confused:

I would almost bet that you will not have to worry about it so much since your 05' is fairly new. When you tear down, if you havn't, be sure to photo the jug. You still should see the cross hatches in the cylinder. The cross hatches is what files down the rings to fit. I would never deglaze by hand- especially on a NiCaSil cyclinder. For NiCaSil cyclinders you need diamond hones to deglaze. US Chrome and Millenium does good work on NiCaSil cylinders.

I still think you'll have cross-hatch still in your jug...

hope this helps.

chad502ex.com

shamisc
11-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Yes, it deff still has the crosshatch. I was told that i still need to de-glaze. But, I'm sure you've dealt with more 450r cylinders than this guy. Mine only has 25-30 hours on it BTW. One more question, I was running AmsOil in it before I tore it down, I should go back to a conventional oil to break it in, correct? I'm also assuming that once I put it back together I can kick it over a few times to remove all of the Amsoil, or will it be OK to mix the two?

chad502ex
11-01-2005, 05:45 PM
if there is continuous cross-hatch around the cylinder- you'd be better off not touching it. Just install your new piston and rings and run it with regular oil until the new rings wear in a bit. After a few hours of run time, then change your oil add run whatever you wish

shamisc
11-01-2005, 05:50 PM
THANK YOU for your quick response!!!:cool:

chad502ex
11-01-2005, 06:27 PM
glad to help

iceracer65
11-02-2005, 09:52 AM
i also measured the stock ring gap and matched the after market gap to it.

i figured if thats the way honda wanted it, thats the way it will be:devil:

11-02-2005, 10:00 AM
what is all this de-glazing talk?
i've never rebuilt a 4-stroke motor........are you saying, i can't go buy a 12:1 piston and rings, and just put it in and go?

on our 2-strokes, we always machined the bore semi-rough for breaking the rings in.

iceracer65
11-02-2005, 10:08 AM
the nicasil coating on these new 4 strokes are virtually bullet proof. if you have to rebore, the cylinder needs to be honed and recoated.

the old uncoated cylinders needed to be rehoned/deglazed to "rough" them up with every new piston/rings.