PDA

View Full Version : Question for smart ATV`ERS?

super_man37366
06-19-2002, 04:45 PM
If you had a motor and it was a 229cc and then bored it to a 243cc how much would it help the machine? I know alot of you guys with 400ex bore them to like a 406 and stuff so I was just wandering how much it would help.... and by the way if this helps I am talking about the 250ex.. would it give it more TOP END if you bored it to that?????????? b/c I dont want to pay 330 dollars if it want thankz guys.. later please resond with some help..

super_man37366
06-19-2002, 05:32 PM
bump......please ne one......

phatswinn
06-19-2002, 05:33 PM
theres no replacement for displacement a bigger motor is commonly gunna give you more power thruout the power band, with a cam a pipe and some air box mods it will gain more power than just the kit, id say go for it, a new pipes gunna be about that much and ull get better power gain from a bigger motor

super_man37366
06-19-2002, 05:37 PM
thankz alot pal.....

06-19-2002, 06:18 PM
cant u give it taht kind of a bore by boring it out because if so it shouldnt cost that much. But also you wont get much speed because you cant put another bigger sproket but if you wont power id do it when u have the engine apart mine as well do some engine work (cam valves ect........)
killer

harebounder
06-19-2002, 10:36 PM
Also take a look at how much it will help if you don't do the other mods such as pipe air box. If you are just going to bore it out and not let it breath the engine work will be unnoticeable. Once you do this to a machine like that you will lose it's trade in value. When you have to tip the scales make sure you look at both sides. How much will you lose on tradeing the machine in to get something bigger to suffice the money to make what you have faster. For example you said something like 300 for the bore then 300 to 400 for a pipe 30 for filter air box mods. If you want to go faster maybe your money will be better spent upgradeing to a bigger machine.

CR125Rider
06-20-2002, 09:54 AM
hey, i think it would help, but you'd have to get all the stuff, like pipe, cam, filter, and the other usual stuff for it to gain a noticable amount of power. I don't think you can really gain a lot just by boring it that little. A guy at the Honda dealer i go to says that taking like that little bit off the walls of the cylinder isn't really going to help at all, more of a publicity thing. But i think if you got everything with the bore job, you'd notice some power gain. But i could be wrong, well goodluck.

phatswinn
06-20-2002, 10:00 AM
hey cr125rider, welcome to the site

CR125Rider
06-20-2002, 10:14 AM
Its an awesome site, thanks for the welcome

MX26
06-20-2002, 07:14 PM
The 250EX is shaft driven, cant change the gearing.

The engine boring alone wouldn't be all that great. The bigger CC, the more torque/low end. Its all the components that go along with it that make the engine faster. The 250EX is somewhat limited due to the fact that it is shaft driven, and you cant play with the gearing. I'm not too familiar with this motor, but you might see if some of the 250X components are interchangable. If you could find a higher rev box, cam, and add a good pipe, you could get a good 8+HP. 8HP is alot, and might be pushing it. If all your mods work well together, you could make your EX alot faster. Good luck.

Jimmy Lee
06-20-2002, 11:32 PM
your best bet would be a new pipe K&N filter and a jet kit!
In order for an engine to run you must have 2 things. Fuel and Fire. The Jet kit will increase the fuel. With an open Filter element Your engine will breathe easier and the pipe will help it exhale run high octane fuel its not that the fuel will give you more power but it ignites at a lower temp there fore causing the engine to run cooler and cleaner. If its more power you want you may consider buying a bigger quad in all honesty boring a 250 ex is kind of a waste! just add the pipe filter and jet kit and in all honesty youll probably get the power difference youre looking for!
JJ

CR125Rider
06-21-2002, 07:17 AM
I agree with JimmyLee!!!!