PDA

View Full Version : Opinions On Flat Track Tires

400EX Stud
10-30-2005, 05:49 PM
I am just starting out at flat tracking. I am looking for some opinions on what tires are good. I have been looking and noticed the different compounds. What is the difference between the hard and soft and all the ones in between. Do they handle different or do ones just last longer than others? I thank everyone for their input.

hardkoratvmxr
10-30-2005, 07:02 PM
imo get hoosiers

prepracing
10-30-2005, 07:07 PM
the softer compunds obviously will not last as long, but will give you more grip/traction than the hard compunds.

wilkin250r
10-31-2005, 11:47 AM
This is one of those topics that is filled with stupidity. Really.

People say to run Hoosiers, because they are good flattrack tires. But anybody that runs hoosiers at my local track is left in the dust, because our track is way too loose and soft, even muddy in some spots, other spots are almost like sand. The Hoosiers just don't have the bite to them that my track needs. The best tire at my track is probably Holeshots, inflated to 7psi or so.

Hoosiers are good for really hard-pack, almost like asphalt.

What kind of surface does your track have?

400EX Stud
10-31-2005, 12:27 PM
The track that I have Been running is hard pack. I don't know what the other tracks are like here in MO. I plan on running some Nationals too. It's usually a mix of Hoosier and American racer tires at the local track.

Dust_1503
10-31-2005, 02:38 PM
Hoosiers you can get them in a 59x10x10 or a 59x10x9. The 9 inch is a brand new tire that came out this summer. The nine inch is available in a RD12 or a RD15 compound the RD12 being the soft compound. The 10" comes in more compound choices between softer and a harder. They both come in a small crossblock pattern. There is also the tri tracs but they aren't as used as much as the crossblock pattern.