PDA

View Full Version : Huck Finn Experts Needed Again--Wilkin250r!!!

CaptainCanuck
10-31-2005, 07:22 PM
Okay, I'm at it again with another Huck Finn essay. My teacher is very picky and I need some help again. Here's the topic:

Huck begins and ends the novel revealing discomfort with being "sivilized". Why do you think he feels this way? What do you think Twain's message is?

I'm having a hard time discovering Twain's message. And I can't completely get a grip on why Huck doesn't like being civilized. Help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot.

CaptainCanuck
10-31-2005, 08:21 PM
Anyone?

exboy
10-31-2005, 09:23 PM
sorry dude i read it two years ago and cant remember nothin:ermm:

CaptainCanuck
10-31-2005, 10:30 PM
Yeah, i know how it is. I cant even remember things i read from 2 months ago...haha...I just cant wait until Wilkons reads this. The guy is unbelievably smart. He helped me out so much with my last essay.

CaptainCanuck
11-01-2005, 07:23 AM
Bump

4punksdad
11-01-2005, 07:25 AM
my sister owns a restaurant named huck finn's in Ocala Florida. Not sure that applies though. :D

wilkin250r
11-01-2005, 09:23 AM
It's been several years since I've read the story, and this one is a bit more difficult than the last one.

Huck's discomfort with being civilized is really easy, but I'm not sure about Twain's message. So lets concentrate on Huck, first.

Huck is not civilized. Never has been. Growing up, he made his own rules, and his own code of ethics. Now, because he was young while he developed these rules and ethics, they don't exactly coincide with the rules and ethics of civilized society.

Quite simply, it means Huck has to change.

For Huck to become civilized, he has to change the way he dresses, change his grooming and hygiene (take a bath more often), change the way he speaks and addresses people, and change the way he eats. EVERYTHING that Huck knows has to change in order to conform with the norms of society.

Put yourself in a similar situation. Imagine you were forced to join an monastary, or an Amish society. No quads, no cursing, no video games. Bedtime is 9:00pm, wakeup is 5:00am, church and prayer every day. You have strict guidelines on your clothes, and NO private interludes with the opposite sex. You would have to change your mannerisms, speach, actions, and code of ethics. It would be a major change.

That's what Huck is going through as he gets "sivilized". It's not too surprising that Huck isn't too keen on the idea.

Now, what is Twain's message through all this? I'm not entirely sure, I would have to go back and read it again.

CaptainCanuck
11-01-2005, 12:43 PM
You're a life saver Wilkins. You don't mind if i ask for your help again the future do you?

wilkin250r
11-01-2005, 02:26 PM
I'll tell you what I can from memory, as long as it's easy. So far, these have been easy.

But if it requires me to go back and read the story for specific details, you're on your own. :p

CaptainCanuck
11-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Haha. I actually just finished my essay up. It's half decent. It only needed to be about 850 words. I could send it to you if youd like. Thanks again man.

wilkin250r
11-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Sure send it to me, I'd like to read it. If you like, I'll proofread it for you.

If you still have the first, send me that one, too.

wilkin250r@msn.com

redlineranger
11-01-2005, 04:46 PM
i dont read at all, its a waste of my time.... were sposed to be reading this gay book called animal farm and we got like a chapter 1-5 quiz tomorrow or thursday, and i havent read the first page:ermm:

wilkin250r
11-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by redlineranger
i dont read at all, its a waste of my time.... were sposed to be reading this gay book called animal farm and we got like a chapter 1-5 quiz tomorrow or thursday, and i havent read the first page:ermm:

Chapters 1-5. That's easy.

Uh, the animals take over the farm, and the pigs appoint themselves as leaders, because they're the only ones that learn how to read, all the other animals are too stupid.

I think that's about all that happens in the first 5 chapters.

11-01-2005, 04:58 PM

just read a detailed summary on the net, thats what i do:ermm:

redlineranger
11-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Chapters 1-5. That's easy.

Uh, the animals take over the farm, and the pigs appoint themselves as leaders, because they're the only ones that learn how to read, all the other animals are too stupid.

I think that's about all that happens in the first 5 chapters.

thanks dude i'll be needing you for help on this story alot here for the next 2 weeks:rolleyes:

CaptainCanuck
11-01-2005, 06:10 PM
you have no idea who you're effin with...his help is priceless dude. Hes getting me though college.

edit: I just sent the essay Wilkins. Hope you enjoy it.

redlineranger
11-01-2005, 07:59 PM
^^ what did i say something bad about him... all i said was i'll be needing his help, if he doesnt mind that is... i put the rolleyes thing meaning how i hate reading

fast426
11-01-2005, 08:29 PM
www.sparknotes.com is how i read my books. it saves alot of time

CaptainCanuck
11-02-2005, 07:33 AM
^^ what did i say something bad about him... all i said was i'll be needing his help, if he doesnt mind that is... i put the rolleyes thing meaning how i hate reading
sorry i misunderstood.

exriderdude
11-02-2005, 08:00 AM
i dont read at all, its a waste of my time....

says the man reading gossip on an internet forum....

btw, i thought animal farm was gay when i first started reading it in 10th grade too, turned out to be pretty good and relatable :)

wilkin250r
11-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by exriderdude
btw, i thought animal farm was gay when i first started reading it in 10th grade too, turned out to be pretty good and relatable :)

I thought it was retarded. What was the stupid point of the book? That power corrupts? Yeah, we knew that already, we didn't need a book about it.

redlineranger
11-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by exriderdude
says the man reading gossip on an internet forum....

the only thing i ever read is the first post of a thread, then post my reply:o .... if its a picture thread i just look at all the pics

Plante400
11-02-2005, 03:39 PM
bookrags.com is good too

hessianmx111
11-02-2005, 03:56 PM
I read Animal Farm last year for English 2 and I thought it was a pretty decent book and I don't really like reading at all.

11-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by hessianmx111
I read Animal Farm last year for English 2 and I thought it was a pretty decent book im with you...except i like to read sometimes

exboy
11-02-2005, 05:32 PM
i would have had to read it over the summer if i wouldnt have changed schools, my old school makes u read two books over the summer and write reports about them then after like the first week of school they give a test on the bookds... its gay i know, one of the reasons i hated the school so bad