PDA

View Full Version : kfx been sitting for a while

nosliw
10-26-2005, 06:44 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad:

KFX80 was put away, ran fine, then sat for a few months, now is acting funny.

it's really hard to start, but once i get 'er going, it winds out uncontrollably. it just kills it self if the rear tires are on the ground with me sitting on it, but on jack stands it just fights past the parking brake and spins 'em. hitting the throttle makes it rev even higher, so it's not winding out COMPLETELY. but the thing is still revving so high it's making me really nervous.

the throttle doesnt feel sticky or worn.

wtf is going on? i guess i'll tear into the intake and carb tomorrow, but ****ing kawasaki put it in such a pain in the *** spot, getting the airfilter out is unnecisarily difficult.

any ideas?

4punksdad
10-27-2005, 04:22 PM
sounds like its getting too much air..........or not enough fuel. Pull the fuel line off and blow air into the petcock......maybe the filter screen is plugged.

My old quadracer will do the same thing if I shut the gas off & the carb drains. If I don't let the carb completely fill with gas before I re-start it, it revs to the moon when it fires. Just like any 2 stroke does when it runs out of fuel.

nosliw
10-27-2005, 05:26 PM
nope. just went out there, took the fuel line off the petcock, fuel didnt come out until i turned it over to 'prime'

tried it again for the hell of it. started up easier this time, but wound out to high heaven. turning it over to prime while it was doing this only seemed to make it revv higher.

thanks for the suggestion 4punksdad.

any other ideas?

4punksdad
10-27-2005, 06:47 PM
did you try draining the bowl screw to bleed the water out? Maybe she is full of crud. I agree the air filters on these bikes are hard to get at. I have one of my 3 lt80's that is cold blooded as heck. The other 2 will start & run with minimal choke............keep trying the simple stuff. It has to be something simple.

Maybe you got mice living in the airbox? I have seen that a time or two.