PDA

View Full Version : 660R vs. 400EX

ommkevin
10-29-2005, 08:05 AM
which would win in a drag race

what was with the 01 trannys on the Raptor

2001300exguy
10-29-2005, 09:16 AM
the raptor would win no contest but between the two i would take the 400 for just about every otehr riding condition

yamablaster24
10-29-2005, 10:47 AM
the 01 trannies were in some cases weak and prone to premature wearing. I would not reccomend buying a 2001 raptor unless the transmission has been replaced.

yamablaster24
10-29-2005, 10:49 AM
and the raptor would smoke the 400ex with 2 slightly similar riders. Even a piped 400ex with filter and jetted perfect wouldnt run with it

wsucougfan
10-29-2005, 06:15 PM
it just so happens that my buddy has a 660r and we have raced each other a lot. I raced him one night on the road in front of my house....his bike is bone stock, I have pipe, filter, and jet, I had a bike length lead out of the whole, but he had be by about a bike length the whole race until the end when he started to pull away a little more....We raced about a month ago down on the beach and we raced from a rolling start (I was in 3rd 3/4 throttle) and we stayed dead even.

-On a personal note I wouldnt own a 660 for anything...they feel way to top heavy, and for the size of the motor, it should be a lot faster than it is...now a new 700 on the other hand...those are freakin sweet!

ZQ8Dude
10-30-2005, 04:18 PM
ive ridden both and heres my opinion on it.

the EX will loose in a drag race, but you can keep riding the EX for very extended periods.

the 660 is fun, but its not stable. im currently looking into a way of fixing this for my dad

i rode that 660 hard for 5 hours. in that time, it ran out of gas on me and wore me out because i had to put effort into sliding it and hill climbs sucked.

suppose it'd be a nice bike if you put an extended swing arm on it and added wide A-arms and an axel.

prepracing
10-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by ommkevin
which would win in a drag race

what was with the 01 trannys on the Raptor

which taste better apples or oranges

whats up with sour apples ? :blah: J/K

PistolPete
10-31-2005, 11:43 PM
First of all I feel sorry for anyone who wants to ride a Yamaha.
Second of all, there is always someone out there who is going to be faster. If you want raptor for its speed, you might as well get a Banshee.

11-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by yamablaster24
and the raptor would smoke the 400ex with 2 slightly similar riders. Even a piped 400ex with filter and jetted perfect wouldnt run with it

rilly. my 400ex is piped jetted n has no air box, k&n filter n it beats r rapter in a drag and every were else.

wsucougfan
11-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by blue450yo
rilly. my 400ex is piped jetted n has no air box, k&n filter n it beats r rapter in a drag and every were else.

:huh Must be something wrong with that raptor, or the person who is riding it....no way a 400 with just those mods will beat a raptor in a drag race, without the raptor having a crappy rider or something wrong with it, im basing this off of personal experience.

2004400exa
11-02-2005, 09:20 AM
i have raced on in my field and my 400 is bone stock and so was the raptor and i beat it from the start till about when i hit 5th gear then he smoked mme in the long run

aviator4
11-02-2005, 09:40 AM
In a drag race, yes the raptor would win... in an extended race, the 400 would win. Why? Because the raptor will spend so much time in the pits getting worked on.

I've actually traded - STRAIGH ACCROSS - a used raptor for a used 400EX.

the first 4 rides on the raptor we had to :

1. fix a torn intake boot
2. rejet...and rejet..and rejet... and rejet
3. fix a trashed front shock
4. fix several electrical problems.

first 4 rides on the 400:

1. change the oil

Yamaha and keep their Craptor.

cjkranz
11-02-2005, 09:41 AM
I have had both, currently have the Raptor and NOT the 400 EX, for good reason. We ride ONLY in the sand, so this is my perspective. A 400 EX will not beat a Raptor in a drag race (similar riders, paddles, etc), it also won't beat a raptor in the climbing of hills. As for it being a little top heavy, I don't notice it at all. Maybe it has something to do with riding experience. I love the set up of the raptor. You can throw it around, slide corners easily, wheely whenever you want/need to, it jumps good (no like some others, but does good). For the sand, its right at the top with several others for great quads. As for being beat by a banshee, unless it has had motor work done, its not a problem to smoke them. Thats one reason I also sold my Banshee last year. Too much work/$, not enough go.

ZQ8Dude
11-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by cjkranz
I have had both, currently have the Raptor and NOT the 400 EX, for good reason. We ride ONLY in the sand, so this is my perspective. A 400 EX will not beat a Raptor in a drag race (similar riders, paddles, etc), it also won't beat a raptor in the climbing of hills. As for it being a little top heavy, I don't notice it at all. Maybe it has something to do with riding experience. I love the set up of the raptor. You can throw it around, slide corners easily, wheely whenever you want/need to, it jumps good (no like some others, but does good). For the sand, its right at the top with several others for great quads. As for being beat by a banshee, unless it has had motor work done, its not a problem to smoke them. Thats one reason I also sold my Banshee last year. Too much work/$, not enough go.

try doing donuts on a stock raptor...its top heaviness shows instantly. ive ridden both and i can say for sure the raptor is top heavy. you get use to it, but its no where near as stable or as fast as the 400ex through woods, or an mx track for that matter

cjkranz
11-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Like I stated above, this refers only to the dunes. I would agree that the 400 EX would be better for MX racing. I can do donuts on the bike, you just have to "ride" the bike more. It is more top heavy feeling then a 400 ex, but its not unrideable.

troutman561
11-02-2005, 01:22 PM
raptor would win hands down in a drag race... i dunno about these ppl saying their 400ex beat one unless, like was said, the riders is bad like has no arms or something and the raptor doesnt have an engine in it.. then the 400 would win... my friend has an 04 660 and he kills all of us on 400's, it sux, but i guess thats what ui get when u pay more... oh yea i know its not the rider because when switching bikes its the same outcome

ZQ8Dude
11-02-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by cjkranz
Like I stated above, this refers only to the dunes. I would agree that the 400 EX would be better for MX racing. I can do donuts on the bike, you just have to "ride" the bike more. It is more top heavy feeling then a 400 ex, but its not unrideable.

well of course its not unrideable, but when you are playing with the bike, it makes a huge difference.

416exfreak
11-02-2005, 06:55 PM
:rolleyes: in most cases such as a stock or mildly modified 400 the rapter would win but, and im not bragging, some of us have the machine and riding skill to run a rapter back into the ground,it just depends on rider and machine is what im sayin

also my clutch is going out and i need a new one, can any one recomend 1

2001 400ex
.60 overbore
white brothers e-series full system
k&n filter
port and polish job
stage1 and, soon to be stage 2 hot cam
cut front fenders
c-series wheels & shredders all the way around
ceet seat cover
pro armor front bumper
renthal sprokets

RiderTRX400ex
11-02-2005, 07:22 PM
barnett, ebc, try to stay away from the cheap 35 dollar clutch kits. you can also order new plates/fibers stock!

Unverfehrt400ex
11-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Everyones on here talkin about how the raptor is top heavy and dont handle as good and breaks down a lot. All maby be true. I love my 400ex and would never give it up for a raptor but the question was which would win in a drag race. and in a steight line drag the raptors gona win 9 times out of10

2_stroke_me03
11-03-2005, 12:09 PM
400's are nice bikes my buddy has an 05 but whoever says that they can beat raptor is full of s***.i dont care if your bike is piped and other stuff.still the motor size difference is to much to compare.

416exfreak
11-03-2005, 12:18 PM
yeah, see the thing is ive raced banshee's and beat them, and for ur info real motors have valves and cams

04TRX400EX
11-04-2005, 05:21 PM
I've never personally rode a 660 Raptor but have heard all of the same things from friends that have them or have riden them. The 660's have a lot of power and will kick the cr*p out of a 400EX in a drag race, assuming the Raptor's rider is competent enough to know how to shift. The 660 Raptor's were not very good handling quads though. They were too tall and too narrow, and would do a wheelie in almost any gear. They also had a dual carb setup so they were a pain in the you know what to jet. All of those reasons explain why the new 700 Raptor is totally new. It has the YFZ450 front suspension (except the shocks), it's like 4 inches wider so it handles really well, and its fuel injected so you can run anywhere with any setup and be good to go. It's almost tempting me to buy one next year. Not selling the Honda though.

shorgasm
11-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
yeah, see the thing is ive raced banshee's and beat them, and for ur info real motors have valves and cams

LOL........right.:o

rummerd
11-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Well now I just don't know about the new Raptor 700, I am betting its pretty quick. But to the guy who sez that no matter what you do to a 400EX, it won't beat a stock Raptor, I just have to say you are plain ignorant. Look at it this way, stock Raptor makes how much HP? Good running 426 with carb makes how much HP? How about a 440. How about a full on stroker? Nothing in life is absolute.

aviator4
11-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Well now I just don't know about the new Raptor 700, I am betting its pretty quick. But to the guy who sez that no matter what you do to a 400EX, it won't beat a stock Raptor, I just have to say you are plain ignorant. Look at it this way, stock Raptor makes how much HP? Good running 426 with carb makes how much HP? How about a 440. How about a full on stroker? Nothing in life is absolute.

Oh, I missed that...

To whoever posted that, wanna make a bet? How much money ya got? I got VIDEO to back up my claim of CONSISTENT wins over a raptor 700.

rummerd
11-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by 2_stroke_me03
400's are nice bikes my buddy has an 05 but whoever says that they can beat raptor is full of s***.i dont care if your bike is piped and other stuff.still the motor size difference is to much to compare.
For me, its like,"don't bogart the Raptor dude, puff puff give!" I smoke them!

TCracin440ex
11-05-2005, 02:48 AM
ok....well heres my take on raptors and 400ex....

raptors are fast....raptors will smoke 400ex's all day long...piped or stock

but i have seen this with my own 2 eyes....

my buddy has a 660r thats rejetted, k&n filter, whitebrothers r-4 exhaust, holeshot xcr tires, and thats it far as go fast goodies and it kills my 400ex thats piped, jetted, rev box, air filter, and holeshot mxr

now on the other hand...my buddy has a 440ex with a 12.5:1 compression ratio piston, the old stage 2 hotcams, rejetted carb, rev box, 18'' tires, full pro circuit t-4 exhaust and the 440 eats the raptors *** a live in a drag...440ex gets the raptor off the line and is GONE.

far as mx....ive raced my buddy on his raptor vs me and my 400ex on the mx track...and the raptor got his *** handed to him because i can come into a turn harder and not have to worrie bout tipping....while he has to slow down to take the turns

ITS ALL IN WHAT YOU WANT AND THE TYPE OF RIDDING YOU DO!

05exrder
11-05-2005, 06:43 PM
idk what happened here someone explain it i have a 400ex moose air filter and thats all for engine mods and i beat my friends 660r with yoshi pipe jet kit ,oversized piston, fast trekkers and i can walk all over it any day in a field never raced on pavement

11-05-2005, 10:19 PM
ok i posted here b4 but my 400ex beats r rapy 660 in a drag. n if the rapy beats me its less than a quad length. but in every uther type of racing the rapy doesnt stand a chance flat track its compitive but still tiper than a 400ex cuz they handel exlant

Don_Carnage
11-09-2005, 04:08 AM
with a yfz in front of me two banshees, a raptor, and z400 behind me on the video of a drag on the beach i would say the EX. they all had paddles too & the only thing i couldn't beat was that damn modded 450. he said with no mods i might take it, but he's not toning it down to find out. damn yamy.

DiRTdiGGr660
11-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
ok....well heres my take on raptors and 400ex....

raptors are fast....raptors will smoke 400ex's all day long...piped or stock

but i have seen this with my own 2 eyes....

my buddy has a 660r thats rejetted, k&n filter, whitebrothers r-4 exhaust, holeshot xcr tires, and thats it far as go fast goodies and it kills my 400ex thats piped, jetted, rev box, air filter, and holeshot mxr

now on the other hand...my buddy has a 440ex with a 12.5:1 compression ratio piston, the old stage 2 hotcams, rejetted carb, rev box, 18'' tires, full pro circuit t-4 exhaust and the 440 eats the raptors *** a live in a drag...440ex gets the raptor off the line and is GONE.

far as mx....ive raced my buddy on his raptor vs me and my 400ex on the mx track...and the raptor got his *** handed to him because i can come into a turn harder and not have to worrie bout tipping....while he has to slow down to take the turns

ITS ALL IN WHAT YOU WANT AND THE TYPE OF RIDDING YOU DO!

CORRECTION...this would be my raptor hes talkin about..and the 440 does not (hand me my ***) if i can keep the front end down off the line i can pull on him the whole way...never once has the 440 *handed me my ****

kfxriderirv
11-26-2005, 10:58 AM
ok i dunno wats up but i beat the two rapter 660r both had pipes abd this was in sand none of them had tires though and i had stock mine was piped with a rossier full and a k&n and a dyno jet and i was atleast a quad lenght in front of them not pulling away though this was in a 1/8 mile

motoman287
11-27-2005, 10:23 AM
My buddy has an 04 Craptor w/ a full Alba system and a filter, and my 400EX has a K&N and a white bros. exhaust, and repeatedly in drags, I can pull him up until I hit about 4th, then he just plain smokes my ***. I am running smaller tires, w/out a gearing change, which is probably why I can pull strong down low and then lose my *** on top end. However, I have ridden/raced 400EX's (not my own) and ridden his Craptor on a track, and I pulled off after one lap on that thing because it feels ridiculous to me due to the short wheelbase and tall stance. It does feel tippy and I personally cannot go fast like that.

400EX is the wheelie king!