PDA

View Full Version : 400ex suspension woes

hauck400ex
10-27-2005, 08:18 AM
ok, i got an 05 400ex and decided i wasnt happy with the way it ran, so i did some small mods (pipe, k&n, jets, gearing), then i got tired of that so i did some bigger things (Cam and piston), well i always read when people said to do suspension first and i thought they were all stupid and it didnt make any sense, well now i can ride my quad, but if i give it hell, its like trying to ride a bull... i look like an idiot flopping all over the place... its the harshest ride i have ever felt... i now know i need suspension upgrades, but can i get away with just some 450r front shocks and call it a day? or do i need better shocks and/or a-arms and a rear shock? basically i dont have a limit, that is because i dont have any money aside for this right now, but the bike isnt moving in the winter, more than the occasional lets go dick around on ice, but for the most part it is getting remodeled for the winter. what would be my best/most cost effective setup? i work for a honda dealership and can get parts at 10% over cost, but there is no markup in shocks, by the time i buy elkas and pay the 10% and then tax, its about the same as ebay prices. i dont want works, but i need something that does work... just let me know where to start, what to look into, and any info on 400ex suspension upgrades would be great... thanks

coryatver
10-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Well save up for some elkas or works and a rear revalve and link. 450r shocks will fit but they do not fit perfect. They are a little long and they need revalved for the 400ex . If you are serious I would get aftermarket shocks. If 450r shocks are so good why does everyone take them off and get aftermarket. And by the time you get them valved and setup they still are to long and you will have a lot of money into it anyway it makes just as much sense to get aftermarket.

400exrider707
10-27-2005, 09:51 AM
I have a stock 400ex rear w/ an elka rebuild. Its dual rate ZPS and rides very well. It might not be AS good as a full elka w/ a linkage, but it is still a very nice ride. I had elka recs on the front and the combo worked very well for me. Plus Im only asking $325 for my rear where as a new elka rear w/ a linkage will set you back nearly $1000. Also you could buy just a linkage from GT Thunder at any time later down the road.

Woodsrider
10-27-2005, 11:50 AM
I would say, go with any aftermarket shock you can afford. Anything is better than stock, as long as it fits and functions correctly. There are great deals out there on Elka front shocks, and a stock rear conversion is a great alternative to a new Elka shock. I have dual rate/SSD and a Elka conversion on the rear and absolutly love the way it rides now. Im into the whole thing under $800;)

trx400exxracer
10-27-2005, 01:55 PM
get elka fronts and send your rear shock off to gt thunder and buy their linkage and get your rear shock revalved by them to fit their linkage

later on you could get a stearing stabilizer and some Flexx bars if their is no limit

remember guys always fufill your suspension and handling department before your engine and cosmetic departments

10-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
get elka fronts and send your rear shock off to gt thunder and buy their linkage and get your rear shock revalved by them to fit their linkage

later on you could get a stearing stabilizer and some Flexx bars if their is no limit

remember guys always fufill your suspension and handling department before your engine and cosmetic departments

i second that...that is my set upinus the flexx bars...it is a lot better

400exMO
10-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
Well save up for some elkas or works and a rear revalve and link. 450r shocks will fit but they do not fit perfect. They are a little long and they need revalved for the 400ex . If you are serious I would get aftermarket shocks. If 450r shocks are so good why does everyone take them off and get aftermarket. And by the time you get them valved and setup they still are to long and you will have a lot of money into it anyway it makes just as much sense to get aftermarket.

I have 450r shocks on my bike and I measured them from eye to eye, exact same. Plus everyone takes them off their bike because it's obvious axis or elka will be better. But for someone that doesn't have a ton of cash 450r shocks revalved for you will be a huge improvement over stock. Buy some for 200 send them to GT Thunder with your rear and they'll send you back an excellent suspension setup in about 1 week. It will be cheaper than aftermarket and good enough to be pounded. But if you race i'd suggest aftermarket, ie custom axis, pep, or motowoz.