PDA

View Full Version : 400ex problems please look and help if possible

hondajoe05
10-27-2005, 04:40 PM
ok i have this real loud ticking nosie coming form my engine right i've adjusted the valves quiet a few times trying to get them jus right cuz i was thinking the ticking noise was them but i don't think it is now is their ne thing else that would be making a ticking noise and when you punch on the gas it sounds extremely bad cuz this 05 400ex has been sounding like **** ever since i got it back from the guy i had work on it i don't think he did something right cuz this is a kinda bad nosie or could their be different adjustments for the 05 400ex's valves???

my 2nd question is i got a pro design kill switch right i hooked it up to the coil... and when i pull the tab out it doesn't kill the engine i have a good ground yes......

ty if you and solve my problems cuz i dunno what im gonna do i really need to go riding this weekend its been 3 weeks since i've been aready and im addictied:(

Old Head
10-27-2005, 05:54 PM
1st what was the work you had done? was a cam installed? They do tick. Kill swicth have no idea i've never installed one.

hondajoe05
10-27-2005, 06:04 PM
no cams have eben installed its been bored .010 over new piston rings and supussedly he redone everything i dunno what clasifys as everything

ommkevin
10-27-2005, 06:31 PM
r u sure no cam if its bored out

hondajoe05
10-27-2005, 07:09 PM
positive i am gonna get some new cams as soon as i get the money

Over-land 450r
10-27-2005, 07:17 PM
your kill swithc isnt hooked up to the right wire.

exracer131
10-27-2005, 08:45 PM
to my knowlegde the valve lash is the same 99-05. was the engine just rebuilt or was it rebuilt before you got it, and did the loud ticking start right after the rebulid was done???

exracer131
10-27-2005, 08:49 PM
this just came to mind, ask the guy that rebuilt the engine what he did with the little spring and pin that is located under the cam. if this pin is left out you will never get the valves adjusted right. this little spring and pin operate the de-compression mechinesm.

Old Head
10-27-2005, 10:55 PM
It almost sounds like your valves are hittting the top of the piston.

aviator4
10-28-2005, 08:21 AM
The loud tick could also be caused by an exhaust leak. It's possible that he didn't install new seals in the exhaust when he installed it and he has the head "tweaked" a little.. this will sound just like a cam tick to the untrained ear.

Make sure your exhaust header bolts are torqed down to the right spec and are EVEN. You may be able to actually feel an exhaust leak when the engine is cold by holding your hand up to the front of the engine where the header meets it. DON'T TOUCH IT! it gets HOT FAST.

hondajoe05
10-28-2005, 10:34 AM
im pretty sure he put the pin in cuz it started about a week after i got it back i dunno how cuz i didn't ride it hard for a while and yes i owned it before i got it rebuilt

maybe i just have them adjusted wrong the feeler gauge is suppose to fit back in after the rocker arm has been tightened back doown or maybe i got that nut to tight yes its at top dead center i've jus never adjusted valves before i started in with this 400 so it could be me possibly at fault for adjusting them wrong but still if i got close enough you'd think the tick owuld stop right?

hondajoe05
10-28-2005, 04:17 PM
i was playing with the adjutment a little today im pretty sure its that my valves adjusted a little off it seems to b ethe right side ticking and not the left i might have them a tab to tight would that cause ticking or not i thought if they was loose it caused ticking noise but does tighten a tad to much cause the same nosie?

bradrenea
10-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Do you know that you are supposed to turn the motor over manually with the flywheel nut to get it at top dead center? And it has to be turned counterclockwise or the decompression mechanism will engage and you will never get the valves adjusted right. If you don't do the above, the valves will actually be way loose and the rockers will rattle. Only thing is, if you use the starter to bump the engine over or even turn it over by hand the wrong way, and then check the clearance it will still check out ok.
Hope that makes sense.:D

hondajoe05
10-28-2005, 10:16 PM
yes i no the flywheel is suppose to be adjusted at tdc i was reading some posts off a serach i did and it said they should tick a little bit till the engine is warmed up if they don't you might have them to tight could this be right?

bradrenea
10-29-2005, 06:07 AM
It will tick a little bit. What I was trying to say in my other reply was more the importance of the way you get the engine at TDC, not just that it has to be at TDC. If you turn the engine over clockwise to get it to TDC you will not get accurate readings while adjusting the valves.

rYan01400EX
11-01-2005, 10:36 PM
I doubt this would happen this quick on a 2005, but your timing chain may be stretched. I would hop the timing chain up to a 4/5 row chain and see what you get with that. My motor ticked.. Took out my cam chain tensioner and there was no pressure whatsoever. A way to tell if it is stretched is to remove your cam chain tensioner.. It should sorta "pop" out. Then when putting it back in, you should feel pressure at about a 1/4 inch away from the motor.. (Your tensioner should have about a 1/4 inch more to go before it is completely touching the motor.)

416exfreak
11-02-2005, 07:11 PM
my 01 416 does the same ticking thing......it has since i got.......it hasnt affected the performance of the bike any...........i jut tune it out and listen to my motor when i gas it.......sry i cant help with any thing else.............im only 13, i havnt been able to ride for over a month and its gonna be 2 more, cause i got into a car wreck and broke my left femur(its a leg bone)and now ive got a rod in the bone

rYan01400EX
11-02-2005, 08:18 PM
It is natural for all bikes to tick a little bit. It shouldn't be really loud.