PDA

View Full Version : do it yourself powdercoat??

hondardr4life
10-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Ok, I was in sears the other day and I saw this powdercoater on sale for $139. It looks kinda like a drill, and it says you can powdercoat anything, and then just stick it in a non- food oven to harden it. My question is do you think it will work? Th ebiggest thing you could do would be like a swinger, but thats still better than spraypaint. Let me know your opinions, I might have to look into this.

wanta450
10-30-2005, 02:19 PM
yes it should work because the site i bought my stuff from is even selling it and we just use an oven

Honda#4
10-30-2005, 04:19 PM
if u want to buy a kit eastwood sells powdercoat kit for $100 plus u get four bottles of powder.

sampleez
10-30-2005, 06:55 PM
there are several kits on ebay for about $100 with a gun/ some powder, and a few other things.

and you really need to do some research about this. there's a lot of prep work, and if you don't do it right, it'll turn out like crap. search on google, there are a few guides and stuff that are pretty helpful.

and make sure to do a few pieces of scrap b4 you do anything important.

once you get the hang of it and get your little routine down, it's pretty easy, and you can get some good results.

here's some aarms i did

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/7783/aarms66au.jpg

hondardr4life
10-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Yea, I forgot about the prep work. I bet it would involve sand blasting. Your a arms look great though, good job on them.

sampleez
10-30-2005, 07:23 PM
you don't have to sandblast. i don't. but it would make it easier. i just use paint stripper and do a little sanding. and then use acetone to clean it, then wash it with soap and water, then dry and put it oven for about 5 mins to warm up, shoot powder on it, then cure in oven

yzcrashbandit
10-31-2005, 02:16 PM
if you are doing it yourself just be sure that parts are clean before you powdercoat. all of the paint has to be stripped off. Also you will need to cover up any threads such as studs or bolt holes. It is usually a lot better to hang the parts in the oven.

***edited***

Thanks
Jim