PDA

View Full Version : exhaust packing

Quad Dude
10-29-2005, 07:41 PM
ok i have and old style dmc dual pipe it looks like the alien but the can is different shape. anyway i had a homemaede pipe just a stock one completly emptyed out and then shortened up a bit (call it the the shorty) and when i got this dmc pipe it was extremly restrictive. so i took off the diffuser plates on the back and that help but is didnt rev as fast as with the shorty. so then i went ahead and took out all the packing (it was really black) and then it was ok but still didnt have low end like the shorty. so do you think it would be a decent pipe if i just repalced the packing with some new stuff that way it have back pressure but still flow decent?

then i was told that taking the packing out shouldnt have made it better thats y i think it would be better with new packing. its like with the packing it was too restrictive and without it its has no back pressure and just flows out like it has no silience at all.

hotrodbelair
10-30-2005, 10:26 AM
new packing should help when i did my packing there was nothing left and it was loud as hell so i put new packing in it now she has little bit more lowend didnt notice anything up high. mine was a fmf powercore 4 with powerbomb header. i havent had a dmc before so i dont know anything about them. when u took your packing out was there alot missing? when i took mine out there was just a little bit left.

bwamos
10-31-2005, 09:12 AM
Honestly, it just sounds like you're main jet is running too rich.

Really black packing, and not reving out, are definatly symptoms of being too rich.

Quad Dude
10-31-2005, 08:17 PM
i bought the pipe used and only ran it for a minute before taking the packing out i hope it didnt get black that fast. i think ill just repack and see what happens