PDA

View Full Version : new valves!!!

chris450R
10-29-2005, 07:04 PM
well guys i was just informed by my shop that i will be needing new valves very soon. i had to get the valves adjusted and my hot start fixed.

so my question is how much is it to get new valves?

i have no idea!

also i was wondering how much better the titanium valves are and if they last any longer or any less? or have any performance increases over the steel valves for a stock motor?

also does anyone know if that would fall under warranty work by chance?:confused: that would be great if it did!

well thanks in advance for any help, chris

10-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by chris450R
well guys i was just informed by my shop that i will be needing new valves very soon. i had to get the valves adjusted and my hot start fixed.

so my question is how much is it to get new valves?

i have no idea!

also i was wondering how much better the titanium valves are and if they last any longer or any less? or have any performance increases over the steel valves for a stock motor?

also does anyone know if that would fall under warranty work by chance?:confused: that would be great if it did!

well thanks in advance for any help, chris i know for a fact that valves are not warranty work because they are regular maintenance. it should be a hours worth of work.

ATC350X 85
10-29-2005, 10:20 PM
It will be more than an hours worth of work. Depending on if the seats are damaged the head may need to be machined. If they are not damaged the new valves need to be lapped into the seats. Everything needs to be reassembled and the valves need to be adjusted.

I would stick with steel valves, I believe the Crf's are titanium and they had a problem with the coating chipping off and the valves burned. Stick with steel.

Did they specify why you need new valves?

chris450R
10-30-2005, 12:08 AM
well he said that he put the maximum number of shims in that i could have and they were getting worn. i didn't talk to him personally, my step-dad talked to him and then told me. so i am just going by what the mechanic told him, and he is a honda certified mechanic, so i trust his judgement on that and the fact that we know him pretty good also.

chris450R
10-30-2005, 09:09 AM
bump

450 Racer R
10-30-2005, 09:42 AM
You trust Honda certified mechanics? My bro's 04 450r had to go the dealer because the motor blew and wouldn't start. The guy asked for the key and he told him it was in it already. The service guy pulled the key out of the ignition and said, "you left the key on, no wonder why it won't start. The battery's dead."

chris450R
10-30-2005, 06:23 PM
ROFLMFAO!!! that is halarious! yeah i trust him. he was the **** back when the 250R's were the quad to have. he raced one and built everyone elses. he also does all the motor work for wesley heatherly, who runs all the national races on a 450R, i believe he runs in either open A or production A, i can;t remember exactly. anyway, he hasn;t had any problems with his 450 and neither have i since michael, the "Honda Certified" mechanic, has been working on my bike.

anyway, back to the main question that hasn't been answered, how much is it for new valves? stock steel valves.

thanks, chris

450 Racer R
10-30-2005, 07:16 PM
look em up on www.servicehonda.com If you decide to go titanium, just do the intake side. the exhaust side gets too hot

cals400ex
10-30-2005, 10:08 PM
titanium valves will reduce reliability and will cost much more. you will read many of the crf individuals changing their titanium ones out for steel valves. you will not get much if any performance difference either from the titanium. they may allow you to use springs that are not as stiff, which could free up power but they will not do much else. you will also probably have to adjust your valves more frequently too.

chris450R
10-31-2005, 09:13 AM
cool. thanks for the info. i suppose i will just stay with the stock steel valves then, i had just thought that maybe the titaniums may of had an advantage. i did not know for sure if they were any better than steel. thanks again.

chris