PDA

View Full Version : need help finding ... But dont know what they are called???

QuadJunkies
10-28-2005, 12:20 AM
I seen them in the mags, its one of those things you put on your hemlet that tells you if your helmet should be replaced??? I want to buy a few of them and wanted to know where is the best place to find them and has anyone ever had any experience with them yet??

I hope I dont find out if they work or not..... :o :p lol

thanks!:)

Evana13
10-28-2005, 05:50 AM
they are called shok-spotr helment sensor phone number is 800-237-9906. Ims is a distributor also so I guess you could go on thier web site and buy a few.

Quad18star
10-28-2005, 06:03 AM
If I were you , I'd save my money !!!!

If you were to go by what the helmet manufacturers suggest , even if you drop your helmet from off the seat of your quad , they say you should replace it . Not everyone is going to go out and replace their brain bucket after it take a 2 foot fall into the dirt .

If you're in a crash or if your helmet has pieces missing or deep scrapes , then yes I'll say replace it because it does affect the strength of the helmet .

You've been around this sport enough to know what I just mentioned ... that being said , save your money and use your common sense . That's my $0.02 on this subject .

dirtmomma
10-28-2005, 08:24 AM
I also thought about getting these but the way my kids drop thier helmets I'd have to get a new one every week!!

I think you can get them thru RMATV for 19.98 each

QuadJunkies
10-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
If I were you , I'd save my money !!!!

If you were to go by what the helmet manufacturers suggest , even if you drop your helmet from off the seat of your quad , they say you should replace it . Not everyone is going to go out and replace their brain bucket after it take a 2 foot fall into the dirt .

If you're in a crash or if your helmet has pieces missing or deep scrapes , then yes I'll say replace it because it does affect the strength of the helmet .

You've been around this sport enough to know what I just mentioned ... that being said , save your money and use your common sense . That's my $0.02 on this subject .
WEll, you make some good points, I am still curious what kind of a hit it would take though , I took a few good ones last year but my ole man took a REALLY nasty one that went two layers of color on the helmet:eek2: so I KNOW its not safe... I guess I just want the best and most safeest for my family and wanted some feeback on the product. :)

QuadJunkies
10-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
I also thought about getting these but the way my kids drop thier helmets I'd have to get a new one every week!!

I think you can get them thru RMATV for 19.98 each

HMMMMM..... Maybe Im worng, but I thought they were a bit cheaper than that in the catalog I read it was threw IMS now that Evana13 mentions it! But I could be way off on the price

Woodsrider
10-28-2005, 10:30 AM
I use the same rule for my helmet, as I do for food left in the fridge. "When in doubt, throw it out." If you take a really bad spill and your noggin bounces, I think youre going to know it. and a good visual inspection of your skid lid after the fall should be enough to tell if you need a new one. I have only replaced my helmet once, after a really bad attempt at a hill climb and the quad came over on my head. The helmet was pretty bashed up and had some visual cracks in the finish. I wasnt comfortable with the look of it so I replaced it. After my last REALLY bad wreck, which concluded with a trip to the E.R. My helmet didnt have more than a scuff that came out with pledge and a rag, so I felt the helmet is still fine.

QuadJunkies
10-28-2005, 10:32 AM
ok..ok... Ya'll talked me out of it and saved me some money... :p ;)