PDA

View Full Version : are pipes worth the money?

honda 400ex 69
06-19-2002, 10:56 AM
i was thinking about ordering a t-4 slip on and a k&n jet kit is this a waste of money or does it do a lot for your bike?

honda 400ex 69
06-19-2002, 10:56 AM
by the way i have a 2000 400ex

crashinmatt
06-19-2002, 11:02 AM
it does do quite a bit for power. but if ur doin both pipe and filter then i would definitely rejet. i think it would be worth the money.

honda 400ex 69
06-19-2002, 11:11 AM
come on i know a lot of people have a pipe so what did it do for u a lot or a lil

JabberJaw
06-19-2002, 11:12 AM
The improvement is nice, but in answer to your question... ALL pipes are overpriced! They probably have $30.00 in materials!

knighttime
06-19-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by honda 400ex 69
come on i know a lot of people have a pipe so what did it do for u a lot or a lil

i think u answered your own question

i.e. why do u think so many people have pipes? :huh

red400ryder
06-19-2002, 02:12 PM
I'll tell you this my friend has a 2001 400ex with t-4 slip on with jet kit and k&n filter with outerwear and he runs without the airbox lid. his bike is amazing in performance. I'm telling his bike according to everybody that rides with him say it is just wicked. his has alot more low and mid hit than mine. he's running stock gearing with 22's. he can sit at the bottom of our hills we climb and take off and smack second right at the bottom of the hill and climb all the way to the top without any problems. but in my opinion it's worth it to get a pipe, jet kit, air filter and really anything else to turn your ride into a beast.

I'll tell you this we dragged once together with also a warrior and before me and the warrior got half way down the stretch he hit the finish line. I was running the exact same setup (stock gearing with same exact 22in tires) on my stock 400 and he plain out stomped me and the warrior. plus the road was wet from the rain but not bad. and everybody said that the guy was spinning most of the way on his 400 since the road wasn't dry. so in my opinion if I were you get the t-4 and everything else. its worth it. later madmike

ChadEXer
06-19-2002, 02:27 PM
The best commercially built pipes out now are the Big Gun #1 and the Yoshimura #2. This was determined by Terry Marcum who done a shootout of all the pipes. he said the T-4 pipe was "merely OK" along with the Bills, Muzzy, and DMC pipes.
I would say get one of those pipes or even better get you an engine builders pipe!!

nakomis0
06-19-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
The best commercially built pipes out now are the Big Gun #1 and the Yoshimura #2. This was determined by Terry Marcum who done a shootout of all the pipes. he said the T-4 pipe was "merely OK" along with the Bills, Muzzy, and DMC pipes.
I would say get one of those pipes or even better get you an engine builders pipe!!

Dood you ever see the header on that Big Gun full exhaust? Its just a lil guy, almost cute:D My Wb header is about 1/3 bigger.

1/3 bigger is alot, .. just ask your girlfriend ..lol.. jk
:square

honda250xrider
06-19-2002, 03:14 PM
i would say go with a sparks or a tc pipe

ChadEXer
06-19-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by nakomis0

Dood you ever see the header on that Big Gun full exhaust? Its just a lil guy, almost cute:D My Wb header is about 1/3 bigger.

1/3 bigger is alot, .. just ask your girlfriend ..lol.. jk
:square
Are you talking about the new Big Gun or the Old Big Gun pipes??? I used to have one of the old Big Gun pipes and i know exactly what you are talking about but ive been told by numerous people that Big Gun is making their new pipes with much larger headpipes!!! Marcums done a shootout and thats how they rated them!!!

nakomis0
06-19-2002, 03:31 PM
No shiznit?

I didn't know they ever changed them. MY buddy has one and he got it when they first came out, so I'm sure its old school. I gotta pay attention nexttime i seen a new BG, anyone have a pic?

patrick delao
06-19-2002, 03:33 PM
Chad I call big gun and talk to tech service a guy I think named Shawn and he said there is NO difference between ANY of the big guns they are all the same only now you can get the quiet core insert. So I heard it from the horses mouth No difference because I was looking to get one for my raptor if they make a better one then what they had. sorry
Pat

ChadEXer
06-19-2002, 04:14 PM
Go to Marcums website and read what he wrote in the "400EX only" Exhaust! He gets his pipes from Big Gun and says they have redesigned the silencer and the headpipe! I have also heard this from quite a few people that own the new Big Gun pipes! I know they are ceramic coated now and look really sweet. Patrick, Im not saying what you said isnt true, this is just what Ive heard!! I used to have the old Big Gun pipe, and they SUCK!!!

patrick delao
06-19-2002, 04:25 PM
Chad just like you i heard that the big gun had a newer pipe so thats why I call them to hear it for myself from the maker. I don't know about the other pipe test on Marcums site I just heard it from Big gun themselves that they are all the same??? My question is who are you going to believe someone who buys from them or Big gun themselves???. I have a full pro meg W/B on my raptor now but I think I'm going to try a Yoshi

TravEX
06-19-2002, 04:32 PM
I'm very happy with my WB E series pipe

Maryland 400EX
06-20-2002, 09:09 AM
Id like to see Marcum's test results because in two other tests that I've seen, the Yoshimura and T-4 were not much better than stock in terms of performance. The Sparks and White-E have had superior HP numbers....

patrick delao
06-24-2002, 03:40 PM
Before I get the Yoshi I ordered 6 more discs for my pro meg to see if that helps get me some more power and If I like it I will stick to my W/B
Pat

Punk13rym
06-24-2002, 05:45 PM
the new Big Gun also gets wider as it gose tward the silencer.

mxriderona400ex
06-24-2002, 11:09 PM
I have recently purchased an exhaust pipe.Through out my studies i hav found LRD to be the best exhaust system for the 400ex.I was going to get the YOSHIMURA, but i have found it to be restrictive on big bore kits(unless you get the pro system,alot of $$ though).The LRD can be good for a motor size up to 445cc.
I would not buy any other pipe.The WHITE BROTHERS e-series is good but the packing has blown out of three of the pipes that my friends have purchased.

In conclusion i think the full LRD exhaust is the best for your money.

airheadedduner
06-24-2002, 11:46 PM
Go with the WB. It produces good power and has a really ridable powerband. I agree with mxrider on the LRD pipe. I have ridden all kind of bikes with all kinds of pipes including the LRD and have found it to be the best pipe on every bike I have ridden. But it is gonna be the loudest thing you have ever heard on the EX:D Smaller head pipe means more low end because you get more exhaust volocity. Thats why ppl put torque stuffers in larger pipes to gain back the low end you will loose from a big headpipe.

MX MadMann
06-25-2002, 08:05 AM
unless the " new big gun " comes with NOS , i dont see how it could make more power than the sparks or WB. if you dont mind dropping a lil more dough like i did. i would get the sparks x-6 , it'll rape a t-4 and can also be used on big bore motors. hmm , you said yourself that marcums gets pipes from big gun or somthing like that. this test sounds like it would just just a bit biased to me.