PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Dr. D and K&N - What do you think

04TRX400EX
11-01-2005, 04:49 PM
I just installed my Dr. D slip-on and K&N filter with Outerwears yesterday so I thought that I would post some pictures. The exhaust and filter definately made a performance difference. Even in a short run I could feel the gains. I haven't changed the jetting yet cause if was running good yesterday. I am going to take it out this weekend so that I can decide if I need to re-jet or not.

04TRX400EX
11-01-2005, 04:50 PM
One more pic

paul01400ex
11-01-2005, 04:51 PM
looks good:cool:

stic
11-01-2005, 04:53 PM
very cool.sounds good too i bet.
whad that set ya back if you dont mind me askin'?
im torn between new meats and a slip-on.

trx400exxracer
11-01-2005, 04:57 PM
looks good it matches

Nick110
11-01-2005, 05:29 PM
looks nice.:D

2002400ex
11-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Lookin good!:D

04TRX400EX
11-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by stic
very cool.sounds good too i bet.
whad that set ya back if you dont mind me askin'?
im torn between new meats and a slip-on.

Yeah I love the way it sounds. Nice and deep and throaty but not overly loud at all. It sounds great. I got the exhaust from Parts Direct (http://www.gopartsdirect.com/atv/index.asp) for $240. It was the cheapest place I could find it, free shipping too. I got the air filter and wrap from Rocky Mountain ATV (http://www.rockymountainatv.com/) for $45 (35 for filter and 10 for outwears), also the cheapest I could find. I ordered both parts on Monday of last week and received them here in AZ on Friday. Unless you really need new tires, I would recommend getting the performance goodies, especially if you don't have to re-jet, which it looks like I won't have to, but I won't know for sure until I go for a ride this weekend.

ZQ8Dude
11-01-2005, 09:32 PM
so where is this pipe for power? is a low budget style or right up there with the HMFs/pro circuit/yoshi ?

i like the look, just wonder how the power is.

04TRX400EX
11-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by ZQ8Dude
so where is this pipe for power? is a low budget style or right up there with the HMFs/pro circuit/yoshi ?

i like the look, just wonder how the power is.

The power and quality is great. A lot of people don't know Dubach Racing, but do a search and you'll see that a lot of people run them. Most know them cause Dirt Wheels picked it as the best pipe for a Yamaha YFZ450 awhile back. It is a great pipe with excellent fit and finish. It has been dynoed to add about 4-5 horsepower. It is a lot like a Pro Circuit, or Yoshi, or HMF, most of the big name pipes are very similar in a lot of respects. HMF seems to produce the biggest gains (about 6-7hp), but at the expense of a very loud pipe, according to many people on this site. If you go with a Dr. D, I can almost gaurantee you'll be happy.

ZQ8Dude
11-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
The power and quality is great. A lot of people don't know Dubach Racing, but do a search and you'll see that a lot of people run them. Most know them cause Dirt Wheels picked it as the best pipe for a Yamaha YFZ450 awhile back. It is a great pipe with excellent fit and finish. It has been dynoed to add about 4-5 horsepower. It is a lot like a Pro Circuit, or Yoshi, or HMF, most of the big name pipes are very similar in a lot of respects. HMF seems to produce the biggest gains (about 6-7hp), but at the expense of a very loud pipe, according to many people on this site. If you go with a Dr. D, I can almost gaurantee you'll be happy.

well we'll see right now im still deciding, for sure its gonna be a powerbomb header, but im not sure if i wanna go Dr.D, HMF, or big gun for my slip on.

thanks for the info though

2004exrider
11-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet Re jet
oh yeah, re jet. It is more than likely way to lean and it will feel a lot more powerful after you do;)

Jimmy

04TRX400EX
11-03-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
... re jet. It is more than likely way to lean and it will feel a lot more powerful after you do;)

Jimmy

My only concern with re-jetting (and its probably unjustified) is that since it is running ok now on the stock 148 main, is that if I go up to a 150 or 152 I will then make it too rich. I am thinking that if/when I do re-jet, I am just going to use the 150. Does that sound about right to you?

BTW, I live in AZ and ride usually at 1000-3000 feet elevation.

04TRX400EX
11-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Forgot to add that I left the airbox lid on

Bigun55
11-04-2005, 08:11 AM
Looks good man

2004exrider
11-04-2005, 07:31 PM
The best way to know is to do a spark plug check, trust me your gonna be lean. its better to jet it then toast your piston from not. Just run it at 3/4 throttle or higher for a couple seconds then stop and turn it off. Pull the plug, if its white your lean, black then its to rich, Dark Grey- Light brown then its perfect.

Jimmy

04TRX400EX
11-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Some guy at a local Honda dealer told me to do the spark plug check too, and that was my plan of action but the problem is that I can't get to the spark plug! I know where it is and all that but the 11/16" socket that you have to use won't fit in the small hole around the plug. What do you guys do to change/look at the spark plug? Do I need to get a special spark plug wrench or do I just need to pull off all of the body work and all that?

Chino
11-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
Some guy at a local Honda dealer told me to do the spark plug check too, and that was my plan of action but the problem is that I can't get to the spark plug! I know where it is and all that but the 11/16" socket that you have to use won't fit in the small hole around the plug. What do you guys do to change/look at the spark plug? Do I need to get a special spark plug wrench or do I just need to pull off all of the body work and all that?

they gave you a plug wrench in your tool kit with your bike, put an allen head through it and loosen it up...