PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm Bolt Removal!!!!

key4202003
10-28-2005, 05:01 PM
how the he!! do ya take the swing arm bolt off, it wont even budge when i turn it on the bolt side!!! i have no idea... maybe get a puller and tap some threads in the hollow bolt... who knows??? ITS FROZE IN PLACE:scary: :scary: :scary:

MWB BigMike
10-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Big punch and a big hammer. Maybe a little heat. your gonna need new bearings if it is siezed that bad. The races are a pain in the *** to get out too

trx400exxracer
10-28-2005, 07:36 PM
mine came out real easy something has to be wrong

how old is your quad and how many times have you taken the swingarm bolt out and gresed it down

DH400EX
10-28-2005, 07:57 PM
will prob. have to cut it out.

QuadJunkies
10-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by DH400EX
will prob. have to cut it out.

yuppers..... Just had the same thing happen and we just had that bolt out 6 months prior and it siezed up. Wont be letting that happen again! :ermm:

Unverfehrt400ex
10-29-2005, 12:12 AM
yupp had the same thing happen to me. we worked on if for about 4 nights. finally had to cut one side out with the sawazaw and the other side we were able to cut the bolt with a torch. then the swing arm dropped right off. if its stuck that good you'll have to buy a new bolt anyways. thats the only way i know of to get it out

yamablaster24
10-29-2005, 10:45 AM
i have never had this problem with any of my quads. I have owned 5 400ex's, warriors, blasters, all ridden in mud and some didnt have the swingarm off for years. All i would do is get a friend and 2 long wrenches. One we would put on the bolt head and wedge it so it cant move on the footpeg and get another one ( around 2 feet long, if that doesnt work get a breaker bar) and take the nut off. Once the nut is off break the bolt loose and get an impact wrench and spin it wide open while your buddy taps it out. if you have the right size punch it will be a piece of cake. Those races will probably be wedgefd in their also and i would reccomend replacing all those bearings and stuff with a Pivot works set. Cost you around 60 bucks and well worth it. When installing put antisieze on the bolt, pack the bearings and bushings, and a dab of loctite ( the kind that can be removed) on the end of the bolt.

key4202003
10-29-2005, 10:59 AM
thanks all. well its an 03, and its NEVER in mud. i dunno i already striped the bolt (not nut) and well it wouldnt move ne ways...BFH AND TORCH TIME:devil:

Unverfehrt400ex
10-29-2005, 03:31 PM
yeh the nut was easy to take off on mine. and we tried and impact and rench to turn the bolt but it never budged. i also stripped the bolt. i dont know of any other options besides hammer the heck out of it or cut her out

red300
10-30-2005, 03:34 PM
man im havin the same problem right now....ive done all i can think of except cut it out...i put heat on it, didnt help. 2 diffrent sledge hammers.....

proff x
10-30-2005, 06:21 PM
i had the same problem my dad drilled out the center of the bol t on both sides and then with THE NUT on the end we used a punch and a metal spike to beat the snot out of it till it came out it is alot of time but fairly simple

jmpulse
10-30-2005, 07:47 PM
I got lucky tonight on the swingarm bolt!

I removed the nut just fine, but the bolt wouldn't turn at all. I kept it well soaked in PB Blaster and started to beat the living crap out of it. I finally decided to put the nut part way back on to allow me to really take some good swings. That nut is a weak POS! But I did manage to get the spacer on the right side to move about 1/8". So I PB'ed everything again, and started to work the bolt both directions with lots PB Blaster. After I finally got it about 1/4", then I started to spin it a few turns, and then beat it out some more. I had to beat it all the way out, not even the last little bit went easy.

This was on a 2002 that hasn't been treated nicely, and has seen tons of water in its life.

red300
10-31-2005, 09:24 AM
i still havent got mine out....itll turn pretty easily...just wont come out...im thinking it might have a worn spot that is catching somewhere or it might be stuck in the bearings and just turning the bearing or something....

10-31-2005, 10:26 AM
I had this problem about 5 months ago. I ended up cutting it out with a torch. just becarful that you dont get the little bushings in the sidecases, because to get new ones of thoes you have to buy a whole new sidecase.

quad2xtreme
11-01-2005, 05:28 AM
Once you get it out, you have 2 good options:

1) Stainless steel bolt form Woodward Specialties

2) Tap a factory swingarm bolt and drill tiny holes at strategic locations. Definitely want holes at the engine case bushings and the metal sleeves. This isn't going to get grease into the bearings but at least the bolt won't seize.

Final option is to grease the stock bolt often. I've heard people say every 6 months but then a few have said they had a problem getting it back out when they waited that long.

11-01-2005, 05:32 AM
I take mine out every month or so, it only takes me about 2 minutes. I bought a bolt from the local hardware store that is the same length but the diameter is a little small ( closest size they had). so I just send my bolt throu poping out the swing arm bolt, I grease it up then just send it back throu poping out my bolt that i bought at the hardware store.