PDA

View Full Version : what all to get with the 460

hotrodbelair
10-30-2005, 08:25 PM
i made up my mind im gonna go with the 460 in my ex. but i got a few questions. first if i get a hotrod crank would i half to have any work done to my cases? this is the setup im gonna go with, hotrod crank and rod with weisco 12:1 piston, stage 2 hotcam, send the head out to get port&polish with 3 angle valvejob, all new valve train. any idea of how much hp this will make? also is there anything else i can do to get more power? thanks im also gonna wait and get more money saved up to do this im gonna do my suspension first.

MarkyNark
10-30-2005, 10:50 PM
You might as well get 1mm oversize valves at the same time. You'll also need a bigger oil cooler tank or something else to cool down the oil. You're stock clutch wont hold either. I went with the Hinson basket and +1 clutch kit and barnett springs. The springs the Hinson one comes with dont work good. You'll be in the 45 - 50 hp range or so. That would be my best guess. You'll also need an exhaust that flow better with all that. I've been doing some research with Supertrapp discs, and I think the CT racing exhaust they have is probably one of the better performers. There are others out there that have the supertrapp and thats important to be able to tune your exhaust with those kind of mods.

hotrodbelair
10-31-2005, 05:21 PM
from what i hear u dont need a oversized oil tank cause all it does is it takes longer for it to heat up. ill probaly get a secondary or oversize oilcooler. and i was looking at either the tc exhaust or the spakrs x6 exhaust.

MarkyNark
10-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by hotrodbelair
from what i hear u dont need a oversized oil tank cause all it does is it takes longer for it to heat up. ill probaly get a secondary or oversize oilcooler. and i was looking at either the tc exhaust or the spakrs x6 exhaust.

If the oil tank cools as well as holds more, than that wouldnt be the case. If you get a larger cooler, than that would be fine. But simply a larger tank wont be as good as one that also cools and/or a larger cooler. There's a pretty big difference in the oil tanks out there, I suggest you research them.

As far as exhaust, there is nothing wrong with the Sparks. But like I've said, having adjustability with the supertrapp disks is where all the serious riders are going. ESR makes an awesome exhaust that also has supertrapp disks. The reason why this is such a good modification is because the supertrapp disks have a scavenging affect on exhaust, and actually aid the exhaust gas removal, better than a normal turndown. Plus, being adjustable, you can add/remove disks to change the power characteristics without changing the entire exhaust system.

In fact, I've seen supetrapp exhaust tips make just as much horsepower as a slip on system - no joke - thats how good they are.

hotrodbelair
10-31-2005, 06:01 PM
my friend had a supertrap endcap on his ronwoods stage 2 ds. he also had a turndown tip and the super trap had more lowend i think not sure its been a while since i rode it

MarkyNark
10-31-2005, 06:31 PM
Add more disks and you get more top end, thats the beauty of it.

underpowered
11-01-2005, 05:52 AM
definitally do suspension first. my buddy tried a 460 with stock suspension, not good. just too much power for it to handle.

he did hot rod crank, JE 13:1 piston, kibble white 1mm oversize valves, port and polish, MSD ignition, 450r carb, and GT thunder exhaust. guessing he is in the low 50HP range with all this.

we had to grind down one skirt of teh piston, modify the counterbalancer, and do a few other small things to mak eit work properly. it has been together for about 3 months with no problems. seems to be one of the fastest bikes i have ever ridden. it also revs suprising quick, quicker than my 426 even.

hotrodbelair
11-01-2005, 04:20 PM
yea im gonna do suspension first. i was thinking of doin the motor first but i have no idea whats all in this thing all i know it has 440 my brother didnt asked much when he bought it. but i raced my buddys 265r i could hang with him from first through 4th he was in 5th didnt have enough room to get to sixth but he probaly would have pulled away from me i was 3 quad lengths back. and the only thing wrong with the motor is the sidecover leaks a little bit and runs rich so im gonna stick with that for a little while. i did a compression test on it not to long ago and it came out to 120 psi any ideas of what compression that is? im thinking its 11:1. sorry for the long post.