PDA

View Full Version : 300ex cylinder head

MICHIGAN 300EX
10-31-2005, 07:37 PM
hey guys im going to be taking the head off of my 2003 300ex this weekend due to their being a stripped bolt hole on it. im planning on drilling it out and installing a heilicoil to fix this problem. while i have the head off im going to adjust the valves and check the valve seals. im also going to redo the timing. Is their any tips or tricks to adjust the valvetrain for optimal performance, if not im just going to set it back to factory specs. any comments are appriciated.

Thanks!!!

bwamos
11-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Factory specs.
Noone really advances timing, or whatnot on the 300ex like you can on others. Outside of porting, cam, oversized valves, you pretty much just set it to factor specs.

Note: most of the manuals are WRONG on the torque of the head cover bolts. Most sat 17 ft-lbs. You want 7 ft-lbs. It's a misprint. Probably why you stripped out your bolt. ;) Not the big 10mm head bolts, but the large cluster of like (11) 6mm bolts that hold on the valve cover.

kd5sfq
11-01-2005, 02:38 PM
One tip I would offer is that you get a piece of cardboard and sketch the shape of the head cover on it... As you take the bolts out of the head cover, place them into the correct location in the cardboard...

Else it's a pain trying to figure out where each bolt goes because they are all different lengths...

MICHIGAN 300EX
11-01-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by kd5sfq
One tip I would offer is that you get a piece of cardboard and sketch the shape of the head cover on it... As you take the bolts out of the head cover, place them into the correct location in the cardboard...

Else it's a pain trying to figure out where each bolt goes because they are all different lengths...

Thanks!! thats a really good idea, that will save some time when i put it back together.

bwamos
11-02-2005, 12:29 PM
I do about the same thing.. I draw the head on a paper and number each hole. Then tag each bolt with masking tape and a number.

I do this instead of poking it through because I can store it in my tool cabinet drawer easier if I have it opened up for more than a couple hours. ;)