PDA

View Full Version : Carrier issues

fasterz
10-30-2005, 12:19 PM
Alright guys im having trouble keeping a carrier in working order i need some ideas for making one last. My stock carrier shattered a few weeks into owning the quad so i went to hellbound and ordered up a billit dual row carrier. I was at englishtown on sunday nd the left side bearing exploded. Theres not much time on the carrier and it was packed with grease. What could be causing this. I contacted hellbound and he said it wasnt covered by warentee becuase the bearing failed. The whole carrier got trashed though so now i have to buy another one. He told me "the same thing happends to everyone alot, the only way to avoid it is to take out the axle after every 2 weeks and coat it with new grease." I was like O but really they are sealed bearings so it shoudlnt make that much of a difference if its more than 2 week old grease on the axle the grease isnt even touching the bearings. Also I know people dont blow bearings out this much like he said. Its frustating to buy an aftermarket part since you know it will last at least a season of racing and then it only lasts a few months and not much riding since im away at college.

10-30-2005, 02:58 PM
my bearing go once a year with alot of riding in mud and water...you should get a woodward specialties carrier, they are cheap and I have head good reviews

chad502ex
10-30-2005, 03:03 PM
yea, I always go with RAD tapered bearing carrier after stock carrier goes. Just installed the new RAD and love it's fit and finish.

Pappy
10-30-2005, 03:33 PM
sounds like the chain is being run too tight.

10-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
sounds like the chain is being run too tight. i cant believe I didnt think of that. good point pappy

fasterz
10-30-2005, 04:43 PM
i always check the chain tension and i never have it too tight. The day this one broke i had a new chain on so if any thing it was too loose from streching.

Pappy
10-30-2005, 06:45 PM
could also be the axle lock nut is overtightened.

fasterz
10-30-2005, 07:56 PM
could also be the axle lock nut is overtightened.
i know for a fact it wasnt becuase it was a little loose when i was trying to figure out wtf happened

Pappy
10-30-2005, 07:59 PM
well, if your swing arm bushings are in good shape, then the two reason i suggested would be my leading culprits. ive seen old carriers come apart from lack of maintence, but not just for the sake of coming apart.

when your chain is too tight, it causes the left side bearing to be over stressed and increased heat can weaken the housing. the same thing is caused by the lock nut being over tightened which will loosen if the carrier grenades.

Ex_Rider43
10-30-2005, 09:39 PM
well I had luck with RAD's dual row carriers for a year and now they seem to fall apart... they covered it 50% , 2 weeks later on the new one the bearings were shot. the lesson from this is to stay away from them and to go with tapered. they are a lot less PITA , sure the nut has to be tighten very light and chain must be set not too tight , not too loose and its more expensive but having bearing that can stands up to 2 or more years will pay off in the end.

I just learned it myself and yeah , it sux.

fasterz
10-30-2005, 09:41 PM
well, if your swing arm bushings are in good shape, then the two reason i suggested would be my leading culprits. ive seen old carriers come apart from lack of maintence, but not just for the sake of coming apart.

when your chain is too tight, it causes the left side bearing to be over stressed and increased heat can weaken the housing. the same thing is caused by the lock nut being over tightened which will loosen if the carrier grenades.

yea i know about those 2 things already, and im a racer and know how everything should be and its always right thats why i dont understand why they cant hold up. After all im in school for mechanical engineering so i can design and build things like this ha. But thanks for the help pappy, do you think casing a jump could break the bearings? if i land pretty crooked it would put additional stress on the carrier but still people land crooked all the time and their carriers dont break. I just dont get it why im so lucky, i cant hold the carriers nor the frame together on the r. I think i have the frame all sorted out now though.

Pappy
10-31-2005, 05:07 AM
anything that applys stress can lead to parts failure. as a whole, most of the quad guys are riding so much better then they did even 5 years ago, i geuss it could be a major reason in alot of part failures. they simply arent designed for the abuse:p

speedfreaksguy
10-31-2005, 07:58 AM
Did you grease the carrier when you installed it new?? You said the locknut was loose when you took it apart. That can cause rapid bearing failure as well. I have a Lonestar on my R and haven't had to put bearings in it yet. Its almost 2 seasons old.