PDA

View Full Version : A wench for my ex?

KingKash420
10-31-2005, 07:14 AM
Ok so here is the deal, I love my 400ex but since i ride some pretty nasty trails and constantly get stuck, I have to break my back pull/pushing my quad out from where ever it gets stuck.. so i started to think about it and a tow wench seems like it would solve my problems.. does anyone have a 400ex with a wench?

i am looking for a nice compact unit with enough power to pull my ex out of a ditch.. does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks for the help..

MR.BIG
10-31-2005, 07:20 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about your ex being a wench. I think you mean winch but its all good.

Trevor
10-31-2005, 07:28 AM
Yeah me too. I thought she may have left ya for another woman LOL:D

10-31-2005, 07:28 AM
warn makes a winch, the 1500 series ithink, that they advertise for use on sportquads...i thought about buying one for my 400ex, but i don't think their mounting bracket will work with my ac bumper...

KingKash420
10-31-2005, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Trevor
Yeah me too. I thought she may have left ya for another woman LOL:D

i have a ac bumper too.. any other suggestions?

TheX1992
10-31-2005, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by KingKash420
i have a ac bumper too.. any other suggestions?

Fab a bracket and hide in under the rear grab bar?

KingKash420
10-31-2005, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by TheX1992
Fab a bracket and hide in under the rear grab bar?

ok well after making this thread i decided to do some research.. the warn 1.5 ci seems to me like it is the best choice for what i am looking for.. and seeing as it packs 1500lbs of towing force in a 11.5 pound unit.. it has a pretty good power to weight ratio..

this is the link to the warn 1.5 unit i am interested in..

http://www.warn.com/atv/winches/15_ci.shtml

the only problem is the unit is designed to work with the stock bumper and I have a ac bumper so i may have a problem..

here is where what the warn unit looks like mounted and going through the stock bumper:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/one-sik-teg/stock-bumper.jpg

so because i already ahve an ac bumper and love it there is no way i would go back to stock.. i was thinking if i cut some or all of the webbing out of the ac bumper it would solve the problem.. do you guys agree.. here is a picture:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/one-sik-teg/ac-bumper.jpg

let me know if you think this is a bad idea.. and if you think $260 is a bad price for the warn winch and the mounting kit..

also how hard do you think it is to install?

parkers30
10-31-2005, 11:35 AM
from what I have seen the warn winch mounts to the upper mount 'tabs' of the stock front bumper which are completely different than than 'tabs' of the bumper you have pictured

the factory ones are small diameter steel tube and the AC's are larger diameter aluminum tube which is welded on at an upward angle, which is what very well may cause you problems, I'd call and talk to Warn if I were you and see what they have to say about the problem

KingKash420
10-31-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by parkers30
from what I have seen the warn winch mounts to the upper mount 'tabs' of the stock front bumper which are completely different than than 'tabs' of the bumper you have pictured

the factory ones are small diameter steel tube and the AC's are larger diameter aluminum tube which is welded on at an upward angle, which is what very well may cause you problems, I'd call and talk to Warn if I were you and see what they have to say about the problem

i just got off the phone with warn tech support and they said that the winch kit mounts completley to the frame and has nothing to do with the front bumper.. do you still think i will have a problem with the ac bumper?

are you saying the ac bumper is mounted to a different spot then the stocker?

parkers30
10-31-2005, 01:13 PM
Warn is the all knowing creator, I have never seen one in person, just pictures, I guess I havent seen goo enough pictures, if that right, your idea should wook just fine, or you might even ba able to mount it up a little higher and not have to take out the mesh at all

400exrules
10-31-2005, 01:19 PM
you will prob have to cut out the middle of your AC, like you showed in the picture so the hook can get through their, otherwise it will get in the way of the wench and block it

Quad18star
10-31-2005, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
I thought this thread was going to be about your ex being a wench. I think you mean winch but its all good.

ROFL ... I was thinking the exact same thing . I figured it was gunna be another " My ex left me .... she's a damn wench !!!" kind of thread .

But like the others have said , Warn makes a Sport Quad series winch . It's a very nice compact winch . We sell them at work and those that have bought them seem to like them . If you're really good , you can cut out part of your AC bumper and weld a roller fairlead into it . :)

KingKash420
10-31-2005, 01:53 PM
well i just placed my order, it came out to $275 for the winch, 400ex mounting kit, and a protective case..

I know it is expensive but after all the times i broke my back and busted my balls pulling my ex out of places i think it is well worth it.. plus if i ever sell my ex I can always remount the winch on my next quad..

I will let you guys know how it goes

400exrules
10-31-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by KingKash420
well i just placed my order, it came out to $275 for the winch, 400ex mounting kit, and a protective case..

I know it is expensive but after all the times i broke my back and busted my balls pulling my ex out of places i think it is well worth it.. plus if i ever sell my ex I can always remount the winch on my next quad..

I will let you guys know how it goes

i think its worth it...i know what its like to be stuck:ermm:

richc83
10-31-2005, 04:24 PM
ive been thinking about getting one.....keep us updated as to how you like it.

QuadJunkies
10-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
I thought this thread was going to be about your ex being a wench. I think you mean winch but its all good. LMFAO!!! So DID I!!! :p