PDA

View Full Version : Diesel truck owners, feed back?

Mxjunkie
10-31-2005, 10:42 PM
My dad and I were looking at diesel trucks, him being a diesel mechanic and me being a autobody guy we were looking into maybe building one this winter, We use to do show cars and pro street cars/trucks but never done a diesel. any feedback on which to go with?

I know turbo cummins and powerstrokes pretty much rule the diesel world, hows chevys? I'll be buying the truck once I am employed again.

I deff want some stacks if we do it lmfao.. I found this picture on the net, pretty badass if you ask me :devil:

http://www.monkey.net/steve/dyno/stacks_1.jpg

ZSK
10-31-2005, 10:57 PM
You can always build an engine that will pull a battle ship gas or diesel, but sending it through a tranny is another problem. A truck or car will only handle what all of the other components will deal with.

Right now it seems like gassers are more popular simply because diesel is running about $1.20 more per gallon in Michigan. I think there is by far more potential lurking in a smoker than a gas truck. Slap an intercooled twin turbo system, with a good exhaust and good tuner and you can get the big trucks down into the 11's pretty easy. I've heard of some diesels turning 9 second quarters and still being streetable.
:devil:

RedRacer44
11-01-2005, 12:18 AM
I switched from being strickly a Chevy gas motor guy to an '02 Dodge Cummins and absolutely love my Cummins. I have simple mods: chip, exhaust intake, etc....runs great! Tows my race trailer with ease, which is why I bought it.

Diesel is right around $3/gallon here, ranging from $2.89 to $3.19...just depending where you go. Its really hurting the wallet but I'm not going back to a gas motor at all possible. I'm getting 22 MPG with no trailer 13-15MPG while towing my race trailer....depending on how I drive.

The tranny worries me, its been acting up here lately and I figure before too long it will have to be replaced. The auto trannys in the Dodges are just junk, get a 6-speed if possible....

BlazingYamahaYz
11-01-2005, 06:03 AM
I have a buddy that has a Cummins...stacks, tons of motor mods, and usually competed in truck pulls...he got alotta first places, the truck is absolutly beautiful. But, he kept having tranny problems so he stopped pulling. I remember seeing a video on the net of a Cummins on a dyno pushing 70psi of boost:eek2: From what I've heard people suggest staying away from Chevy's.

bigvforcer
11-01-2005, 06:49 AM
Cummins are by far the easiest to build followed by the stroker and then the duramax. The Max is a good motor but it takes a lot more $$$$$$$$$ to build it to pull with other brands. Stroker tend to pull better at higher RPMS where as the cummins does better at the lower end due to the torque it produces!

Lots of mods out there but do you have the $$$$ to support it!

4punksdad
11-01-2005, 07:27 AM
I have a chevy diesel. Its nothing more than an Isuzu with an Allison tranny. The allison automatic is hard to beat.

parkers30
11-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by BlazingYamahaYz
I have a buddy that has a Cummins...stacks, tons of motor mods, and usually competed in truck pulls...he got alotta first places, the truck is absolutly beautiful. But, he kept having tranny problems so he stopped pulling. I remember seeing a video on the net of a Cummins on a dyno pushing 70psi of boost:eek2: From what I've heard people suggest staying away from Chevy's.

70 is nothing, factory CAT C-13 Accerts are running just over 50. they'll blow well over that comfortably and seen 150 on a few modded Cummins :D

by they way all that black smoke everyone loves to see it just unburned fuel dumping right out the exhaust

RedRacer44
11-01-2005, 09:27 AM
As far as the duramax goes, I have no personal experiece with them but I hear mixed results. Some people really like them, some people are really dis-appointed. My buddy has a really nice Duramax crew cab w/ exhaust, intake, and "The Edge" adjustable programmer......makes great power but only gets 13-15 MPG EMPTY! He has a 32ft enclosed trailer he uses to haul his dune buggy in and he gets right around 7MPG. The allison auto tranny is tough to beat though from what I've heard.

Every PowerStroke 7.3 diesel I've driven has been a doggy, no running SOB. Thats just my experience though....now the Powerstroke 6.0 diesel runs very well. A co-worker of mine has one with the 6-speed and it will pull its arse off.....great truck.

Derag2
11-01-2005, 11:25 AM
you better go find another 7.3 to get behind, there anything but a dog, jump in a older cummins, not a 04+ and you'll see doggy....... 7.3 is a stout engine, far better than the 6.0 could ever dream of being, the 6.0 makes more power but its not build near as well as the 7.3........

If your gonna truck pull get a cummins, they make big numbers without a ton of money......

for you dodge boys with junk autos, try getting a suncoast transmission, ford guys go with BTS trans,

Chevy guys i dont know, the allison is kind of turning out to be not as good as we all thought........ when you start running htem hard..

RedRacer44
11-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Derag2
you better go find another 7.3 to get behind, there anything but a dog, jump in a older cummins, not a 04+ and you'll see doggy....... 7.3 is a stout engine, far better than the 6.0 could ever dream of being, the 6.0 makes more power but its not build near as well as the 7.3........

Yeah, see I've been told that. I guess I just ran into a few lemons maybe? Its all mixed opinions though, just like anything else. I've got an '02 Cummins and it didnt feel too bad but I only drove it stock for probably a couple of weeks before I threw a chip at it along with exhaust and intake. Love it now!

Where can I get info on these suncoast trannys for an auto Dodge??

MNTNMAN
11-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Both Suncoast and DTT can build one hell of a auto that can hold high HP reliably, but still, go with the 6 speed. The NV5600 can take a hell of a flogging and not get pissed off. A good clutch is alot cheaper than an auto that will hold 500 HP.

My '02 Ram dynoed 496 HP a couple of months ago.

underpowered
11-01-2005, 12:51 PM
diesels rule! as far as what brand, you cant beat a cummins but i would not own a dodge to save my life. the drivetrain of the dodge simpl;y cannot handle the torque of a diesel. The powerjoke is getting better but are harder to mod and just cant keep up with the big dogs, and the d-max is by far teh best all around package. the alison tranny will hold up to nearly anything, the engine is easily upgradeable, ane the drivetrain is strong. the new '06's have 360 HP stock, 600+ lb/ft of torque. a great combo, but for a rebuild, i say find an old 12 valve cummins and redo the drive train on the Dangle-down Dodge. teh old 12-valves are bulletproof and so easily modded with limitless upgrades. htere was one in fourwheeler amgazine last year with over 1000 HP, 1500LB/ft tq and still street legal in a chevy suburban.

AtvMxRider
11-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by parkers30
70 is nothing, factory CAT C-13 Accerts are running just over 50. they'll blow well over that comfortably and seen 150 on a few modded Cummins :D

And the acert is twin turbo charged also. And when was the last time you saw a c13 in a pickup truck?:huh

MNTNMAN
11-01-2005, 01:49 PM
[ htere was one in fourwheeler amgazine last year with over 1000 HP, 1500LB/ft tq and still street legal in a chevy suburban. [/B]

Put that thing on a chasis dyno and you'll get the real #'s. I don't doubt there are 1000 HP engines around, but only at the flywheel.

150 psi, How long did the head gasket stay at home? 1, maybe 2 seconds?

trx400exxracer
11-01-2005, 02:01 PM
I would put a cummins in a Toyota Tundra

I think the truck that has the land speed record has a cummins in a Dodge Dakota and drive it to where they are doing speed records and they 22mpg

But I like the toyota four door crew cab my brother has a tundra and it handles way better than dodges

hondardr4life
11-01-2005, 02:30 PM
My dad has an 03 Chevy Duramax crew cab. He absolutely loves it, you cant beat the Allison tranny either. It has tons of power, that thing rolls tire soooooo easy. I love when he lets me take it :devil: . He's getting 24 mpg highway, and 18/19 city. If it was up to me, I would get a Chevy hands down. I like Dodge's too because they have the best motor, but their trannies are aweful, and fords arent that much better. Go with the chevy, get the all leather interior and the bose sound system, and you will love it.

2k2-300exnj
11-01-2005, 02:34 PM
i have a 2000 ford 350 crew cab diesel dually
not the lightest of them all by any sorts
2.5 inch lift adds a little weight also but not much
i have a western diesel 100hp chip, mbrp 4" from turbo back to 5 inch muffler and tail pipe, afe stage 2 intake with pro gaurd 7 filter and thats it for mods and it dynoed 300 hp to the wheels and 600 ft lbs to the wheels in 98 degree weather the dyno guy told me to add 10% to the numbers because of the heat we were in puttin me at 330 and 660 with a decent burnout to get traction the truck ran a 16.34 with a 15 foot burnout and chirping 2nd on the stock auto trans... my trans and tourqe converter are starting to feel the pain but not to bad yet still a decent amount of miles left on it but all u need it a 3 plate converter for 1100 and a trans say 4000
to make the baddest truck for diesel i would say get a 7.3 year 2000 (so it has forged connecting rods already not powdered metal) f-250 single cab 2 wd put a custom 150-160 hp chip in it, full exhaust with 4 inch downpipe, the afe intake, a ball bearing turbo, banks intercooler, traction bars, and some cheater slicks
i gaurentee you that it will run in the high 12s
but along with that u need to o ring the motor and get the copper head gasket with the heavy duty head studs
it is time consuming and expensive but what hot rod isnt?

bens250ex
11-01-2005, 03:53 PM
im a diesel fanatic i love em.....ok here what ya got we will start with ford...they have great engine the powerstrokes can kick out some crazy power but u need the 7.3 powerstroke with the turbo they are awsome..the new 6.0 arent that great so for the the ford i would look for a 93-96 f250/350 those are some beast right there.....then we go to chevy we take a look and walk away they arent worth it they just arent the big bark to the diesel world... so we travel to the dodge they have a great engine the cummins is a power horse u can crank major power out of theis puppies they also sound mean with an awsome exhaust...the cummins is a well built motor and seems to do well it can pull like crazy too..if i was u i would go with a for or a dodge or u could go with a hybrid deal and get an f250/350 and put the cummins motor in it they make a kit to do i have heard.. when yall start yalls project keep me informed id like to see what yall come up with

Giz400ex
11-01-2005, 04:00 PM
I like'em all! I have alot of exp with the 7.3's and a little with the 6.0's. I would be interested in the max but not sure about there Ally. Ally's have been around for awhile especially in the HD autos and I'm sure that once it goes........your gonna pay HUGE!!! But chances of giving out are slim. I've heard that Dodge has stepped up there tranny the last 2 years:confused: The Cummins is my fav:D

MR.BIG
11-01-2005, 04:06 PM
I would stay with a ford 7.3 or 6.0 diesal tons of power and very reliable.

TM426
11-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Hands down diesel. I had a 97 powerstroke that I built up pretty tough. You can upgrade asperation and gain MPG. You cant do that with a gas motor. I was getting 22 MPG with mine. I had a bigger turbo, down pipe, striaght exhaust, chip, intercooler, injectors, and K&N filter. I was also on 7" of lift with 35s. If I had 35s on my excusion with the V10 I would get like 10 MPG. I made the mistake of getting a gas version. I also had the vortec 454 chevy. That truck was a dog compared to the ford. GO FOR THE DIESEL!!

Giz400ex
11-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
I would stay with a ford 7.3 or 6.0 diesal tons of power and very reliable. I think Ford is STILL working the bugs out on there 6.0's. My father's 04 has been in the shop more than on the road with all the recalls and engine lights. I would still wait to get a 6.0. If your a Ford guy, find a 7.3 PS:D

Derag2
11-01-2005, 04:54 PM
the 6.0 is a joke........ get the 7.3 and be happy..........
Yes dodge beefed up there trannies but they also upped the torque and horse power so there right back where they started, there better but still worse than the other 2........

Sorry but i can garuntee you your not getting 22mpg with 37's....... i can promise you, you didn't correct your speedo when you figured it all up or somthing, a V10 with 35's you looking at about 8, hell they didn't get much better than 10 STOCK..........

Cummins is top dog, but i wouldn't get a dodge, i would thou put a cummins in a Ford.......

As far as ford being hard to mod? i don't think so, they don't make the big numbers as the cummins but its because of the lack of aftermarket support, but there stepping up with bigger injectors and turbos for it....

The D-max makes nice numbers fairly with just a chip, but they don't have alot of aftermark support either.......

The real test will come for 07-08 and see what everyone is gonna do to meet regulations, dodge is suppose to come out with a bigger cummins, ford going to the 6.4, i havn't heard anything from the chevy on there izuzu

Honda TRX250ex
11-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
My dad and I were looking at diesel trucks, him being a diesel mechanic and me being a autobody guy we were looking into maybe building one this winter, We use to do show cars and pro street cars/trucks but never done a diesel. any feedback on which to go with?

I know turbo cummins and powerstrokes pretty much rule the diesel world, hows chevys? I'll be buying the truck once I am employed again.

I deff want some stacks if we do it lmfao.. I found this picture on the net, pretty badass if you ask me :devil:

http://www.monkey.net/steve/dyno/stacks_1.jpg

now thats a truck!!!

400exrider707
11-01-2005, 05:12 PM
My buddy now has 2 f-250s Ones a 96 f-250 7.3 regular cab and long bed, small lift and 33's. All he has is bigger injectors, single exhaust and chip, and riding in it is pretty crazy. It's hard to imagine a truck that big going that fast, it felt like riding in my buddies 94 z28. The tranny is starting to go though, and it slips when you have the chip in either of the last two positions. Diesels are by far the coolest sounding trucks with a big exhaust!

Hondadudeehhhh
11-01-2005, 05:21 PM
my uncle has a dodge 3500 dually and i dont think he'll ever drive anything different. I also drove an f 350 power stroke and that thing was sweet, i dont know if i like it as much as my dad's v10 f 350.

TM426
11-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Sorry but i can garuntee you your not getting 22mpg with 37's....... i can promise you, you didn't correct your speedo when you figured it all up or somthing, a V10 with 35's you looking at about 8, hell they didn't get much better than 10 STOCK..........

How about that "garuntee". LOL
I did all the work personally before I did the lift with 35's. As far as the excursion goes, I get 13-15 MPG. What did yours get since you know it all, chief?

;)

ninis470
11-01-2005, 05:58 PM
i love my cummins

Killa250ex
11-01-2005, 06:01 PM
My Buddies '04 2500 w/ a cummins...

Sorry about picture quality, I took this with my Phone

It has a 10" suspension lift

ZSK
11-01-2005, 06:18 PM
I know somebody has the video of the powerstroke (Cummins transplant) stomping the RX7 in the quarter.

The ford V-10's get alot better mileage than you think. 15 mpg is usually average if you keep your foot out of them.

Mechanix311
11-01-2005, 08:17 PM
we have two dodge diesels one a 2500 4x4 and one a 3500 two wheel drive. They are both the older 12 valve engines and they are deffinetely boggy no doubt. They fire up every morning just the same and run great to boot. They have always had a mini excavator or backhoe behind them and they do very well. The auto trannies do suck but the 5 speed and 6 speed trannies are good. The 3500 has 420 thousand on the odo and the 2500 has 240 thousand. A trannie has been replaced in both of them and the only reason the manual trannie went was because it had an oil leak that got out of hand and wasnt fixed. OOOpppps. I have seen alot of powestrokes and duramaxes fall apart when you put them to work and i have seen others stay together. Fords are a tough truck and i dont know much about the chevys. I worked for dodge as a mechanic and the only major malfunction with the new cummins motor seemed to be injection pumps. Dodge bodies just fall apart around the engine it seems like.

thrasher_ex
11-01-2005, 08:35 PM
I personally like duramax the best. cummins are almost as nice, just need a good auto tranny and they would take the cake. dont get me started on those peterstrokers, what a joke.....my dad's 04 3500 ext. cab dually with exhaust, edge attitude adjustable chip, and intake pulls like a SOB! I cant wait to see someone that puts one of those or a cummins in a lightweight car for drag racing lol

LTZ400rider
11-01-2005, 10:24 PM
my dad has a 04 durmax, still tryin to convince him to mod it

are all chevy diesels made by isuzu? if so does that make them japanese?

does allison make manual transmissions?

do 6 speeds shift smoothly?

heres the f350 vs. rx7
http://dieselinnovations.com/gallery2/d/6487-2/maddog_lasvegas_run.wmv

and the famous snow white truck
11.550 i think its the world fastest 7.3, not sure though. its street legal too

http://dieselinnovations.com/images/sw_baytown_2_800_600.jpg

4punksdad
11-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by ZSK

The ford V-10's get alot better mileage than you think. 15 mpg is usually average if you keep your foot out of them.

horse****............I have 2 of them.

ZSK
11-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
horse****............I have 2 of them.

Friend of the family has an F-250 V10 auto, Ext cab short box, 4 wheel drive. He sees a consistant 15 mpg on the expressway. Maybe his is a fluke.:confused:

4punksdad
11-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by ZSK
Friend of the family has an F-250 V10 auto, Ext cab short box, 4 wheel drive. He sees a consistant 15 mpg on the expressway. Maybe his is a fluke.:confused:

maybe his is running 3:55 rears or something. My F-350 dually with 4:30 rears and my Excursion with 4:10's both get around 10mpg average. Both are 4x4 with stock size tires. Both get run........not babied

You can't base average fuel mileage on downhill highway runs while coasting in neutral, which is how most folks like to justify their large displacement engines or diesels.

not doubting your word.........just questioning his method of measurement. :D

MNTNMAN
11-02-2005, 09:18 AM
GoHERE (http://redrocketdiesel.com/Videos/Texas_04/RRR2.MPG)

To see Snow White lose

underpowered
11-02-2005, 11:23 AM
the 7.3 actually are not great powerhouses. the cummins is by far the best motor out there, then the D-max and lastly the stroker. teh powerstrokes are hard to get realy big numbers out of. the d-maxes are easy. there is an 01 d-max around here, 125 hp chip, edge box, 05 pcm custom burned, 5" exhaust all the way back from downpipe, large downpipe, 35" tire, est. over 500 horse at the wheels, some say over 600. took third at truck pull this year because he didn get into the throtle. lost to an 800HP cummins with dyno sheet to prove it. the D-max runs 12's in teh quarter, 4.8 sec 0-60