PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cleaning

TRX400EX02
11-01-2005, 01:18 PM
I love to keep my quad perfectly clean when I am not riding it but I dont know what to use on the engine. I scrubbed it with regular car wash soap and with wd40 but it still has a slight off color to it. Is there a product that will bring that engine to a nice shine? Also what is a good product to spray on the swingarm, near the engine where some of the chain lube has been thrown on to it, to clean it up?
And finally, I have a dumb question. My dealer serviced my rear brake and put new DOT 4 fluid in. Now it is running low and I was wondering if I can top it off with a different brand of DOT 4 brake fluid. I dont know what brand theirs is but it is see-though and the stuff I buy is blue. Thanks.

400exdave
11-01-2005, 04:49 PM
I used a product called, Super Clean. It's in a purple spray bottle. They also have jugs, but I just sprayed it on and let it sit for about 5 minutes and then sprayed it off. Didn't require much scrubbing at all. Either that or you can try some simple green, that works alright too.

stic
11-01-2005, 04:58 PM
i dont think it matters what brand of brake fluid you use as long as you keep it dot4 or dot3.whichever it calls for.if you use dot3 in a dot4 system,the lines will swell and youll be replacing the entire system.ive mixed and matched throughout the years in my various toys and never had a prob.bike,quads,trucks...whatevers on the shelf,ya know?

TRX400EX02
11-02-2005, 04:31 AM
Yeah thanks

TRX400-06
11-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Tuff Stuff is what I have been using to clean mine. It works like a champ. Spray it on and let it foam up then take a rag to it. You just wipe and do some minor rubbing in the tuff areas.

NacsMXer
11-02-2005, 12:55 PM
I used Hondabrite and it worked really well. Really makes the engine look like new again. It's also safe on rubber and plastic so you can use it all over the quad basically. I've tried a lot of products before I used this one and it seems to work the best out of all of them. The only thing I don't like is it doesn't come in the really big bottles like Simple Green.