PDA

View Full Version : fan on the air box

flaneledholes
06-19-2002, 12:20 PM
Hey I was wondering bout something. I was wanting to do a custom mod to my quad and I was wondering if I could use the tail light wires to hook up a fan on the back of my airbox. It would make a vacume and would put alot of air in there. I would use some outwares and just hook it all up. Oh do they make fans that can take water being flung on it? If not its still all good. Cool mod huh?

Matt

knighttime
06-19-2002, 12:39 PM
this b4 it gets really ugly

:huh

JabberJaw
06-19-2002, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I can't wait till you drive it in water :-)

06-19-2002, 12:54 PM
Hey it just so happens one of the members on here has something like that setup already. His name is VWVR6,,send him a PM to get more details..:D :devil He mentioned a 2 HP gain with the mod..:eek:

dariusld
06-19-2002, 03:11 PM
Your motor sucks more air into than any electric fan could put out. It wouldn't do anything. Basically your talking a turbo, you know how fast they spin.

nakomis0
06-19-2002, 03:46 PM
If you wanna go a route like your talking about.

You might wanna try and fabricate some sort of scoops that run from your air box to the front/ or side of your quad to funnel the air into your airbox. The faster you go the more air is pushed into your quad.

Ram air.

dariusld
06-19-2002, 04:24 PM
Could you imagine all the dirt and sand you would be getting from ram air.

Nausty
06-19-2002, 04:45 PM
anyone ever think of getting a smaller fuel tank and putting it under the seat and then making the tank the air box? I bet that would do a lot and I know some superbike guys do this.

MOFO
06-20-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Hey it just so happens one of the members on here has something like that setup already. His name is VWVR6,,send him a PM to get more details..:D :devil He mentioned a 2 HP gain with the mod..:eek:

This is an awsome mod.... as mentioned in this forum....make sure you rejet....I'm using a 400 mainjet right now..... :eek: :D ;) :huh

06-20-2002, 02:25 PM
You guys are D!cks for tearing this guy up so bad. He was just using his imagination. The least you could do is give him a respectable answer instead of totally trashing his idea. Just my
2 cents.

optikid123
06-20-2002, 03:55 PM
why is it a dumb mod if you get power from it

phatswinn
06-20-2002, 06:07 PM
i was thinking the ssame thing he was, expt leaving the stock intake alone and making annother one with a fan, or do the same thing that guy dirt wheels did (blue hill racer raptor like pikes peak)

flaneledholes
06-20-2002, 07:48 PM
Hey thanks alot for the flammin. But anyways it could work. Arent you jealous I have an imagination? To bad that I was wondering bout something. Hey there is no such thing as a dumb question.

quadfamily
06-20-2002, 09:45 PM
VWVR6,
Do you have any pictures of your setup or some specs on the fan, etc.......... How do you know you got a 2HP increase? Did you verify the HP increase on a dyno?

Flaneledholes,
Don't listen to those guys. It's a good idea, I've thought about the same thing myself.

MOFO
06-21-2002, 06:07 AM
ok guys... this got a bit out of hand. If you put a fan in your intake, its only going to clog it up. You guys are attemting to make a cheap turbo. Its not going to work....if you want a turbo, there is a kit out there for several $$$$....and it shows results. Using an electric fan WILL NOT provide enough air to do anything. Your much better off just pulling your airbox lid off and letting the engine suck in the amount of air that is needed.
Bottom line....putting an electric fan anywhere will not show results. Heck, I think you'd get better results if you mounted a fan on your oil cooler, making your quad run cooler, thus making about a 1/24-1/16 more HP. :D

There have been several threads about this in the past that prove this idea to be a waste of time....thats why the sarcasm is strong here.

Eric

knighttime
06-21-2002, 07:08 AM
If I suspend ice in front of the fan will the cold air make me gain horsepower, lmfao. :blah

flipflop44
06-21-2002, 07:38 AM
Hey I know!!
How about duct taping a hair dryer on the intake and then use a realllllllly long extension cord to give it power while you ride!

phatswinn
06-21-2002, 07:53 AM
umm yea flipflop... you do that and then tell us how it works jk,the turbos in dirtwheels showed a 100% improvement, forget the motor mods for racing and spend the 4000 on that contraption ( i think it was 4000?)

Scott
06-21-2002, 07:57 AM
Just pack your airbox full of ice before you go ride. Instant cold air box. Free HP.:devil

nuttynewt
06-21-2002, 08:35 AM
Sorry y'all didn't take my red wagon posts with some humor. That's all it was meant to be. I wasn't trying to put anyone down. Creative imaginations have made this sport what it is today.

Anyway, here's another one for ya...

Rig up a small diameter tube and insert in into the intake via a very small hole. Take the other end of this tube and insert it into the end of a can of starting fluid. Anytime you need some extra boost, just push the button... kinda like poor man's nitrous!!! I'm guessing that you could do all this for less than five bucks.

knighttime
06-21-2002, 08:52 AM
have u been smoking? :huh

nuttynewt
06-21-2002, 12:13 PM
That poor man's nitrous is a good mod...
I use it on my boat. It is rather heavy and it helps me pull a better holeshot...

phatswinn
06-21-2002, 12:33 PM
hahaha that really yours? it sure would turn a few dozen heads eh?

nakomis0
06-21-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Scott
Just pack your airbox full of ice before you go ride. Instant cold air box. Free HP.:devil

Naw not ice..... DRY ice... lol. I actually heard this works.:huh

TheChknhwk
06-21-2002, 01:19 PM
I believe AC/DC said it best.....
"Ain't it a shame to be shot down in flames, ain't it a shame...."

Happy riding or fan blowing or whatever the F$%& you guys do around here:) ~ Hawk

EricB
06-21-2002, 01:25 PM
well in theory on a VERY low rpm engine and a very high rpm fan that could work. you just need to get something that is going to provide more air intake than a standard intake. the fan would effectivly reduce the ammount of air that is getting in your airbox at high speeds. probably the best non-turbo intake mod you could do would be a sort of a ram air intake, but you would need to find a very high flow prefilter. i've often thought about doing this but i don't really have any access to a fab shop of any sorts. but if someone who did...they could probably get something made up, patent it and make bank! as soon as i get some cash i'm going to get a 250r hood and work on a ram air system, i'll keep you guys informed.

Scott
06-21-2002, 01:39 PM
Dry ice would cool things down for a couple minutes. New problem, dry ice is liquid CO2. Not good for combustion.

Maybe this would be a good time to point out that this thread (although it started as a serious question) has been all joking answers. Sorry, guess we just have a bunch of smart *****e$ around here sometimes...

yellowrider
06-21-2002, 10:37 PM
i am gonna try that ice thing

anywyas hey man someone not to long ago we meet up woth dd not have any motor mods aand kicked all of are asses he had soemthing like you was tlaking about but i cant remember now its been to long ago!!

but do it !!! really i think you should !! try and if you get the jetting right you can even start your own company !! haha

but for real i would try it if you had any idea how to do it

i

MX MadMann
06-21-2002, 11:04 PM
how bout one of those gas powered leaf blowers?? you could rig the throttle linkage on ur 4 wheeler to the throttle linkage on the blower and it would force in more air when you hit the gas harder , like a progressive boost. im sure they would put out waaaay more air than anything plus it wouldnt bog your motor down like a supercharger and wouldnt restrict your exhaust like a turbo. all there would be is a little extra weight from the blower itslef and thats only maby what 10-20 lbs? ( im not a good estimating person). you could hang it off the grab bar and put a big friggen K&N filter over the intake on the blower. you could seal it off in your airbox or just rig it directly to the carb. you would need like an electronic fuel injection system or somthing like that. maby steal one off of a canondale and soup it up. this of course wouldnt be functional in everyday riding , but wouldnt it turn some heads at like glamis? a big friggen leaf blower on the back of a 570 stroker banshee???

just a thought - casey

veddersbetter
06-22-2002, 03:25 AM
did someone say "Tornado"? lmfao:D :devil :huh :blah
http://www.tornadoair.com/

Guy400
06-22-2002, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by veddersbetter
did someone say "Tornado"? lmfao:D :devil :huh :blah
http://www.tornadoair.com/ Ugh, I knew someone was going to post this:D

I got a nasty gram from them about 2 years ago when I wrote them an email inquiring about some of their theories of air flow. I didn't visit this site so it might have changed since then but they used to describe this device as spinning the air and effectively "supercharging" it. I told them in order to supercharge any motor than you've got to have a device that actually packs more air into the motor than what the motor can draw into itself. It's like taking a bucket and pouring the water out onto the ground then taking another bucket and pouring it onto the ground through a stationary blade and having the water speed up? Their other theory was to create a vortex of air that left the port walls and tightly spun all the way into the combustion chamber. Trouble with this is you NEVER want air to leave the port walls. I've worked on flow benches more times than I can count and you can 'watch' air leave the port wall. When air leaves the port wall the flow becomes disrupted and jacks up flow. Think of it as a waterslide. If you keep your butt on the slide you go through all the corners nice and smooth and fast. Now, pretend I could suspend you in mid air right inside the chute of a waterslide. So what happens when you're floating in the air but come up to a corner in the slide? Bam--you crash into the slide and then go around the corner. You just can't magically turn in the air. Remember, this is air, it doesn't have a steering wheel so we can't just turn it miraculously. The air has to be directed by port walls. Is Michael Schumacher faster when his car is planted on the ground through a corner or when it's bouncing like a 5-year old on a sugar rush? At any rate, they replied to me basically telling me that they've got scientific proof that it works and if I don't believe in their product to not purchase it. They then sent me 2 pages full of "satisfied customers" comments.

06-22-2002, 06:50 AM
I think another point they were saying about that tornado thing was that it atomizes the fuel better which would cause more efficient ignition. I don't know if it is true or not?

frogburner
06-22-2002, 08:15 AM
Have you ever heard of the Tornado for car motors??? If you have you know that it creates a whirlwind type wind inside the intake... If you had a way to generate that type of flow of air through to your carb, you may make a little increase in power. But overall I think scratch all the fake turbo ideas, they arent going to work.. I'm sure there is some cheap design out there to give more power to a 400, but dont waste your time.... If its not fast enough, go sell it and get a Raptor...

Punk13rym
06-22-2002, 09:18 AM
if you were to hit a bump or a jump wouldn't the air box fall off anyways with all of that added weight.

Juggalo
06-22-2002, 11:06 AM
[i]Rig up a small diameter tube and insert in into the intake via a very small hole. Take the other end of this tube and insert it into the end of a can of starting fluid. Anytime you need some extra boost, just push the button... kinda like poor man's nitrous!!! I'm guessing that you could do all this for less than five bucks. [/B]

this reminds me of a story my dad told me about a dumb guy. this guy thought he would be cool cuz he had this idea and the idea was to put ether into his windsheild washer fluid tank. then he hooked the hose for the windshield flud to his carb so that when you hit the button for washer fluid it would squirt it into the carb and in theory give you some sort of power boost. it didn't work tho bcause it couldn't vaporize the ether enough to get it to combust good.

86atc250r
06-22-2002, 12:13 PM
Nice post Guy...

3 technical problems I see with "fan boost".

1st - sealing. A typical fan is not an efficient compressor.

2nd - power - it takes a lot of electricity and a large motor to compress enough air to make a difference, even for a small engine. Certainly MUCH more power than the 400EX's electrical system can develop, plus you'd have a large electric motor hanging off the quad somewhere, heavy wiring, and other heavy duty electrical parts.

3rd - carburetor theory. If you pressurize behind the carb you will lean the mixture unless steps are taken to pressurize the fuel into the carb as well. Essentially what happens is the fuel that's being drawn out of the carburetor circuits by engine vacuum will then be effectively "pushed" back into the carb bowl by the positive pressure within the carb.

veddersbetter
06-22-2002, 12:50 PM
the tornado is a longstanding "joke" in f-body boards...camaros and mustangs alike. If your interested in the debate on whether these work or not...flip through www.mfba.org or www.camaroz28.com Sad thing is...they have an infomercial now with celebrities and the whole nine yards. So poor people are throwin thier money at it....and its not cheap. I could be totally wrong about it but Id have to see it to believe it.

I agree with LT250...perfect explanation

400EXPIMP
06-22-2002, 01:14 PM
Back to the Ram Air idea, the Bombardier Quest and Traxter have an intake system which kinda qualifies as ram air. The two scoops on the rear fender vent into the air box, its pretty cool, I'm not sure if it increases power though.

Guy400
06-22-2002, 01:23 PM
Even if we all put a big "ram air" system on our quads the simple fact is our quads don't go fast enough to actually begin to "ram" any air. I forget what the mph really is but a study was done and I remember the Trans Am's had to be well over 100mph before any ram air effect was to be had. Even then the power gains were minuscual. The term "Ram Air" is really a misnomer because you're not actually ramming air into these motors. What you're doing more than anything is getting cooler air. Most factory vehicles have an airbox that is somewhere in the engine compartment and with engine bays becoming smaller and smaller every year your airbox is getting closer and closer to the motor. All this does is heat the air your engine is injesting robbing you of horsepower. These "Ram Air" systems simply get cooler air that's outside of the engine bay, that's where the horsepower comes from.

Pro400EXC
06-22-2002, 03:56 PM
GUY, i loved your first post, it had great examples, where you come up with this stuff? its great.haha

Hey guys,i got a new Idea......Fuel Injected Lug Nuts, i put them on my S-10 and Chevvelle,and man,they work great,i took a fuel pump,and put it behind the wheels,and ran fuel line to the lug nuts,i got like 10extra HP,to each wheel!!

Also,you can try taking a Powerband from a Banshee or Raptor,and you can gain like 7hp,but get the one form 3rd-5th gear,they work the best.haha

One more thing,you guys ever seen them Old 57 Chev's and all with flame thrower's,where they ignite exhaust fumes(really rich fumes)

well,how about take a coil from a banshee,and rig one to the exhasut,and tap a hole for a spark plug,then make a switch,so when you ridin,just hit your choke,then the switch,and Bam a Flame Thrower?haha sounds good huh?

Thks,Pro

flaneledholes
06-22-2002, 04:34 PM
Boy oh boy are you out your funkin mind 400exc??? Or as I would like to call you "lunch box"... Man you really do have a "creative"mind dumbarse...

Guy400
06-22-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by flaneledholes
Boy oh boy are you out your funkin mind 400exc??? Or as I would like to call you "lunch box"... Man you really do have a "creative"mind dumbarse... I do believe he was joking...

phatswinn
06-23-2002, 11:34 AM
yup i would definetly saw he was kidding....