PDA

View Full Version : wat mods for woods racing

250rider1
10-31-2005, 07:19 PM
i was gonna sell the 250 ex and buy a cr125 but i raced the haspin halloween 100 and came in 1st in my class so im deciding on keeping it and maybe doin a little racing with it. its got a filter, nerf bars, handle bars and holeshot xct tires on the rear. wat other mods would be good for woods racing. please no bashing on " u shouldnt waste time and money on a 250" cuz i beat modded 300's. thanx

ZeroLogic
10-31-2005, 08:12 PM
shocks extended a arms (if they make it) new front tires full exaust

and you wont beat any modded 300ex i can bet you that

drifterx
11-01-2005, 07:57 AM
Hermann makes +2 a-arms for the 250ex. If you really want to keep your 250, pick up a set, plus new front tires, shocks all around, a full exhaust, and a descent front bumper.

zeppelin
11-01-2005, 02:07 PM
if you are really getting serious about racing and you really dont want to move up to a 300, then i would say new front tires(razrs imo) shocks all around, a steering damper, good full pipe (you probably want to stick with an alumin sytem like an fmf Q since they are more durable than ti and cheaper), i would get a cam and maybe even a piston (depending on how serious you are about racing) leave the width of your bikealone, the narrowness is one of the good thing about the 250.

bwamos
11-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Razr2 fronts, steering dampener, ITP Baha Rims as a bare minimum.

Honestly, I'd upgrade to a least a 400ex before jacking with the suspension to much. Mainly, because even with a good suspension you're just won't have the same gemoetry. The 250ex's were designed for casual riding. 400ex & 450r were designed for racing. The 250x & 300ex were designed for lawyers.. but that's a whole story of its own.. lol.

250rider1
11-02-2005, 03:55 PM
i already have beat modded 300s (zerologoic) and about gettin a 400 or 450. i got a 250r set up for mx and i gotta keep the 250ex for my lil bro so i might as well race the ex in the woods while i got it so upgrading is prolly not gonna be an option right now. wat kind of steering damper and suspension would u recomend. i dont want something ridiculously expensive but i dont want cheap junk either. im lookin at hmf for an exhaust and itp c series wheels. tell me wat u think.

bwamos
11-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Dampener.. if you want a fairly cheap one that is rebuildable.. I've been using the Denton Stick dampener for years.

ITP C is the cast version right? I have no experience with them. Sorry. I use ITP T-9's. Cast would seem to brittle to me. I'd be to afraid theyd crack/break if you hit a rock too hard instead of bending a little. DNF vs After Race Repair.

T-9 Pro's up front.
http://www.itptires.com/images/itpt9proseries.gif

T-9 Baha's in the rear.
http://www.itptires.com/images/bajawheelpic.gif

250rider1
11-03-2005, 11:39 AM
i have the t9 pros on my 250r but i didnt know how they were in the woods. but i havent riden the r in the woods much so i guess ill take ur opinion on the wheels. how much is the steering dampener from denton and do they make it for the 250

bwamos
11-04-2005, 01:14 PM
The denton is about $150 for the rebuildable one. About $30 less for the standard one. It's fairly expensive, but not one of the $400 ones, and will last a LOT longer than the $75 ones. It will keep those bars from breaking your hip when you smack a small stump or rock just right.

Can probably get it from C&D, I would imagine.

The T-9's and Baha's are a great low budget alternative. My #1 would obviously be Hyper's which actually could cost less over the long haul. ;) But the initial investment is fairly steep.

The T-9 pros will only last if you have 6-ply front tires. If you run 4-ply you'll want the baha's up front too. I just like the pros because they keep the front end a little easier to pull up to clear logs, cross ruts, etc..

I run 4'ply in the rear w/ slime, so I need the Bahas or the rims would be toast after 1 race.. lol.

chapmanmd
11-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Ive been running Douglas Shamrock Beadlocks for years. I love them personally.

Do what makes you happy bro. Racing is racing.

Also, Ive had real good luck with the PEP stabilizer.