PDA

View Full Version : NOS. stories of victory, or catastrophy!

stunt400
10-28-2005, 09:58 AM
ANYONE HERE GOT NITROUS? ive been around drag racing all my life, its almost second nature to have it on your car these days! i would love to hear some stoories about "spraying" your buddies and leaving them in the dust!way too cool to have a NOS button on your bars!!!!!!!:devil:

wilkin250r
10-28-2005, 10:30 AM
For 7 seconds, I had the only 45-horsepower stock-bore 250X ever created.

I had several bad attempts before this. The first time I hit the button, the quad blubbered and died, way too rich. I couldn't get smaller jets for fuel, so I got larger for nitrous. The second time worked a little better, but nothing to write home about.

I took the system apart and changed the mounting location, which was very smart. I also switched to larger jets at the same time, which was NOT so smart.

So there I was, 3rd gear, and I hit the button. The engine roars, and the front wheels shoot towards the sky. I wasn't quite ready for that, but I'm not willing to let off the button either. I'm leaning so far over the handlebars I'm almost kissing the front bumper, and I've got a grin from ear-to-ear.

Unfortunately, the quad never did run right after that. I calculated later, based on my jet size, I was pumping an extra 25HP, which was a little more than that little motor could handle.

RiderTRX400ex
10-28-2005, 12:46 PM
thats fahkin awesome!:devil:

MarkyNark
10-29-2005, 09:25 AM
I have Nitrous on my 460EX. Its the Boondocker Liquid Nitrous system and is probably the safest on the market so far. Im running a 20hp shot with a 12:1 piston. Its very fast. Its scarey fast, and violently fast. For me, I've found that the VP C12 fuel works best with NOS. I've tried regular 110 and have found that the octane levels are not consistant. Consistant octane is very critical when running NOS with a high compression piston at shots over 15hp.

I've installed several other on my friends quads and they have all enjoyed the power that it provides. So far, not one of them has a problem with a lean condition. There is a lot to learn, I'm happy to answer any questions you have about this system.

key4202003
10-29-2005, 06:34 PM
how much to fill bottle, how many shots will a stock 400EX motor handel, how violent of a boost, do you hold button, or push and WOOSH, how long does the boost last? in intake tract or in chamber, is it b*tchin or WHAT?? when it blows is it piston jam, overheat, warpage? thanks josh

MarkyNark
10-29-2005, 07:44 PM
Josh,

The boondocker Nitrous on my motor takes about a half a second to fully engage and feel it. It changes the power band to enchance the low and and top end. You will find huge torque right off the line, and big power all the way up. The boondocker system injects the liquid nitrous at the end of your K&N Airfilter.

There are various sizes of bottles. I use the 20oz - thats holds about a 1 lb of nitrous. It costs about $5 to fill that. You'll get about 13, 7 second bursts with that. I use the button on my left handlebar side. I hit it on flat drags right off the line and continue until the drag is done - even when shifting.

With the stock carb and piston, its pretty much fool proof. The more you increase your piston compression, the more tempermental it becomes. I use the edlebrock carb, that carb is tempermental anyways. I change my jetting every time I go out because its so senstive to temperature changes. Because the carb is sensitive, that makes the Nitrous sensitive. So after I tune my carb, I tune my nitrous. It takes about 25 minutes to tune my carb, and the nitrous takes about 5 minutes. I do it at the beginning of the day and Im set for the rest of the day. If you run the stock carb and piston, you'll hardly ever have to tune the nitrous.

Remember, the higher compression piston the more problems you'll have. Also, if you run a ultra advanced ignition, this also is a problem with Nitrous. If you arent running enough octane, you also have a problem. All of those can lead to a lean condition. You'll backfire when on the button and then you'll know your out of tune. You can also ping - same lean condition there. Ive only experienced a very small ping and a slight backfire. There was no damage and I quickly retuned the Nitrous. If your fuel is not spot on with enough octane, you'll have a lean condition too. If you are too lean, the first thing that will happen is that your rings will burn. You may ping so hard you're gaskets push out or your studs pull. But if you installed and tuned it right, you wont have that problem. The Boondocker System is pretty clear about how much gasoline pressure to feed back to the carb you need. I have had no motor problems whatsoever. I love running it, and when I run out of Nitrous, I feel bad!

If your system is pumping too much extra fuel to cool the Nitrous burn, you'll be too rich. You'll be on the button and your motor will start to "gurgle" and miss. Let off the Nitrous, give her a few reves until she's recovered, and retune your Nitrous. I have this problem with my Edlebrock. The stock carb wont be a problem.

I race with a DS730 with a 20hp shot of Nitrous. I stay right with him (although I am just 2 lengths behind). That makes sense since he is just under 100hp. Im at 60hp and weigh about 40lbs more than him.

The thing about nitrous, is that it builds speed fast, pulls hard at nearly any RPM, and keeps pulling. Dont even mess with the 15 hp shots, go with at least 20hp.

If you've never installed a Boondocker Kit, it will take you about 5 hours for the first install. Then all your buddies will want you to install it on thiers and you'll end up doing it for them in about 3 hours after that.

I'd probably get the 3lb bottle if I were to do it again. Right now I have two of the 20oz bottles. Dont bother with anything smaller.

key4202003
10-30-2005, 10:59 AM
are you able to run without nos (rejet due to richness) HOW MANY SHOTS DOES IT LAST FOR W/ exaust and filter motor stock? what does it rev to RPM when button is pushed is it always in the limiter? what does your 400EX mods have(or other quads that run nos) HAVE A PICTURE. THANKS FOR THE GREAAT INFO.

MarkyNark
10-30-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by key4202003
are you able to run without nos (rejet due to richness) HOW MANY SHOTS DOES IT LAST FOR W/ exaust and filter motor stock? what does it rev to RPM when button is pushed is it always in the limiter? what does your 400EX mods have(or other quads that run nos) HAVE A PICTURE. THANKS FOR THE GREAAT INFO.

I am able to run without NOS just fine. I used to run the 13:1 piston, but my feeling is that for the EX, the 13:1 makes it just a bit to dangerous to run. So, I did cut back a bit on normal performance just to be able to run NOS. I dont have to rejet when I dont run Nitrous. As far as shots, I run a 20hp shot, I get about 13 passes at 7 seconds each. Your other motor mods wont determine how long your bottle will last. Its all in the size of the shot. The button can be pushed anytime. NOS simply broadens the entire power band. I have a 12:1 JE Ultralight piston, Lightened flywheel, 4 mil stroker crank, 440 bore, race head with porting and 1mm over size valves, Edlebrock carb, twist throttle. I did also put bigger studs in when I added NOS. Oh I forgot to mention that I am also running the web 450/451 Grind cam. That cam is good for torque on my motor, but the 479 might bleed off the pressure a bit better for Nitrous.

Picture here: http://www.on-dunes.com/forums/fileattachments/BoondockerEXinstall.jpg

The thing about the Boodocker system is that you dont have to dramatically re-jet when you run it or when you dont. The pressure from the bottle pressurized a tube that goes to the top of the carb bowl. So, when you hit the button, extra fuel is forced through the carb. That way you dont get to lean or too rich. However, because my carb is tempermental, it makes NOS tempermental. So I reject my carb (whether I run NOS or not) every time I ride - even when at the same altitude. Temperature changes and humidity seem to play a key role in my carb being tempermental. The stock carb or the Keihin carb dont have the same problems I have. Dont get me wrong, I love my carb for what it is, and it performs well, and thank God its easy to rejet!

prepracing
10-30-2005, 06:48 PM
anybody ever run them at the drag strip in the eighth mile ? what kind of times did you run ?