PDA

View Full Version : Restoring an 88 250R...how many oem parts still available?

tkm
10-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Posted this on another forum, but will probably get a better idea here from those who have been there.

I found an 88 250R for a decent price. Frame looks good, but it has a pipe, muffler, nerfbars, non-stock plastic/grab bars, etc.

I'd like to put all oem Honda pieces back on the quad if I can. Can I still get oem plastic and decals for it, and does Honda still make the front/rear bars, footpegs, etc? Or, do I need to scavenge ebay and such?

I don't mind paying for new oem stuff. At the price I might be getting the bike for it's totally worth it.

BTW...I looked on servicehonda and the microfishe but from experience everything listed does not mean you can still get it. They show a oem frontfender for my 85 250sx, but it can no longer be gotten.

Any feedback is appreciated. If there is a lot of stuff that I cannot get anymore, I'll just hold out for a 450R this winter. I've just always wanted a 250R as that's one of the few quads I have not owned. Thanks.

Lonestar_R
10-26-2005, 06:01 PM
go to your dealer and tell them what you want they should be able to tell you if its still in stock in a few seconds.....my parts guy can tell me....there is no reason why they can't do it anywhere else......I know 86-87 footpegs you can't get...i'm not sure about 88-89.....alot of the part numbers update to a new one......the rear master cylinder does....it is a tad bit different where the line stops are....(I don't know what else call it....the are little things for the line to go through so it will run the right way....when you see it you will know what i'm talking about)......I have some OEM stuff that I have bought recently.....so there is more than you think is out there....just get with your parts guy.......make friends with them......you will need it if your going to redo an R.......

250Renvy
10-26-2005, 06:33 PM
I see you are in OH and if you are getting it off ebay, I doubt it'll be as cheap as you think.

The best way to go about it is to think about what it costs to replace with aftermarket stuff and if aftermarket is cheaper than it's probably still available.

Like front and rear bumper/grab bar - oem is available because everybody replaces with aftermarket. Footpegs are readily available on ebay. Plastic is still available but only front decals are - rear are discontinued (get a complete set on ebay) Pipes are definitely available but they are 2x aftermarket cost for less power plus I'm sure you can pick up a take off for $30-50
Fender stays are probably not available. Original seat covers/seats discontinued as well as petcocks and a number of gas tanks.

TheFontMaster
10-26-2005, 07:50 PM
My advice with this progect is if you are doing a restoration where you are going to reuturn every piece back to new condition, or replace with new parts is to just take your time. Rich250rracer has 86 or 87 250r that he restored, I belive that every piece on that quad is ether an original part, or an NOS (new old stock) parts that were made back when the 250r was still in production and have just sat on shelfs for 15 years. You can't get new whole motors any more, or frames, I don't think shocks ether.

tkm
10-26-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm not looking for a 100% NOS restoration. I can deal with an aftermarket seatcover and such, but non-oem plastic drives me nuts, as do cheesy looking nerf bars, etc.

At least the few main things I'm looking for still seem to be able to be found.

10-27-2005, 03:16 PM
i used to hate non oem plastics, but i just got silver fullbore plastics. they monted perfect and look bad ***.

Rich250RRacer
10-27-2005, 09:41 PM
The list of discontinued parts is huge, probably more than what's available. Tanks are still available (if you like black) and as of about a year ago, complete motors were available in kit form only. This means Honda sells them in pieces and you have to put them together, no bearings installed in the cases. Just a box full of parts. And they are 89 motors, I believe. I am hunting for the part number (which should begin with the letter "S") so I can check availability. I do know that they are VERY expensive, with a dealer cost around $2600-2800.

mrusk
10-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Return it to close to stock as possible! Instead of dumping all the $ i did in after market parts then selling for for pennies on the dollor, i wish i made it stock again!

It be sweet!
Take the time man!

zedicus00
10-31-2005, 07:02 AM
im gunna guess yur best bet is going to be refurbishing stock parts. you can get paint codes and stuff and then hav a body shop do up an old set of stock a-arms. things like that. also any good apolstry shop can clone a stock seet cover if you can show them exactly what it looks like.

ddbyrd
11-06-2005, 08:22 PM
www.servicehonda.com

The best place for stock parts!!!! PERIOD...

1shooter
11-11-2005, 07:01 PM
yup service honda for the best place and ebay is second best other than on here