PDA

View Full Version : engine still ticking after adjusted valves??

01screamindemon
10-26-2005, 02:59 PM
So my engine pretty much all of sudden started to tick while i was at the drag strip one night. I could tell it lost some performance from it, too. So i adjusted the valves to spec, thinkin that they were making the noise. Well after I finished that up its still ticking. And yes i know the 400s usually have a slight tick to them normally, but this is a very loud ticking. Any help would be much appreciated.

Franky G
10-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Could be the timing chain that has stretched and doing that sound but realy not sure

Dupontster
10-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Try buying a new timing chain tensionor. It would also be a good idea to buy a crf timing chain too. Mine did the same thing.

01screamindemon
10-26-2005, 04:20 PM
That sounds like the only logical explanation. My question though, if it was the timing chain, wouldnt that progressively get louder as time went on, or would it all of a sudden at one time start ticking louder?

Dupontster
10-26-2005, 05:57 PM
When my timing chain tensionor went bad it just started ticking all at once. Im talking about the tensionor on the back right side of the motor. Here is a link of what im talking about. Its number 6. Its called the lifter tensionor.
http://216.37.204.206/SLOAN/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=79&B=6

01screamindemon
10-26-2005, 07:01 PM
$60 bucks for that lil thing? Thas crazy haha. Oh well its worth it if it stops this extremely annoying ticking. Just another thought to make sure on everything, but is there any other way it could still be the valves ticking? Dont the valves have seals or guides or something? Just tryin to think of any possible explanation just to be sure.

10-26-2005, 07:56 PM
is it from the head?? my head pipe spacer was worn out... idk but it sure would be cheaper than a chain;)