PDA

View Full Version : should i use my snorkel ?

lee37vernon
10-26-2005, 05:21 PM
and no i'm not going swimming :rolleyes:

is there any benefit to using the snorkel or should i just take airbox lid off ? not gonna have much problem with sand so can have lid off no hassle .

also i have a steering damper , although its never been fitted , only place i can see it can go is onto top engine mount with a bit of fabrication , its old pep style , thats why i ask about snorkel , not sure its gonna fit .?

beerock
10-26-2005, 06:59 PM
the old pep bolts to the first FRONT motor mount on the right side of the frame and you through bolt the dampner with a plastic lock nut, a couple spacers/washers are needed to align the dampner with the stem so it doesnt cut steering down.

its the same motor mount hole the pro pegs bolt to. so your gonna need a long bolt.

zedicus00
10-27-2005, 06:54 AM
iether wayi would pull the snorkel and lid. and put a lid from a small can of spraipaint in the hole where the snorkel was. perfect fit an a hell of a lot cheeper then thouse billet plugs. becides, whos gunna see it?

small can of spraypaint like thouse in the model section at walmart, u guys hav walmarts dont u??

lee37vernon
10-27-2005, 11:45 AM
no :rolleyes:

however i can find summat ...

250r4life
10-27-2005, 12:41 PM
i have a couple questions... one, you tell him to take the airbox lid off, obviously to get more airflow. then you tell him to plug up the snorkel hole in his airbox with something solid. that doesnt make a whole lot of sense. if you are wanting to get more to your filter, i would leave them both open. i myself have an outerwear cover that covers the snorkel hole, just because my snorkel is broken. howver, if it wasnt i would have my snorkel on there. the snorkel draws air from up in front on the engine where it is a little cooler than the air coming off the engine that currently goes into the airbox... i would put a outerwear on the end of the snorkel and keep it if you can, thats just me. if not you can always give me your snorkel if youre not gunna use it..

zedicus00
10-27-2005, 01:35 PM
leeve the lid off completly, run a k&n filter with a waterproof outerwares, and block the snorkel hole. reason being is it will help keep water dirt sand and stuff from getting in yur airbox if the holes plugged. plus with no lid yur gettin all the air you need.

u really only need to keep the box at all if u ride in severly wet conditions. i run no box at all with a k&n and a waterproof outerwares, works great i think.

run same setup on blasters an everything, come right off the carb with the airfilter if u hav too stick a w/p outerwares on it and ride the shizle out of it. unless u submerge it u wont ever get any water thgough there.

Tom TRX250R
10-27-2005, 01:52 PM
I agree with Zedicus, do not use the snorkel, it does nothing to help performance and is just bulky and useless. Remove lid and throw a small spray paint can lid in there or use an outerwears, thats what I used to do when I ran an airbox.
Now I am running the ESR airbox eliminator kit which IMO eliminates more chances to leak or suck stuff in. I have never had any problems with sucking in water or anything. The only time I wouldn't run this setup if you were doing strictly trail riding when you will be hitting creeks when there could be a chance of sucking up water. You have to make a custom bracket to hold your rear brake reseivor but other than that it simple to install.

beerock
10-27-2005, 04:41 PM
you lose bottom end with the esr airbox elim kit....

Tom TRX250R
10-27-2005, 07:01 PM
I honestly didn't lose any bottom end when I installed mine and if anything gained a little throttle response.

beerock
10-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Tom TRX250R
I honestly didn't lose any bottom end when I installed mine and if anything gained a little throttle response.

trust me you lost bottom.

beerock
10-27-2005, 08:26 PM
the best air box eliminator kit uses the trx air boot and filter. its pretty much a box cut completely away with just a tab to mount the flat piece of aluminum to the frame. This way you dont lose the venturi effect liek you do with the esr kit, thus less bottom end.

zedicus00
10-28-2005, 06:55 AM
yeah on small bores u can loose a noticeable amount of bottom end, my stock bore sure did. the bigger the bores get the the happier a TRX is withought an airbox though.

i do hav the aluminum eliminator kit that bee's talkin bout though. just a bracket that goes from where the front of the box mounted and has a place for the break resy to mount, i got mine from JRPM.

Tom TRX250R
10-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Maybe I didn't notice it because my quad has pretty much all top end due to the porting.

Coyoteman
10-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by zedicus00

i do hav the aluminum eliminator kit that bee's talkin bout though. just a bracket that goes from where the front of the box mounted and has a place for the break resy to mount, i got mine from JRPM.

Is this basically the same thing I see on ebay all the time?

beerock
10-29-2005, 06:42 PM
if its from esr NO

Tom TRX250R
10-29-2005, 08:28 PM
Hey Bee,
So do you know where to get the style of airbox eliminator kit to eliminate the problem of losing bottem end? After I install the 350PV I will be putting on the TRX5 center mount pipe where I'll have to run this setup.

Meat
10-30-2005, 04:46 PM
I know Banshees will run like crap if you take the lid off and don't rejet. how does removing the airbox lid and snorkle effect the jetting on a stock carbed 250r ??