PDA

View Full Version : Hot cams Install

capecod400ex
10-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Is this somthing I can do my self what tools do I need? I have done some engine work on small block chevys but no ATVs or small motors.

400exMO
10-28-2005, 10:36 AM
depends, just pull the head and put the drop in cam in. Just take wrenches, and a torque wrench. Isn't to hard, if you know alittle you should be able to do.

tater_kamik
10-28-2005, 12:21 PM
its very easy, you dont have to take the engine out if you dont want to. will you be doing valve springs as well?

RiderTRX400ex
10-28-2005, 12:44 PM
its a pretty easy job, take plastic and gas tank off and and the rocker covert off.. not many tools. and drop the cam in..

capecod400ex
11-13-2005, 08:01 PM
what tools do i need to check valves clearnces ??

JDiablo
11-13-2005, 08:07 PM
valve shims :devil:

h400exrydr
11-13-2005, 08:09 PM
when u r takin out the cam make sure that the motor is at top dead center. to do the valves all u need is a 10 mm wrench and a flat head screw driver....and a thing to check the clearances. really easy thing to do

capecod400ex
12-04-2005, 04:26 PM
did you guys replace the rocker arms when you installed yours or not? I dont really feel like buying them. And are the gaskets the rubber and reusable ones or is it them crappy paper things that tare all to hell when you pull em off?

I'm trying to do this tonight if i can.

Chino886
12-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by capecod400ex
did you guys replace the rocker arms when you installed yours or not? I dont really feel like buying them. And are the gaskets the rubber and reusable ones or is it them crappy paper things that tare all to hell when you pull em off?

I'm trying to do this tonight if i can.

hardened rockers with a hotcam is a big NO, NO

they are paper gaskets, yeah, the crappy ones...

capecod400ex
12-04-2005, 04:35 PM
ok.. so keep the ones that are in it in or get new ones

2004exrider
12-04-2005, 04:40 PM
its a steel gasket thats under the rocker cover.

Jimmy

capecod400ex
12-04-2005, 04:42 PM
ok.. but do i need to get new rockers? Before i go and take the bike apart tonight i was wondering?

zeppelin
12-04-2005, 06:13 PM
here http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=182582&highlight=camshaft+install

2004exrider
12-04-2005, 06:26 PM
no, when i put mine in i replaced nothing, its a direct drop in cam.

Jimmy

DAVE14
12-04-2005, 07:05 PM
hot cams are the same hardness as youre rockers so changing the rockers or any kind of hardening isnt needed you really shouldnt take this apart without a Clymers manual anyway but if you must once the gas tank & top end stuff is out of the way so you can access it turn it over manually on the left side of the engine remove inspection hole bolt (little one ) & centerbolt cover to manually turn it over & hit tdc & make sure the little hole timing mark is lined up remove rocker cover then put a zip tie around cam gear & chain remove cam bolts & note position of the cam (should be pointing down)&removal of the decompression plunger is usually neceessary & the spring thats under it ,pop the cam in the same position (should be pointing down) & put the cover back on if theres any resistance you may half to release the tension on the cam tensioner on the side of the block by removing the philips screw & on the inside turn the small slotted screw & youll feel it retract which will loosen the chain & allow the cover to go back on easy youll need a feeler gauge to adjust the rockers but if you follow the articles section on this forum theres a tech section for that follow it exactly its very easy & if youre rockers are in good shape there shouldnt be a tick or anything& should run fine good luck!

DAVE14
12-04-2005, 07:34 PM
hot cams are the same hardness as youre rockers so changing the rockers or any kind of hardening isnt needed you really shouldnt take this apart without a Clymers manual anyway but if you must once the gas tank & top end stuff is out of the way so you can access it turn it over manually on the left side of the engine remove inspection hole bolt (little one ) & centerbolt cover to manually turn it over & hit tdc & make sure the little hole timing mark is lined up remove rocker cover then put a zip tie around cam gear & chain remove cam bolts & note position of the cam (should be pointing down)&removal of the decompression plunger is usually neceessary & the spring thats under it ,pop the cam in the same position (should be pointing down) & put the cover back on if theres any resistance you may half to release the tension on the cam tensioner on the side of the block by removing the philips screw & on the inside turn the small slotted screw & youll feel it retract which will loosen the chain & allow the cover to go back on easy youll need a feeler gauge to adjust the rockers but if you follow the articles section on this forum theres a tech section for that follow it exactly its very easy & if youre rockers are in good shape there shouldnt be a tick or anything& should run fine good luck!

400exrider707
12-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by DAVE14

There should be tension on the cam chain, if there's not then the cam chain is toast and you need a new one. I would recommend the 02 CRF 450 cam chain as a heavy duty replacement and extra security, as its only $30 or so. Also the only way to tell if you need new rockers or not is to take the vavle cover off and look. You will see the rocker faces. If the chrome plating is starting to come off you should be OK, but it is recommended to replace them. If there is an actual groove in them then definitely replace them or they will chew your cam up.

DAVE14
12-04-2005, 09:38 PM
I have a new 45 0 chain in mine & the tensioner is fine I was simply saying that to pop the new cam back onto the cam gear without binding or any b.s. its a little easier to release a little tension to drop that cam back into position Im not saying there shouldnt be tension after its all together or then he should get a chain & make sure his tensioner is alright

capecod400ex
12-05-2005, 07:50 AM
well its in and it runs fine no ticks i dident replace the rockers so w/e hopefully its fine they appeard to be in good shape as far as i could tell. Just breakin it in now so well see how its runs after that.:devil: