PDA

View Full Version : Making the switch to 4x4 !!!

Quad18star
10-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Well , I never thought I'd ever do this , but I've decided to give up the sport quad and go over the the Utilities . You can see my add for my YFZ in the For Sale section .

Who here has a Ute ?? What are your opinions on the best 4x4 out there ?? I'm hoping to trade my YFZ for a 660 Grizzly . Anyone out there have a 660... if so how do you like it ??

bigvforcer
10-27-2005, 08:11 AM
Nice quads and the irs rocks. It will dive a lot in the corners, especially if you push it. Most utes do though. If you can I would wait a little bit. Our Yamaha rep said a new grizzly is in the works for next year! It is supposed to be bigger displacement and EFI! I look forward to it because even though Kawi utes are the best IMO the yamaha has always beenm right behind them!

tom400ex
10-27-2005, 08:22 AM
I have an o4 grizzly and I love it :devil:

I had to 400ex and the grizzly and never rode the 400. so I sold it!
I ride the griz like a sport bike jumps, slides and whoops:D I ain't scared at all!!!

I have a penland series HMF with a K&N, jetted and 25" ATRs that are awesome. I love this bike and wish I had more time to ride it:devil: I never had any problems at all. I know some people that have problems with the rear cv joint. but its the luck of the draw, because I buddy of my has the same bike from the same dealer and he had to replace his.

Rootar
10-27-2005, 08:29 AM
seriously if your going to a ute from a YFZ go ride a outlander 800 they are AMAZING i rode one a couple weeks ago when we went and bougt my brother an outlander 400 needless to say that out lander will wheelie like its nothing jsut sit on it and give it the gas its so powerful its unreal. plus the bombardiers handle 10x better than any other ute on the market just go ride one and youll know what im talkign about

lancems007
10-27-2005, 08:31 AM
I have an 05 King Quad 700EFI with 500 miles for sale. Email me at lancem@ptd.net if you're interested.

dirtmomma
10-27-2005, 08:33 AM
I also have a sportie & a Ute, I have to say I like the sportie better on the trails sometimes!! But then again you can't NOT like the fact that you can push that magic button & keep on climbing or go thru water w/o getting wet LOL I LOVED my ute until I started on my 300ex, now since Iput my new tires on the Kodiak I DON'T like it :(:(:( they robbed ALL the power & it's a ****** to steer & I can feel EVERY bump int he road wishing I would of stayed w/ a lighter tire, but I may be selling the Spider tracs for some Mudlites!!!
YES the grizzlies are GREAT quads!! I rode one it ws a little big for me(I'm only 5') but my Kodiak is jUST the right size :D:D

Mxjunkie
10-27-2005, 10:38 AM
go with a rincon or a kawasaki parie/brute force.

TheFontMaster
10-27-2005, 12:32 PM
I would go with a prarie 700, or and outlander. I never liked how IRS quads handled, but the Bombardier's finaly got it right.

BlasterEaten250
10-27-2005, 12:44 PM
I would say either the new rincon 700, king quad, or the prairie 700.

Quad18star
10-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys ... I'd like to stay below the 660 range . Anything over that size is just overkill for me anyways . I ain't a big guy 5'8 145lbs . I've been looking into the Grizzly 660 and Also at the Kodiak 450 ... both seem to be very nice bikes for what I want to do , which is mostly just trail riding with my gf , hunting and fishing ... and of course playing in the mud .

My buddy just bought a Brute Force 750 ... lots of power but I don't like the way it handles . Every time I take it out and turn a corner , it feels like I'm gunna flip it . Also my uncle has a Suzuki and I dont like the feel of it either . :ermm:

Atkins
10-27-2005, 01:31 PM
I wish I had the $$ for yours, I love that thing.

Quad18star
10-27-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Atkins
I wish I had the $$ for yours, I love that thing.

How much do you think it's worth sitting the way it is right now?? I know what I'd ask for if I was to sell it outright here in Canada , but not a clue what it's worth in the USA .

Put it this way ... here in Canada , you pay about $7500 for a modded 400ex , so you can guess what I'd be asking for my 450 in Canadian dollars .

dirtmomma
10-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
How much do you think it's worth sitting the way it is right now?? I know what I'd ask for if I was to sell it outright here in Canada , but not a clue what it's worth in the USA .

Put it this way ... here in Canada , you pay about $7500 for a modded 400ex , so you can guess what I'd be asking for my 450 in Canadian dollars .

:eek2: ;) Dang

stalefish_132
10-27-2005, 05:28 PM
my 2 cents:ermm:

4punksdad
10-27-2005, 05:35 PM
I got a 4x4. More fun than I thought it would be.

DEAL
10-27-2005, 06:16 PM

$7500!!
Your bike is probably worth about $7500 Canadian .. a modded 400ex (a-arms ,axle, motorwork etc) will go for $5-7.
I only want $6500 canadian for mine and its got pretty much everything.

Quad18star
10-27-2005, 07:03 PM
No for the Scrambler ... I need something to throw a eat on the back and take the GF along with me .

I've looked into the Rhino . The only thing with the Rhino is that it's a bit too wide for the trails we take to go fishing and hunting .... if it wasn't for that factor , I'd be jumping all over one . My uncle has the Kawy Mule and it's a blast on the wide open roads ( or atleast roads/trails wide enough for it . ) My uncle got it stuck pretty good last weekend with my dad though ... they couldn't get it out with the winch so they had to get a few other bikes to pull it out .

4punksdad
10-27-2005, 07:14 PM
No for the Scrambler ... I need something to throw a eat on the back and take the GF along with me .

I've looked into the Rhino . The only thing with the Rhino is that it's a bit too wide for the trails we take to go fishing and hunting .... if it wasn't for that factor , I'd be jumping all over one . My uncle has the Kawy Mule and it's a blast on the wide open roads ( or atleast roads/trails wide enough for it . ) My uncle got it stuck pretty good last weekend with my dad though ... they couldn't get it out with the winch so they had to get a few other bikes to pull it out .

actually I take some pretty narrow trails..............the width isn't really an issue,,,,,,,,,,,its not that wide. The height is the issue with low hanging branches or tree growing across the trail at a 45 degree angle.

The mule isn't in the same league...........the rhino is much faster and plusher riding. If you are looking to ride 2 up.........there is NO other way.

Quad18star
10-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
actually I take some pretty narrow trails..............the width isn't really an issue,,,,,,,,,,,its not that wide. The height is the issue with low hanging branches or tree growing across the trail at a 45 degree angle.

The mule isn't in the same league...........the rhino is much faster and plusher riding. If you are looking to ride 2 up.........there is NO other way.

Nice looking machines you got there .

Yeah the height would be another issue . We usually ride in some pretty over-grown stuff to get to some remote lakes ... place I know the Rhino wouldn't fit ( we barely fit with the old 86 Honda 250) . I'll have to go and test one out I guess . Do you have the 450 or the 660??

I like the idea of riding side by side . I have never tried the Rhino , the only one I've ever tried was the Mule and it was fun . I'll take your word for the Yamaha being faster and plusher riding . Thanks for your feedback !!!!

How do they handle in the snow??

bigvforcer
10-28-2005, 06:50 AM
They handle the snow grat! There are a lot fo people making aftermarket accesories for them now. Ask anyone that saw the RESCUE RHINO at the GNCC's! CAN WE SAY BAD ***????

The last time we were down at coal creek we followed a guy on a yfz450 and a guy in a rhino. He went everywhere the 450 went and it was tight where we were riding. It really isn't any wider than a 4x4 wheeler!

You will love them! Get one if you want it man! They are a blast and are fun as hell to wheel. Almost like a freakin Jeep! FUN, FUn, FUN

4punksdad
10-28-2005, 07:53 AM
Nice looking machines you got there .

Yeah the height would be another issue . We usually ride in some pretty over-grown stuff to get to some remote lakes ... place I know the Rhino wouldn't fit ( we barely fit with the old 86 Honda 250) . I'll have to go and test one out I guess . Do you have the 450 or the 660??

I like the idea of riding side by side . I have never tried the Rhino , the only one I've ever tried was the Mule and it was fun . I'll take your word for the Yamaha being faster and plusher riding . Thanks for your feedback !!!!

How do they handle in the snow??

Mine is the 660.........both machines in the pic are not mine, just the green one. My buddy got the camo version. Snow is the best on the rhino.........and in the winter I suggest the 1/2 windshield. The rhino runs 40mph stock.........with the aftermarket ignition it will run around 45mph.

Quad18star
10-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
Mine is the 660.........both machines in the pic are not mine, just the green one. My buddy got the camo version. Snow is the best on the rhino.........and in the winter I suggest the 1/2 windshield. The rhino runs 40mph stock.........with the aftermarket ignition it will run around 45mph.

Thanks for all the information ... it's been really helpfull . Later on today I'm gunna head down to the dealership and see what they'll give me for my YFZ ( prolly nothing to jump up and down about) . I know last time I was there , they had a Rhino ... I'll take a better look at it this time and see if they'll let me take it for a spin down one of the trails they got behind the shop .

Yeah i'd imagine a windshield would be the best thing for the winter time .

Quadfather
10-28-2005, 08:41 AM
If you're in the market for a 4X4, do yourself a favor and at least look at the Suzuki Vinson. It's a great quad, and a lot less money than the quads listed so far.