PDA

View Full Version : Jeep lift kits.....

blasterkiller14
10-29-2005, 07:46 AM
I own a 91 Jeep Comanche and I want to lift it. I plan on putting either 31's or 33's on it with the black powder coat wheels ($750). I only have about $900 all together so tires and wheels would pretty much use my whole budget. I found a lift kit on EBAY that is a 3" kit for $100. It only includes 3" front springs and add-a-leafs for the rear. I was wondering if its un-safe to try and lift my truck with that kit, and then adding 2" coil spacers in the front and new 1.5" longer shackles in the rear for a total lift of about 5".
I just want to know if this is safe or even possible becuase the truck will still have the stock lower control arms. Expensive kits include new lower control arms to correct the geometry (plus they include four new longer shocks which I already have and dont need). Or if you guys could help me find a cheap lift kit (maybe a 4.5" kit). I just dont have alot of time, or money, to look up stuff because im working all the damn time. Any comments are appreciated.

RaptorRacer45
10-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Help this kid out, i might be in the market for a Lift someday also for mine:D

O by the Way Blasterkiller.....Keep that Comanche Alive, were a very rare breed of Jeepers....Its a Great Truck :macho

TheX1992
10-29-2005, 10:09 AM
You get what you pay for. If you plan on lifting a vehicle, you'll want to spend the big money and do it right. The expensive kits give you every little part you need (extended brake lines, longer shocks, swaybar mount, etc....). I have done one of the cheap lifts before, and it was taken off right away.

Stay away from the coil spacers. Those really aren't that good, it just stiffens up your suspension for a very harsh ride. I rate that the same as drilling out hockeypucks and making a cheap body lift.

New control arms are included for a reason. If you don't, your wheels will be looking like this ............. /----\ and you will be going through tires like crazy. Just like I said in the first paragraph, do it right.

I've done the shackle lift on my Jeep, but that's also the cheap lift that I took right off. It gave me 1.75" of lift, but my driveshaft angle, brakelines, shocks, swaybar, and everything else needed some attention.

Hopefully this helped a little bit. Let me know if you have any more questions.

i30nes
10-29-2005, 06:31 PM
One place to ask around if you havent is jeepforum.com. They have been nothing more than helpful with the problems I had with my cherokee. Or check out www.rustysoffroad.com they have some stuff there to. But definitely hit up the forum :)

prepracing
10-29-2005, 08:59 PM
if you put spacers on top of a 3" lift, your gonna have caster/camber problems, steering linkage problems, and pretty much everything else on the frontend that moves, also pinion/driveshaft angle so you would probably have to find a transfer case drop kit somewhere to correct the front. The rear probably wouldn't be that bad except your pinion angle will be off, which instead of shackles you could put lift blocks that have an angle on them to help correct the problem. Or to do it right cut the spring perches loose and turn your axle up and untill you get the right pinion angle ( get an angle/dgree finder ) and weld some new perches on at the correct angle.
To bad those suckers are unibody or a body lift would hook you right up !
There are tooo many variables when you try to start rigging stuff up, so just save your money or try to find a used 5" or 6" susp lift. Good luck

mx426ex
10-29-2005, 10:30 PM
81 j20 :devil:

T.Hopp
10-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Check out "NAXJA" North American XJ Association. They also cover Comanchees on this site. Anything you need to know. The best site you will find. I get all of my XJ info there.