PDA

View Full Version : My banshee vs. Your EX

06-19-2002, 11:07 AM
Whats it gonna take?99' Yamaha banshee weisco pistons,KN filter,20x11x9 Razr's,13 front sprocket.Im not tryin to start anything but I was just wondering because im thinking of getting a 400EX since my shee spends most of its time in the garage and is expensive as ****.

yamaha1470
06-19-2002, 02:00 PM
Smart of you to make the switch. A 400EX's power is a lot different then a banshee. What do u ride? dunes, MX, trails? A banshee is better in the dunes and drag racing but the 400 is better at MX. It depends what u do. Its apples and oranges. They are 2 totally different quads.

06-19-2002, 07:38 PM
How is that so(Ex better on MX)?A banshee has lots more power everywhere than a EX does?I do trail and some mx.Whats the best mods for a 400EX?

400exRacerX
06-19-2002, 07:43 PM
A 400ex is better for mx because of handling, handling is everything. You can have all the power in the world but with out good handling you got jack. Check out the vids section of a nearly stock 400 blowing a banshee's doors off along with a 330ex smoking a banshee.

bansheeguy77
06-19-2002, 07:57 PM
honestly unless u ride the ex like before u get rid of the shee and know its what u want dont do it. i just got rid of my 2000 banshee for a 400ex a few weeks back. my shee had toomey pipes, weisco pistons, boost bottle, uni filter, and other small stuff to motor...dam i miss the hit and power and just knowing if i drag somebody i wont loose and if i do it gotta be a **** of a fast quad. the handling on the 400 is better but not light and day like every1 says....the 400 is all around smoother yes but its def not a reason to get rid of the shee. mine needed a new swingarm or something with the adjusters cause they kept snapping and i got pissed and traded it....big mistake i miss it really bad. the 400 is not better at mx....yes its alot easier to jump and its much more manouverable but still no reason to get rid of it.....if i had a choice of a modded 400 vs a modded banshee the banshee all the way. the banshee just needs some shocks and an axle and its the best quad ever....dont make the same mistake i did unless ur shee has major issues. o and for trail riding thats all bull **** my shee did just fine in the trails...the 400 u can go slower on but if u go that slow ur gonna have to use the clutch on the 400 also. i put a complete big gun system, a wb rev box, and a kn on my 400 it made it better but still power is somewhat boring. i also got works shocks and a lsr axle for mx....who knows....good luck and have fun.

airheadedduner
06-19-2002, 09:27 PM
It all depends on how you ride. I banshee has more power but the EX power is better for the track. IT is smooth and takes less energy out of you to ride. It is easier to go fast on a EX then the banshee and you can go for longer too. I thought about selling my R for the EX but changed my mind cause I ride in the dunes too. The EX is cheaper to maintain and is more reliable. But remember that the EX handles way better. IT may take more money to make an EX have decent power for the track then it does for the banshee, but it takes lots more money then that to make the banshee handle and jump as well as the EX.

06-19-2002, 10:30 PM
riding a shee through the woods and riding a 400EX through the woods is like night and day. The shee has no bootom end what so ever it is constant slipping the clutch and being in the top of the gear all the time. I have found that after long hard hours of trying to keep the shee in the power band in the woods they tend to run HOT and over heat alot spit coolant. It is alot funner riding a 400Ex through the woods in my opinon because you don't have to find power. The shee is for dunes As far as MX goes the 400EX power band is so predictable you know right where the power is at and you can really get going on a a MX track. In both worlds I would love to own both of them one for woods and MX and one for dunes.

06-20-2002, 08:53 AM
Well I think your wrong there airheadeddunner because its only gonna cost me a axle($400) and new front suspension($350).And to mod the ex im not sure on the prices but your gonna need cams,carb,big bore,high compression piston to get that engine up some where CLOSE to the banshee's.And from what i heard that swing arm is **** but thats what I read from a magazine.But I definently want to ride one.

bansheeguy77
06-20-2002, 08:58 AM
its not night and day...like i said before if you plan on going 5 mph in the trails ur gonna have 2 clutch the ex to. go 10 mph and 1st on the shee is just fine. it dont have alot of low end power but it is just fine. and to make it jump right? it jumps level as can be. with stock susp the landings do suck but i thought the stock susp on my ex would be alot better than it was. yea the ex is easier to ride. but its not better i beat many ex's at the track on my shee. i still say if i was racing mx and some1 offered me a completely worked bike id take the shee.

bansheeguy77
06-20-2002, 09:01 AM
yea thats exactly what u will need...all u need for motor is a set of pipes and ur set to get start racing. yea the 400 swingarm does snap...im waiting on mine 2 go. dont listen to mags.

400exRacerX
06-20-2002, 11:32 AM
You cant fix the banshee's poor handling for motocross, its WAY too front heavy.

06-20-2002, 11:39 AM
Ive never had a problem with the front end being heavy.Thats a bunch of crap.Even it was and you were racing mx then take the headlights,new suspension,A arms and the bumper is all youd need to make it not be heavy.I dont see whats so much of the big deal with handling.I think i could handle anything(almost).But you know the old saying...slow things handle well.

Scott
06-20-2002, 11:59 AM
I could care less about your Banshee VS 400ex bashing, but I see you're in southern Ohio. Your first post asked "What's it gonna take?" Well, for $50, I'll come down and smoke your *** on a 300ex. Now that I have your attention. I have no doubt that your 'shee is faster than my 300ex. But you made a challenge, and you should be a little more cautious. I guarantee you would lose, simply because I'd pick the trail. And the trail I would pick is not wide enough for your 'shee. I watched a friend wedge his 400 between some trees trying to follow me. So you see, I could absolutely run away and leave you, with you on a built 'Shee, and me on a stock 300ex. Not because I'm faster, just because I was smarter...

Be careful shooting your mouth off, you never know when it might mis-fire...

bansheeguy77
06-20-2002, 02:07 PM
wtf that makes absolutly no sense....norm no offence but did u ever ride/ race on a banshee? well i did and i had absolutly no problems what so ever with the handling....at slow speeds the 400 turns tighter but not that much...its wider thats what helps. put a arms and shocks and an axle on the shee and it will rule. and i have also never had a problem ever with the front end being heavy....just gotta learn how to ride it....just like the 400 being *** heavy....just requires a few adjustments and it shall fly level. sorry for going off but theres nothing wrong with a banshee.

Scott
06-20-2002, 02:11 PM
Who's Norm? And I didn't say there was anything wrong with any quad...

bansheeguy77
06-20-2002, 02:23 PM
norm is 400exracerx. i dont wanna be a dick to any1 cause norm is cool as **** i just dont like when ppl diss shee's. i wasnt really saying anything about ur post scott cause i understand what ur saying.

Scott
06-20-2002, 02:40 PM
Kewl. And I agree with ya.

nakomis0
06-20-2002, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bansheeguy77
[B]its not night and day...like i said before if you plan on going 5 mph in the trails ur gonna have 2 clutch the ex to. go 10 mph and 1st on the shee is just fine.

If you have to clutch your ex to go 5mph, I think you have a jetting or compression problem. Or your in 5th gear and should only be in 1st or 2nd.

If I fall off my quad the god darn thing will just idle along, down the trail or field with no rider.

airheadedduner
06-20-2002, 05:18 PM
I am not saying the shee is a bad mxer. But it does cost more to make it go on the track then an EX. An axle and shocks for you isd gonna cost $750. I could put that into an EX motor and have lots of power,pipe, filter, 416 piston, maybe even enough left over for a cam, and you will have good power for decent price. Less then what it cost to make a shee handle right in my opinion. Cause in my opinion a banshee also needs a-arms, and rear tires. BUT THAT IS JUST IT, IT IS MY OPINION. I have rode both bikes back to back at the track and like the EX better. The shee is front heavy depending on how you ride it. A good banshee rider will no how to keep the front light. Screw both bikes the R is the way to go:D

Nausty
06-20-2002, 07:30 PM
a banshee has a better power band everywhere over the 400ex??? BULL---- the 400ex blows it away on the bottem and definitely holds its own in the mid and not only that the 400ex is a 4 stroke and has the ability to hook up on glass when you can never find traction on your banshee. To me it doesn't seem like your thinking of getting a ex but just trying to start $h1t. I don't know why people are making a big deal about the rear swingarm i'm a mx rider and abuse the crap out of mine and still has no cracks, same with the shock mounts. The 400ex is bullet broof and problems are almost non existent with them other than jetting and that type of stuff. My cousin use to have a banshee and I spent a lot of time on it but I couldn't stand the thing for mx over my 400ex but if i didn't mx that would be the quad I would want to own. but if you really learn how the 400ex works you can fly on a mx track and can hold your speed and momentum through the turns much better and that means you have to get on the brakes for longer and go slower through the berm to accelerate to catch up to my already higher speed and then some because i'm still accelerating. The banshee good for woods riding? Oh that explains why there is so many pros who race the banshee for woods but yet our qauds have identicle handling. Not only that but it takes a lot more than some 350 dollar front shocks and a wider axle to make a banshee mx ready. More like some 750 front shocks, a-arms, shorter swingarm, rear shocks conversion for the same handling as a 400ex or slightly modded 400ex except landing wise. Now it takes about $1300 bucks or so for a really good 400ex motor decked out to put out about the same topend of a banshee and tons of mid and bottem so it has a real wide powerband. And would blow away a modded banshee with some nice shocks with ssd or zero preload. Power really don't mean jack on a motorcross track as long as it means you can get up enough speed to clear a lot of jumps and long wide strait aways.

Nausty
06-20-2002, 07:36 PM
one more thing i'm not brand biast. I've owned more yamaha's than honda's in fact we have had 5 yamaha's and 2 hondas.

Castor-426ex
06-20-2002, 10:46 PM
i dont really ever see that Many Banshees at our local mx tracks...
Do i have a lot of ride time on a Banshee?......I owned one for 2 years......so heres my opinion....like it matters...hehe
The banshee was built for a purpose and that purpose was long straights....and dunes....stock vs. stock. Banshee and a 400ex on a mx track...you tell me....The money youd have to put in the Banshee to get it to handle anywhere near the 400 would be a waste....because then you are basically rebuilding the entire quad...The Banshee is nose heavy...well actually more than the nose but you get my drift...And I agree that the longer you ride one the more you adapt to it. Everything I have to say has been covered...oh well...:D think of how much itll take to get the low end response that a 400 has...Do you like jumping your banshee??? Cause I didnt really love jumping mine...harsh, unpredictable landings no matter what kinda body english you use....plus i have broken a swingarm, axle, and an engine mount...that was a while back though...ive been through four quads since then...It all depends on what ya like....i took a couple samples from the menu and decided which combo meal I wanted...now...Ill always ride red
No flames intended...keep your panties on

Jimmy Lee
06-21-2002, 02:32 PM
I own a banshee and ill admit that the 400 will eat my bike on low end ! The Banshee is awesome on the trail handles poor but thats nothing a few bucks cant take care of! as far as dunes go ive never been so i couldnt comment on that! My buddy , Kevin has 400 and i absolutely love it!..Im planning on either trading the banshee or buying a new 400!
JJ

cotttonwoody
06-21-2002, 06:11 PM
I own both and let me tell ya, the 400ex jumps so much nicer than the shee. The things that i like about the shee over the 400 are, mid-top power, plushy seat, the sound, the smell, and the reliabilty, less things have broke on the shee than the 400ex.But i have a feeling something bad is going to happen. But if i were u i would keep the shee and also get a 400.

TEEGUNN
06-22-2002, 01:36 AM
Did I read your post right? You prefer the Banshee for reliability? Also, as far as sound - I see your 400 has it's stock pipe - that explains it!

raptor_02
06-22-2002, 07:50 PM
I can't believe you are even arguing that the banshee is even close to being better than the ex at mxing. A banshee needs lots more than just an axle and suspension to be competitive at mxing. Not only that the ex's power gets to the ground and goes while the banshee is spinning and stirring up unwanted dust!!!!! Banshee's are a thriller from the late 80's and nothing more!!!!!! It's not even close to being better than an ex!!!!!!!!

MX MadMann
06-23-2002, 10:27 AM
you like the SMELL of a banshee???? :huh

please , put down , and back away from the crack pipe.

more things have broken on the ex? sounds to me like you dont ride the friggen banshee as much. or maby the 400 was made on a monday or somthing. only thing i have broken is my frame!! but it was replaced for free even though the quad was a year old and 6 months out of warrenty. see my other thread for it .

ive ridden a banshee , it had awesome power and was fast as heck. as long as you diddnt do much turning.

trx400ex
06-23-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Nausty
The 400ex is bullet broof and problems are almost non existent with them other than jetting and that type of stuff.

you cant be serious, .....sounds like alot of you have only seen or heard about banshees:rolleyes:

Poncho
06-23-2002, 05:32 PM
I agree with trx400ex and bansheeguy on this subject. I love my banshee on mx tracks. I have no problem jumping it at all. I think people like the diss the shee because there not as fast on there 400's or whatever. I would take a highly modded mx shee over a highly modded mx 400ex any day. I like to be different and prove people wrong so if anyone wants to diss my banshee come right on to the woods of Kentucky. I'll show you some of the tightest trails around and be right behind you or be in front of you letting you smell my banshee's harmful fumes. :devil And another thing I'll be willing to bet you take a stock shee with +2 arms, works tripples, & lsr axle and a 400ex with +2 arms, works tripples, and a Lsr axle and I'll garuntee the banshee will win if the riders are somewhat good.

Thank you and peace out. :D
Spencer

R-Crazy
06-23-2002, 07:25 PM
I think a Polaris Scrambler would whop on all of u, even if the rider was 2. jkjkjk

who cares. we all have quads and love them. It is all the rider and what they are used too.

dave

airheadedduner
06-23-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by raptorkiller8
Whats it gonna take?99' Yamaha banshee weisco pistons,KN filter,20x11x9 Razr's,13 front sprocket.Im not tryin to start anything but I was just wondering because im thinking of getting a 400EX since my shee spends most of its time in the garage and is expensive as ****.

Rapterkiller I think you are just trying to start $hit. Cause obviously by your posts on this thread you have already made up your mind. I go through this argument every time I go ridding cause 2/3 of my ridding group (which is like 40-45 riders) ride a banshee. So trx400ex, yes I have ridden a banshee. I love the thing. There is no, I repeat no, other thing that compares to the fealing of a nicly modded shee gettin on the pipe. But the banshee is really outdated and just plain not a great mxer. Yeah a fully modded shee could be as good of an mxer as an EX but that would be the only way. Cause none of us hear are anyway near pro,a,b,or even c riders and don't have fully modded rides. For the 99% of us the EX is a better choice. This thread has obviously turned into Honda vs. Yamaha. What a joke.

Jimmy Lee
06-23-2002, 11:09 PM
Well guys i have a very highly modded Banshee.
.100 bore
Wiseco Pro Lites
FMF Fatty's and Power Core II silencers
FMF Torque reeds
K&N air filter with alum. Air box
K&N Jet kits
Hot Rods Connecting rod
Pro Design Cool Head
22cc Domes
This thing is a money pit! Its like something is always breaking or busting or tearing up over the past 2 years every thing that is listed above has been replaced because of breakage! as youcan tell with the bore I buy rings like skittles in all honesty its no where near worth it! Its probably the fastest quad ive ever sat on but the steering sucks. Suspension is pretty good if you can keep bushings in it and thefront tires wear terrible on the insides.
Dont get me wrong this has been a good quad and ive rode the **** out of it but its just not as dependable as a honda! Plain and simple
JJ

airheadedduner
06-24-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy Lee
Well guys i have a very highly modded Banshee.
.100 bore
Wiseco Pro Lites
FMF Fatty's and Power Core II silencers
FMF Torque reeds
K&N air filter with alum. Air box
K&N Jet kits
Hot Rods Connecting rod
Pro Design Cool Head
22cc Domes
This thing is a money pit! Its like something is always breaking or busting or tearing up over the past 2 years every thing that is listed above has been replaced because of breakage! as youcan tell with the bore I buy rings like skittles in all honesty its no where near worth it! Its probably the fastest quad ive ever sat on but the steering sucks. Suspension is pretty good if you can keep bushings in it and thefront tires wear terrible on the insides.
Dont get me wrong this has been a good quad and ive rode the **** out of it but its just not as dependable as a honda! Plain and simple
JJ

Fastest bike you have ever sat on?? Have it ported buy a respectable engine builder and it will absolutly blow your mind. My cousins bike is ported, LRD pipes, bigger carbs, filters, ingnition mod. You can be cruisein in 5th, pull in the clutch rev it and drop it and it will stand up.

Ride400exj
07-15-2002, 05:04 PM
Has any one jumped a banshee then jump on a 400 and compared the difference? Well I have I took 2 banshees and one 400ex. One banshee had stock A arms and just motor work and pips and the other banshee had A arms and shock work done along with pips. The 400 have just a pip and rest was stock. The banshee with motor work was like a dead bird dropping to earth it was the worst landing ever and the banshee with A arms and shocks weren’t much better. The 400 took it and did it fine more then once. 3 people did this and we all felt the same way banshee's are drag and sand 400 is it a mix and jumping bike.

ridesa02400EX
07-17-2002, 01:34 AM
if you ride dunes and drag race go with a banshee the banshee will waste on any 400ex on the dunes or in a drag race. If u ride trails and MX go for the 400EX it has way better low end and way better handling than a banshee so i think everyone should just stop their damn arguing and leave it at that