PDA

View Full Version : confused about lugnuts

Honda#4
10-30-2005, 04:15 PM
im confused on how to put the lugnuts on which way is it the flat side in or tapered side in i want to know cause i bought tires and their coming soon and i dont want to screw things up. and do u have to put a washer on the aftermarket ones because i herd that they dont come with one and were would u get them.
I need a answer quick.

DaleJrFan
10-30-2005, 04:25 PM
if you are just putting new tires on the same rims, you dont have to use aftermarket lugs. on stock rims, the tapered side goes inward, no washers necessary.

Honda#4
10-30-2005, 04:43 PM
im getting aftermarket rims and tires so then what. could u post pics on that.

shorgasm
10-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Set the nut into the hole and it will become obviuos why it goes that way.It is self-centering.

Honda#4
10-30-2005, 06:56 PM
ok thanks

ThumPIN_450R
10-30-2005, 07:21 PM
if the rims are flat by the lug holes the flat side of the nut goes inward if it is tapered the tapered end of the nut goes in and if you have douglas ultimate wheels with the billet center you will need different nuts.

Honda#4
10-30-2005, 07:26 PM
no i bought itp t-9's with holeshot hd's

Honda#4
10-31-2005, 10:59 AM
i thought that if u turned the nuts around u aint never gonna get the tires off.

shorgasm
10-31-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
if the rims are flat by the lug holes the flat side of the nut goes inward if it is tapered the tapered end of the nut goes in and if you have douglas ultimate wheels with the billet center you will need different nuts.

Wrong.....The 'acorn' style nuts go with the beveled edge in..No two ways about it.They are made that way to slef center.Think about it for a second.Four holes larger than the stud they go over.If you put flat nuts on they will not center themselves.Acorn style have to fit concentric.It's really very simple.

400exrider707
10-31-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by shorgasm
Wrong.....The 'acorn' style nuts go with the beveled edge in..No two ways about it.They are made that way to slef center.Think about it for a second.Four holes larger than the stud they go over.If you put flat nuts on they will not center themselves.Acorn style have to fit concentric.It's really very simple.

WRONG! that is how they work with stock rims, but with aftermarket rims the lug holes are almost the exact size as the lugs, so the acorn shape isn't necessary. I personally dont use the stock lug nuts with aftermarket rims, IMO you should just get the flange nuts that are made for that style rim. Your local dealer should stock them and it will only be about $5.

shorgasm
10-31-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
WRONG! that is how they work with stock rims, but with aftermarket rims the lug holes are almost the exact size as the lugs, so the acorn shape isn't necessary. I personally dont use the stock lug nuts with aftermarket rims, IMO you should just get the flange nuts that are made for that style rim. Your local dealer should stock them and it will only be about $5.

Go right ahead smart guy..The holes on aftermarket are larger than the studs.They WILL move around.Albeit not as much play but any is enough.This is how the studs get stressed.This also how the holes get elongated.Plus acorn threads apply two more lines to grip the stud..I guess Honda/Suzuki/kawasaki has just been wasting there time?:ermm:

Do you know what concentric means?
It is plain and simple the proper way to do it..:tired:

Honda#4
10-31-2005, 08:03 PM
i see in the rocky mountain cataloge that they have flange nuts but they r 10mm and my lug nuts r 17mm so how does that work. what other flange nuts can u get.

Rich250RRacer
10-31-2005, 09:10 PM
Go right ahead smart guy..The holes on aftermarket are larger than the studs.They WILL move around.Albeit not as much play but any is enough.This is how the studs get stressed.This also how the holes get elongated.Plus acorn threads apply two more lines to grip the stud..I guess Honda/Suzuki/kawasaki has just been wasting there time?:ermm:

I have to jump in here, because MOST aftermarket wheels have holes almost exactly the same size as the studs, unless you get one that has seats for tapered nuts. If you put the tapered side towards the wheel on a wheel that does not required a tapered nut, the taper will crush into the soft aluminum and embed it into the threads, often making it difficult to remove the wheel. I know this from first hand experience when I had a friend put my paddles on my quad and they put the nuts on tapered side in. The wheels had to be knocked off with a hammer and the holes filed to get them back on.

prepracing
10-31-2005, 09:21 PM

whatever....... :rolleyes: you only use the tapered side of a lugnut if the rim has tapered holes. aftermarket wheels like T-9's ( the newest T-9's do offer tapered sleeved holes like stock rims ) and douglas red,black,blue labels do not have tapered holes so you should use the flat side of the lug nut against the rim. Stock rims that have the tapered hole are sleeved and must use the tapered side to self center the rim. But if you do not use the flat side of the lugnut on rims that have no tapered hole it will be just like Rich250RRacer said. If you search there have been several people on hear that have encountred the problems of their rims being stuck to the studs due to putting lugnuts on wrong. Come on people just use a little common sense when looking at the rims and your lugnuts, it should be obvious how to mount them :macho

400exrider707
11-01-2005, 12:37 AM

Why dont you shut up and think about what you say before you speak. Have you ever seen an aftermarket wheel before? If you run the acorn side into the aluminum wheels its going to mess up your wheels and make them a PITA to get off. :rolleyes:

400exrider707
11-01-2005, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Honda#4
i see in the rocky mountain cataloge that they have flange nuts but they r 10mm and my lug nuts r 17mm so how does that work. what other flange nuts can u get.

I think they are the same. Your stock lug nuts aren't 17mm per say, thats just what size socket you use to take them off. Call rocky mountain directly and they can tell you which ones you need. Either way I still wouldn't use the stockers, not even the flat side, just get those flange nuts.

shorgasm
11-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Ya know you guys could be right..I've had aftermarket beads that had tapered holes.Now that I think about it..It does make sense that the nuts would dig in.My bad.I stand corrected.:ermm:

I guess checking for tapered holes and fitment size would suffice to which would work better.

I could've done without the shut-up comment though.;)

EXMARK
11-01-2005, 11:54 AM
After market itp t9's with stock lugs turned backwards with the flat side to the rim.

400exrider707
11-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Ya know you guys could be right..I've had aftermarket beads that had tapered holes.Now that I think about it..It does make sense that the nuts would dig in.My bad.I stand corrected.:ermm:

I guess checking for tapered holes and fitment size would suffice to which would work better.

I could've done without the shut-up comment though.;)

My bad, it's been a long weekend.:o

AtvMxRider
11-01-2005, 01:18 PM

You need to put the dictionary down, When using aftermarket rims such as Douglas you use the FLAT part of the nut against the wheel. They will not move around or add strees to the studs

Honda#4
11-01-2005, 04:03 PM
what if i put flat washers on their with the flat side of the lug nuts would that work instead of buying flange nuts.

AtvMxRider
11-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
what if i put flat washers on their with the flat side of the lug nuts would that work instead of buying flange nuts.

Just use your stock lug nuts.

Honda#4
11-01-2005, 04:38 PM
ok