PDA

View Full Version : Paper filter vs. foam in sand

fiveover
11-01-2005, 12:02 PM
I'm going to get a new air filter so I can rotate between cleanings. I ride 75% sand and 25% dirt. I've heard that K&N type paper filters aren't as good as foam in the sand. Any truth to this?

underpowered
11-01-2005, 12:43 PM
first off, a K&N is by no means a Paper filter, it is a re-usable cloth filter. I personal only run K&N, not a bettter filter out there as long as it is properly maintained. i say us the K&N, flows much better than say an UNI. the K&N will last longer than the uni adn filter just as well if you keep it cleaned and oiled.

400exrider707
11-01-2005, 01:09 PM
I've had better luck with UNI's. The K&N's will offer more power in my opinion, but were a bit more of a hassle as far as maintenance, and I did find dirt particles in my intake, it could have been my fault, and it could have been the filters, or a combination of both, either way I dont find dirt at all with my UNI. The UNI's might not las AS long, but they're also only half the price of the K&N's.

NacsMXer
11-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by fiveover
I'm going to get a new air filter so I can rotate between cleanings. I ride 75% sand and 25% dirt. I've heard that K&N type paper filters aren't as good as foam in the sand. Any truth to this?

You've got it backwards. You would want to run the K&N in the sand because there isn't nearly as much dust from sand as a dry MX track for example.

Run a foam filter for optimum protection with a little less flow than a K&N in dusty dirt conditions. I ran a K&N for a while on the MX track with a prefilter on it as well as the airbox and it still passed fine dirt into my intake. I switched to a Uni foam filter and problem solved.

Heres my mentality when it comes to filters:
K&N - optimum flow and good filtration overall but doesn't filter as well as foam. Keep it to the street, sand, or low dust conditions.

Foam (UNI, Twin Air, etc): A bit more restrictive than K&N but is able to filter much better in high dust conditions. Suitable for all types of riding except for maybe drag racing where a K&N would be more suitable.

nakomis0
11-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
You've got it backwards. You would want to run the K&N in the sand because there isn't nearly as much dust from sand as a dry MX track for example.

Run a foam filter for optimum protection with a little less flow than a K&N in dusty dirt conditions. I ran a K&N for a while on the MX track with a prefilter on it as well as the airbox and it still passed fine dirt into my intake. I switched to a Uni foam filter and problem solved.

Heres my mentality when it comes to filters:
K&N - optimum flow and good filtration overall but doesn't filter as well as foam. Keep it to the street, sand, or low dust conditions.

Foam (UNI, Twin Air, etc): A bit more restrictive than K&N but is able to filter much better in high dust conditions. Suitable for all types of riding except for maybe drag racing where a K&N would be more suitable.

^^^^ What he said.:)

MarkyNark
11-01-2005, 05:41 PM
K&N for the sand with an outerwear or pre-filter is the way to go. What everyone else said.:D

aviator4
11-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Yup. ditto

K&N for the sand

UNI for the dirt

Thats how I run my bike, never had a problem. Just keep 'em both clean.

bwamos
11-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Prefilter is a MUST. ;)
Also K&N is what is called a gause type filter.

fiveover
11-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the input. Now I need to find the best price for a K&N with a pre-filter. :D

11-03-2005, 09:17 PM
I dont like to cleen my filter, the oil gets all over my hands and it is sticky...
So I run a uni filter, I take it off with at plastic bag and throw it out. go buy a new one. put it on, and oil it on the bike. lol.

one time after a mx race on a veerry dusty track, and like 1 ride later, went to check on things under the seat, lol filter was fell off. wonder how long it was off for??? Intake was caked with dust and dirt. Engine still runs as strong as ever tho :p

speedfreaksguy
11-04-2005, 12:01 PM
If you can afford to buy a new one every time you're either not riding much, or not cleaning it enough.

bwamos
11-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by mittimj
I dont like to cleen my filter, the oil gets all over my hands and it is sticky...
So I run a uni filter, I take it off with at plastic bag and throw it out. go buy a new one. put it on, and oil it on the bike. lol.

A K&N cleaning is very unmessy.

1) pull off old filter.
2) squirt degreaser on it.
3) Let it sit for about 2min.
4) Wash it off with a hose form the inside.
5) Let it dry off overnight.
6) Spray it with an aresol can of K&N filter oil.
7) Put the prefilter back on.
8) Install the filter.

No oil on your hands at all.

one time after a mx race on a veerry dusty track, and like 1 ride later, went to check on things under the seat, lol filter was fell off. wonder how long it was off for??? Intake was caked with dust and dirt. Engine still runs as strong as ever tho :p

You either overtightened it.. or you got a filter for a 250x. Yes, the 250x filter was one of the parts that changed when the model was changed. Longer stroke/displacement = bigger filter. The Mounting collar and the whole filter is shorter, so it doesn't get a good grip on the 300ex's air box.

Most parts shops think it's the same part. Even at some Honda dealerships. But, if you look it up you will see that Honda & K&N both have different part #'s. I found this out the hard way. I still have the old 250x filter, they are noticably different. Especially where the collar fits up, the 300ex one slides on another 1/4 inch.

HA-3094 Product Specifications (300ex)
Product Style: Round Air Filter
Height: 5 in (127 mm)
Inner Wire: No
Outside Diameter: 4.5 in (114 mm)

HA-2504 Product Specifications (250x)
Product Style: Tapered Conical Air Filter
Base Outside Diameter: 4.75 in (121 mm)
Height: 4.5 in (114 mm)
Inner Wire: No
Top Outside Diameter: 4.5 in (114 mm)

The 250x one almost fits on a 300ex, but it likes to fall off, and is a bit tight on the colar.

Easy way to tell. The 250x filter is conical (bigger at one end than the other), the 300ex is round.

tater_kamik
11-05-2005, 08:14 AM

arent you supposed to oil the uni filters as well?

11-05-2005, 11:47 AM
I have a 400ex ;)
"You either overtightened it.. or you got a filter for a 250x."

but that would have been helpfull....

I oil the uni while it is on the bike with an arisol can of air filter oil, I drench the damn thing.

But I still manage to get it all over me. Me= big mess, that breakes everything in sight. almoast clumsy as heck but way worse... but I am verry balanced, I can ride a unicycle no problem and po-go stick for hours.

tater_kamik
11-05-2005, 01:21 PM
your not supposed to drench it, but i almost never get oil on me, but then i have a k&n, just spray, rinse, dry, spray, dry, install:macho

bwamos
11-07-2005, 08:57 AM
I have a 400ex ;)
"You either overtightened it.. or you got a filter for a 250x."

but that would have been helpfull....

It was late friday.. my brain was already begining it's shutdown process.. lol. ;)

But, it still works for anyone having problems keeping their filter in the 300's ;)