PDA

View Full Version : 300ex problems

James Cornell
10-30-2005, 07:40 AM
someone please help, i have a 97 300ex that has me boggled, it's making a consistant ticking noise through the RPM range, i bought it a yr ago with this problem and have probably put 25 hrs on it with this problem, i have just put brand new cam,rockers,shafts,tappets,and dowels in it, it's a lil quiter but not much, so i tore it all back down ie; rocker box,head,jug, and clutch side cover, i cant find anything that is loose or broken, the cam chain has no bad links that i can see of, the tensioner seems to make the clack noise when you release it for the cam chain, i went to a local shop and the mech told me that the clutch basket on 400ex's will make that noise but he's never seen it on a 300ex. i dont understand it, it has great throttle,great power and it doesnt smoke, somebody please help before this thing goes to the scrapyard:devil:
Thanks for anybodys time and replys

Blue250X
10-30-2005, 09:44 AM
i hear that new cams make a ticking noise

James Cornell
10-30-2005, 09:47 AM
even a stock cam? i replaced it with an oem cam from service honda

ZeroLogic
10-30-2005, 10:25 AM
my brother just put in a new stock cam and it dosnt tick at all

did you set the rockers right?

hondardr4life
10-30-2005, 10:29 AM
My 300ex ticked like a mother when I bought it bone stock off a kid a year and a half ago. Now I have done all this major motorwork, and all different kinds of stuff to it, and guess what.......... it still ticks like a mother. I just ignore it, it runs good and fast.

James Cornell
10-30-2005, 10:36 AM
valve clearance is .005 intake .006 exhaust, we did the wood to the ear/motor test and it sounds like its coming from the bottom end, i just dont see how though, i did take the side cover off and i can move the clutch basket almost 1/2 an inch on the sprocket, the guy at the local shop said that will give the sound of a bad rod bearing, i've never heard of that, and i really dont wanna spend 180.00 on a clutch basket for that not to fix it, i'm thinking i'll just put the yosh pipe on it and ignore the noise :blah:

James Cornell
10-30-2005, 10:46 AM
valve clearance is .005 intake .006 exhaust, we did the wood to the ear/motor test and it sounds like its coming from the bottom end, i just dont see how though, i did take the side cover off and i can move the clutch basket almost 1/2 an inch on the sprocket, the guy at the local shop said that will give the sound of a bad rod bearing, i've never heard of that, and i really dont wanna spend 180.00 on a clutch basket for that not to fix it, i'm thinking i'll just put the yosh pipe on it and ignore the noise :blah:

POW 352
10-30-2005, 02:07 PM
ok maybe a dumb response but i had a loose engine screw where it mounts to the frame and was making a mad ratteling sound so maybe you have a crack in the frame mounts or something that is vibrating and making thos noise

rooster300ex
10-30-2005, 03:54 PM
i have a mild webcam and it ticks alil, when i was getting my engine built the mechanic told me the balancer on my 300ex had some kind of burr that was making noise when it put it all back together. i think the burr was on the crankshaft gear so he said i could just leave it out. i didn't have anymore money.

Rambo6420
10-30-2005, 06:25 PM
I had the same problem on my 400, it is probably the wristpin bearing that has gone bad. The is where the piston connects to the crank rod.

bwamos
10-31-2005, 08:45 AM
If you still have the stock timing chain.. you may be getting blow back through the valves. Odds are after 8 years the chain has stretched beyond tolerance. Put a Heavy Duty timing chain on there. It's stronger and won't stretch out nearly as fast. I beleive DID makes one.

I can't quite remember, but for some reason I think the early model 400ex timing chains will work on the 300ex. But someone else would have to answer that, as I may be getting mixed up. They should be a lot cheaper.. everything on the 300ex is expensive as hell from the factory.

2muchquad
10-31-2005, 11:23 AM
i had the same problem,it was the timing chain,even if the tensioner isnt maxed out in throw and putting tension on the chain,too much slop and it will tick.i would advise against running a sloppy chain.i did a bottom end rebuild for a guy this summer that ran a sloppy chain and it ended up breaking 3 teeth off the crank gear! a oem 300ex crank assembly will set you back about $250,and thats a deal.dont be cheap,get a $45 chain for a piece of mine:)

James Cornell
10-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks for all the replys, i'm gonna put in a new clutch basket and timing chain, would you guys advise against fst 330 kit on a stock motor? or what bore can i use for a lil more power out of the 300? once again thanks to all who responded and i hope you have a hap happ happy holla ween:devil:
James

bwamos
11-02-2005, 12:33 PM
FST 330 won't be too impressive without all the necessary head work. (port/polish/valve/cam, etc..)

Go for a 297cc 11:1 comp piston and the new Stage2 hotcam if you want a new piston. Will rev faster and head work is more optional. I'd look into bumping up the rev limiter another 1000 rpms as well. ;) (Perk: you can still race int he sport class if you choose to do so).

If you've got rocker arm wear.. get a WEB cam, and hardened rockers. You'd have to replace the rockers anyway.. and it will be a cheaper route.

300ex97
11-03-2005, 07:06 PM
i have the same year bike and mine still runs fine i honestly couldnt tell ya but i have a question does your biek have a stock carrier or aftermarket i cant decide on one