PDA

View Full Version : to powder coat rims or to clear coat?? please helpp!!

WhiteYFZ
10-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Hi,
I just got some itp baja rims. I really like them.Wehn i first got them they looked liked chrome.Buyt after the first ride, hey dulled out..badly..I have tried everything,,,polishing the and using this thing that runs on air and it spins..and that made them worse.. the like have black spots on them now..should i get them powdercoated or polished and then clear coated?? p.s. the front ones are fine..their still shiny..but y problem is the rear oness....thanks alot..i hope some one can help me..thanks

TheFontMaster
10-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Seems to me like someone needs to learn how to polish. Get a thing of mother's mag and aluminum polish, and 2 cotton rags or old t shirts. Use one rag to put the mother's polish on the rim and rub it in good untill all the polish turns a grey color, then wipe as much of it off as you can. There will still be some residue on the rim from the polish, this is when you take the other rag or shirt and buff off the rest of the polish. This should leave you with a mirror like shine on the rim.

Mxjunkie
10-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Polish them by hand..... :ermm:

2004exrider
10-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Agree 100% with these guys^^^. Mothers is the best stuff to use. Its hard to believe what it can do, ive tried a lot of them and this is by far the best!

Jimmy

WhiteYFZ
10-30-2005, 06:15 PM
its a pain in the as* cuz on the holes in the rim..but ok..i rele dont want ot have to do this after everytime i ride..will a clearcoat help??

this is how they looked be4 i rode with them

lol.. i wish they could be like this

TheFontMaster
10-30-2005, 07:01 PM
You shouldn't have to do it every ride, mabey something is up with the factory finish. Polish them up like I said and see how it lasts. I wouldn't fo with a clear coat, I've hear of powdercoat having problems sticking to polished surfaces because it's so smooth, and I know automotive clear coat won't stick to something that smooth. Plus you will have to worry about chips and scratches in the clear, and if it was just the bare aluminum you can sand and polish out most imperfections you can get on the rims.

WhiteYFZ
10-30-2005, 08:03 PM
i did but it still doesent loog so great..its painn in my ***.my frined tole me to get never dell and it will help

hnnblehscnnble
10-30-2005, 08:09 PM
or how about not worrying how your rims look and ride.but if so polishs hould hold up for some time if you do it right.i have an aluminum frame and the spars are polished and stay looking fine and it shouldnt be that hard i think i did both spars from plastics to footpegs in about 20 min and thats with cleanup and everythign.later

kyle