PDA

View Full Version : I found the tracking problem.

shorgasm
10-28-2005, 10:45 AM
I posted awhile ago about my 400ex pulling to the left while the front end was up of the ground or under a good amount of power.Couldn't figure it out..tires good..pressure good..nothing appears to be bent.

I took several measurements....most came back about even.

A-arm to axle and peg to axle come up 1/4" shy on the right side:huh
Somethings off here...swingarm looks straight no signs of binding.The wheels are good nothing banged up.just no signs of stress for a swingarm to be off 1/4".The pulling on the street gave it away.The dirt you can't fel it.

Then I remembered..the axle adjuster is turned all the way around from normal...what I mean is the notch you judge for chain stretch is on the bottom side out of sight as opposed to being on topish to see...Does this have anything to do with it?
I know it is ovalish to adjust the chain but is it not meant to be upside down?

400exMO
10-28-2005, 11:23 PM
weird, if you have time, try to flip it. I hope someone knows!

h400exrydr
10-29-2005, 09:25 AM
yea i am havin the same problem. when i try to ride a wheelie it pulls to the left like a SOB

shorgasm
10-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Take a tape measure and let it sit tight on the footpeg and then measure straight back to the axle.I got my measurement from the farthest out on the axle.It's only 1/4" but it is is enough to be odd on the street.The dirt really isn't an issue but hard pack might prove interesting.I can turn against it fine but would arther my stuff be perfect.

Quad Dude
10-29-2005, 07:55 PM
cheak your pivot bearings where the swing arm bolt goes through
put blocks under just the frame so all the wheel are off the ground and push on the back wheels. mine did that andi could never tell riding it with all the wheels on the ground on a wheelie it would pull to the left almost no matter what

prepracing
10-30-2005, 06:50 PM
the axle bearing carrier is the same diameter on both sides so that shouldn't have anything to do with it

rYan01400EX
11-01-2005, 10:14 PM
This might be stupid, and a bit of common sense but what about tire pressure? Being off the least little bit will make it pull to either side depending on which tire has less pressure.

400exMO
11-02-2005, 06:54 AM
He said that wasn't the problem in a previous thread.

bwamos
11-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Has he checked the actual diameter of his tires? Not the label but the actual diameter.

Some brands are notorious for having one tire actually being up to an inch larger than the other.

Easiest way to check is to block the back end up off of the ground and take a cloth tape measure and measure the circumference of each tire in the middle of the tire. I'll bet one is larger than the other.

shorgasm
11-02-2005, 02:20 PM
I dropped a lb of air out of the right one to make ti pull right and still it pulls left.I'll check the overall diameter.maxl nut wasa tick loose.Enough to rattle when you touch it.Figured that would be a bear to loosen/tighten..simple as pie.Look as if it never had been touched though.Hmm..

I did get my measurements form the axle not the tire..I'll check it anyways.

shorgasm
11-02-2005, 02:35 PM
SUNUFABISCH.....I just measured the outer diameter.The right tire is almost 2 inches larger at 4psi than the left at 6psi.I noticed the other day the right tire looked buldged a bit...busy with other stuff and chalked it up to differetn tire psi....forgetting it was the one with less....Man am I pissed-off.....2nd problem with these brand new tires.One was shipped used and they sent another to me for free of course.This one is one of the original two..:mad:

300exOH
11-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by shorgasm
SUNUFABISCH.....I just measured the outer diameter.The right tire is almost 2 inches larger at 4psi than the left at 6psi.I noticed the other day the right tire looked buldged a bit...busy with other stuff and chalked it up to differetn tire psi....forgetting it was the one with less....Man am I pissed-off.....2nd problem with these brand new tires.One was shipped used and they sent another to me for free of course.This one is one of the original two..:mad:

Just a stab in the dark but are they holeshots? I had this problem with them myself. As a matter of fact I still have one of the "bulgy" tires laying around.

bwamos
11-03-2005, 09:06 AM

Figured that was the problem.
Even if your frame was bent a little (mine is).. it could pull left when on all 4 wheels "some" mines not even noticable.. but not when your wheelieing.

Pulling ot the side is almost always rear tire diameter issues. Front tire doesnt matter since they are independent of each other. But a 20" tire with one having a 2" larger circumfrence can make a big difference. Without anyhting countering the turne you will do a full circle at a 100ft radius.

11-03-2005, 09:07 AM
2 inches in circumfrince (sp) isnt all that much, if you can believe it.

I dident quite bother to read the whole thead, but have you checked the swing arm bearings. because I have heard of ppl thinking the chain is loose, tightening the slack in the chain, wich pulls the swing arm to one side..

shorgasm
11-03-2005, 10:47 AM
I see no sign of the bearings being bad.No binding and when off the ground the backend is solid either way you try to move it.No play whatsoever.The tires are Bandit A/T's..brand new.I bought them both new and one was sent to me used..just a bit but all the nipples were gone.They sent another and the bad one now is the other original they sent the first time.

I sent him an e-mail and haven't heard from him yet.He's usually pretty prompt about it.

The bulge is visible by eye...my girl noticed it and she is blind..Lol..not really but you get the point.:D

I'm gonna flip the around and see if the pull changes sides.:ermm:

300exOH
11-03-2005, 11:14 AM
I see no sign of the bearings being bad.No binding and when off the ground the backend is solid either way you try to move it.No play whatsoever.The tires are Bandit A/T's..brand new.I bought them both new and one was sent to me used..just a bit but all the nipples were gone.They sent another and the bad one now is the other original they sent the first time.

I sent him an e-mail and haven't heard from him yet.He's usually pretty prompt about it.

The bulge is visible by eye...my girl noticed it and she is blind..Lol..not really but you get the point.:D

I'm gonna flip the around and see if the pull changes sides.:ermm:

Yeah. I had to deal with this with my holeshots. I had to send them back a couple times before I got a matched set. They actually told me to keep the bulgy one. They said something about the bulge having to do with how they stack the tires in the warehouse. :rolleyes: Personally I think they overinflated the tire when they mounted them and stretched it. It def sounds like the uneven size is your problem though.

shorgasm
11-03-2005, 02:50 PM
I switched them and it pulled to the right this time..same amount of pull even with the 2psi difference..I guess the tire is it.Now to get it switched.Still haven't heard from them.:ermm:

300exOH
11-03-2005, 09:34 PM
I switched them and it pulled to the right this time..same amount of pull even with the 2psi difference..I guess the tire is it.Now to get it switched.Still haven't heard from them.:ermm:

On the bright side at least it's something simple. Good luck getting things straightened out(pun intended):p