View Full Version : Need help shaving quad weight...

cody anderson
10-26-2005, 12:25 PM
All right people... I need help shaving weight on my YFZ. Any suffestions would be awesome. She needs to go on a diet! I've got some ideas so far, but anybody who knows what to do, please help.

Here's what I've done so far. I have all Hipers, billit front hubs, and billit rear hubs for when I run 9" rears. No head lights, got rid of stock start button, aluminum, spocket hub, brake hub and anti-fade. Got rid of stock footpets and raplaced with Rath pro-peg nerfs with integrated foot peg, rath phanton heel gaurds, alum grab bar, alum bumper, Lost Creek Cycles wiring harness, took off un-needed tabs on the frame, no fan... There's more. I really need to get it down there. But remember, this is an MX bike, not TT.

As for myself, I'm 6'2", and 195 lbs and a crap load of muscle. I don't have much to give. But, I drink 1 gallon of water a day, NO ALCOHOL, fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch with no dressing. I've lost 10 so far, I figure I can only lose 10 more...

Thanks guys!

Bush0102
10-26-2005, 12:27 PM
well if you're willing to spend the money, a kickstart conversion is always a good start.

derekhonda
10-26-2005, 12:29 PM
take the swingarm off, isnt really needed

Tator salad
10-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Take sand paper to your plastic and sand it down till it's half the thickness. then take a grinder and do the same to your frame and engine cases!

Mxjunkie
10-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Loose some weight on your end!

then take your seat off, psh who needs a seat!

fill your tires with stuff they put in ballons!

All kidding aside, maybe look into lighter parts aftermarket companys have, chromolly parts are used in bmx to save weight and add strength..

Maybe see if you can get carbon fiber parts, its possible to make tanks and all, they have a chopper out now that is a one piece carbon fiber tank/fenders/frame!

wilkin250r
10-26-2005, 12:56 PM
Aftermarket frame. I think, on average, they are like 10-20% lighter.

Take a good look at your wheels and tires. For acceleration, 1lb of rotational weight (wheels and tires) is equal to about 5lbs of unsprung weight (frame, plastics, ect).

Mxjunkie
10-26-2005, 12:58 PM
depends what class hes running for a frame though..

if you can run a frame do they still offer aluminum frames like the old 250r lrd frames?

wheels and tires are pretty big, from what I understand hipers are lighter then standard beedlocks, but a little pricey.

KWAD GAWD
10-26-2005, 01:00 PM
How much do you weigh? Are you a fatty? If you are, I'd start there and slim down and get into race-shape. Maybe drop 10-20 pounds - that's much easier than trying to shave 20 pounds from your bike. Healthy balanced diet, daily cardio workout and strength training. Lots of water and stretching, you know! I wouldn't worry about shaving weight from you bike unless you're racing at the Pro level. You gotta have your priorities straight if you want to be a real racer my man:
Fat=heavy and slow, Healthy=light and strong. That right there is the key to going fast my friend, not how fast or powerful or bling bling your bike is.

jwick07
10-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Stock wheels and tires are much heavier than after market of any kind, and aftermarket shocks are a little lighter,

But really just don't wear your riding boots and wear flops instead save you a good 4 lbs

Killa250ex
10-26-2005, 01:48 PM
Take a poop b4 u race! Thats 5 pounds right there :p

xx3003xrdrxx
10-26-2005, 02:59 PM
take off all your lights , skid plates , new tires and rims , axle , front end . all of these are lighter

Tator salad
10-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Only run half your bolts.

shave all the tread off your tires.

Get rid of your shocks!

watts16
10-26-2005, 03:25 PM
take out the engine that will save alot of weight

wooooohoooooo 1000 posts

wvspeedfreak
10-26-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

Take a good look at your wheels and tires. For acceleration, 1lb of rotational weight (wheels and tires) is equal to about 5lbs of unsprung weight (frame, plastics, ect).

Wilkin250r,normally I wouldn't question your posts but aren't wheels and tires considered "unsprung weight" and the frame,plastics,etc "sprung weight"?

MAaudioX10
10-26-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
Wilkin250r,normally I wouldn't question your posts but....

and for that, you are banned!!

Honda TRX250ex
10-26-2005, 06:57 PM
dont use tires seat plastic exhaust nerfs grab bar grips dont need the brakes umm you could lose like 20 ugly lbs on your half by choping your head off
but still wear a helmet
j/k :blah:
you can cut your fenders get smaller tires lose all the steel parts and get alum carbon fider just lil things to they will add up

FoxRacing81
10-26-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm thinking wheel hubs, wheels, tires, shaving un-used mounts off the frame, lighter grab bars/bumpers/nerfs, smaller gas tank maybe? cut plastics....and like what other people said, just more aluminum parts.

EvilJester400EX
10-26-2005, 07:07 PM
All the aluminum parts you can, if you don't want a kick start kit then cut the wiring harness (2.5 pounds right there), take off the stock skid plates, Douglas Ultimate beadlocks are actually lighter than Hipers, I know of a few guys who have actually taken the oil tank off and just run them with the oil inside the engine.

Toadz400
10-26-2005, 10:13 PM
Wilkin250r,normally I wouldn't question your posts but aren't wheels and tires considered "unsprung weight" and the frame,plastics,etc "sprung weight"?

I don't know about that, it might be a combination of the two.

I'm waiting for the Great Wilkin to reply on this one...has anyone ever questioned him?!:eek2: :uhoh:

Oh, and as for your quad, put it on the treadmill.

cody anderson
10-27-2005, 07:17 AM

I run production classes... So I need that stock frame. As far as rotating mass, I have all Hipers, billit front hubs and billit rear hubs when I use a 9" wheel. I've also got an Alum. sprocket hub, brake hub and lock not.

cody anderson
10-27-2005, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by KWAD GAWD
How much do you weigh? Are you a fatty? If you are, I'd start there and slim down and get into race-shape. Maybe drop 10-20 pounds - that's much easier than trying to shave 20 pounds from your bike. Healthy balanced diet, daily cardio workout and strength training. Lots of water and stretching, you know! I wouldn't worry about shaving weight from you bike unless you're racing at the Pro level. You gotta have your priorities straight if you want to be a real racer my man:
Fat=heavy and slow, Healthy=light and strong. That right there is the key to going fast my friend, not how fast or powerful or bling bling your bike is.

I've lost 10lbs so far, need to lose 10 more. I'm 6'2" 195 lbs and a crap load of muscle. I don't have mush fat to give up...

As far as classes, I race the Pro/Am Unlimited and Pro class for TT and Pro/Am Unlimted in MX.

1 gallon of water a day, fruit for breakfast and a salad for lunch.

MXcutie
10-27-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by cody anderson
I've lost 10lbs so far, need to lose 10 more. I'm 6'2" 195 lbs and a crap load of muscle. I don't have mush fat to give up...

As far as classes, I race the Pro/Am Unlimited and Pro class for TT and Pro/Am Unlimted in MX.

1 gallon of water a day, fruit for breakfast and a salad for lunch.

you forgot to add how sexy you are ;)

Honda TRX250ex
10-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by MXcutie
are you talking to me again?:huh

Scott-300ex
10-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I'm sayin kickstart for sure.

And you all should know where this is from

"You take, all the bolts out of your sprocket, thats about, 3 horsepowers lighter."

Wax your plastic so you go faster in the wind.:D

And cody, I haven't seen you on exriders in forever, at least on the open forum, good to see you again man!

Ex-lax

And guys don't tell him, "You gotta listen to me if you wanna be a real racer, and good." Cuz he is a pro and could kill you on a pw50

cody anderson
10-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by MXcutie

Thanks MX... How are you?

cody anderson
10-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
Yeah, I'm sayin kickstart for sure.

And you all should know where this is from

"You take, all the bolts out of your sprocket, thats about, 3 horsepowers lighter."

Wax your plastic so you go faster in the wind.:D

And cody, I haven't seen you on exriders in forever, at least on the open forum, good to see you again man!

Ex-lax

And guys don't tell him, "You gotta listen to me if you wanna be a real racer, and good." Cuz he is a pro and could kill you on a pw50

Thanks man. I've just been really busy with racing and havan't had time to get on the computer, you know... I thought about a kicker, but I had a kicker on my lkast Walsh and the thing started like a huge POS! I never got it to start well until I put the _Start BAK ON IT! The it kicked over like a champ!

Evana13
10-27-2005, 03:35 PM
mabey an aftermarket pipe some save like 4 pouds or more you shold deffiently ditch the battery that is like 7 pounds.

JDiablo
10-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Titanium upper arms,Walsh has titanium bolts to.
Def rethink over that kickstart kit i think its a matter of 15 pds and what not.
Have you thought about the sidewinder chain and sprocket kits?Those are suppose to be lighter.
Billet shifters,brake pedal

Maybe lighter wave rotors

wilkin250r
10-27-2005, 03:48 PM

Yeah, I had it backwards. Whatever.

"Sprung" and "unsprung" refer to parts that are attached to the suspension. The tires are directly connected to the road, thus are considered "unsprung". Everything else is connected through the suspension, thus is considered "sprung".

I probably shouldn't even have said "sprung weight". Even if that would have been the correct term, it's not the point I'm trying to make. Sprung weight has to do with the suspension's ability to react, it must first overcome the inertia caused by the mass of the tires. However, the point I was trying to make was more about rotational inertia.

So, yeah, I was wrong. Anybody tries to rub it in, and I'll be handing out the bans. :mad:

wilkin250r
10-27-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I'm waiting for the Great Wilkin to reply on this one...has anyone ever questioned him?!:eek2: :uhoh:

A minor technicality. Little more than a typo, it doesn't really count.

The last person that actually DID question me, not just a technicality, but actually question my knowledge, was golfman400ex.

Yeah, he was banned.

Scott-300ex
10-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by cody anderson
Thanks man. I've just been really busy with racing and havan't had time to get on the computer, you know... I thought about a kicker, but I had a kicker on my lkast Walsh and the thing started like a huge POS! I never got it to start well until I put the _Start BAK ON IT! The it kicked over like a champ!

Wow cody, thanks for the reply.

Do you remember me from the days when you were around? LoL

You have a pm, or will once I finish this post and type you one.

But could you drill holes in your frame? On cars there are wholes for strenght and stuff. Just a thought.

Also, you can run the least amount of gas as you can.

Take off accesory parts such as skid plates and such.

You could run helium in your tires, that would help.:D

Shave your front fenders and even your back.

Run thinner oil. Which would help your rpms too.

No nerfs.

Don't run with bumpers on.

Run without air scoops

No gas resivour shocks, would hurt performance though.

Lite riding gear.

I'm tryin to think of everything I can for ya buddy.

cody anderson
10-28-2005, 07:34 AM
This is an MX bike, so I need nerfs, radiator scoops, rear res. shock, ect. I already have billit shifter, brake pedal, wave rotors, and have cut plastic...

smitty_13f
10-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Wow do none of you people know who cody anderson is? he comes on here and asks a simple question and you all act like he's just another little kid asking a stupid question and give him a bunch of stupid replies so if your just gonna be a smart*** don't even bother

and cody you could strip your quad down to the frame and replace all the stock bolts with titanium bolts and change to a kickstarter but remember when you add an aftermarket swingarm it adds weight and so do aftermarket a-arms but with the kickstart you can remove all the electrical wires, harness, battery and what not.

LTZ400rider
10-28-2005, 01:49 PM
take off plastics, take off airbox and filter, run 3 psi in ur tires, shave all your body hair, take all the paint of your frame, run 1/4 tank before you race, take out ur cams and coolant, and water impeller, strip all the plastic on the wires and cables, and ur subframe needs to go

zeppelin
10-28-2005, 01:57 PM
does any one make wet-sump kits for the yfz, i remeber that it saved like 7 lbs on a yz250f after you took all of the extra parts off

Toadz400
10-29-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by smitty_13f
Wow do none of you people know who cody anderson is? he comes on here and asks a simple question and you all act like he's just another little kid asking a stupid question and give him a bunch of stupid replies so if your just gonna be a smart*** don't even bother

I'm sure everyone knows who Cody Anderson is, at least if they have been in the sport for more than a year. I think that's why everyone is giving him all those bullsh*t answers because he knows we're joking and won't take it all seriously like you did.

So Cody, have you tried just ditching the tires and wheels and just running the hubs? I bet you could still get some good traction and you'd also be tilling the track!:eek2:

cody anderson
10-31-2005, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by smitty_13f

and cody you could strip your quad down to the frame and replace all the stock bolts with titanium bolts and change to a kickstarter but remember when you add an aftermarket swingarm it adds weight and so do aftermarket a-arms but with the kickstart you can remove all the electrical wires, harness, battery and what not.

I'm replacing all the bolts with allen head bolts, there's less material in the head, so that means less weight. As far as the swingarm, I'm going to keep the stock 06 swingarm and just hope it holds up. As far as the kicker, I had a kicker on my last one and never liked it because it started like a POS! With the wiring harness, I'm going to have Kevin at Lost Creek Cycles strip it and re-do it. He'll get some weight out of it AND make the YFZ wiring easier...

EvilJester400EX
10-31-2005, 08:45 AM
Drill your frame, calipers, rotors, everything. Pop three small holes in your upper a-arm mounts, lower a-arm mounts, drill out the area behind the bumper. I know a guy that races TT in our local series was able to drop 25 pounds from his Honda frame by doing this.

wilkin250r
10-31-2005, 10:43 AM
Drilling the frame for TT is fine and dandy, but I don't think I'd risk it for MX. Motocross tends to put a little more stress on the frame than flattrack.

infantry317
10-31-2005, 11:02 AM
Would losing the FASST bars save a little? They sure look heavier than a set of T2's:ermm: Weigh them bad boys, I think they need a diet, me too.:devil:

cody anderson
10-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by infantry317
Would losing the FASST bars save a little? They sure look heavier than a set of T2's:ermm: Weigh them bad boys, I think they need a diet, me too.:devil:

Yeah, It would drop about two punds, but I want to use this bike for MX, sooo. To me it's not worth it. I'd rather have those bars. They're awesome.:scary:

Honda TRX250ex
10-31-2005, 06:52 PM
IT THE THREAD DIE ITS COMMON SENSE HOW TO SAVE WEIGHT!

250xridamatt
10-31-2005, 07:53 PM
Sorry, that doesnt make any sense... but you if you mean Let the thread die, why would they do that? People are always coming up with new and better ways to shave weight. So maybe you should shut up.

bad01300ex
10-31-2005, 09:52 PM
just ditch the quad alltogether and run around the track:eek2: jk

but i read somwhere that douglas ultimates were lighter than hipers:confused: not really sure but thats a thought.

cody anderson
11-01-2005, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by bad01300ex
just ditch the quad alltogether and run around the track:eek2: jk

but i read somwhere that douglas ultimates were lighter than hipers:confused: not really sure but thats a thought.

I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I have a contract with Hiper. They're good to me and I'll run Hipers as long as I can...:p

Atkins
11-01-2005, 07:57 AM
Mike Walsh makes a ton of Titanium parts for the YFZ, but theyll cost ya.

Go to walshrc.com

DVS_Freestyler
11-01-2005, 12:53 PM
the best way to shave off weight is to slap on some akraix stickers on there, thats easily 15 pounds right there... hahah

nice moves on the mag you sent me!

DerekG

troutman561
11-01-2005, 02:24 PM
take the engine out and also the tires off

xx3003xrdrxx
11-01-2005, 03:32 PM
enuff with the bull**** answers there not funny anymore ;) :rolleyes:

JDiablo
11-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Maybe try to get a titanium exhaust?

I really cant think of anything else unless you have alot of cash to dish out for custom made titanium parts or billet

EvilJester400EX
11-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Drilling the frame for TT is fine and dandy, but I don't think I'd risk it for MX. Motocross tends to put a little more stress on the frame than flattrack.

Nor would I.

Scott-300ex
11-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Yeah groove your tires, they make a groover or wutever, better for wieght and engine rpms.

Monster trucks do it, shave off 1/2 the tire wieght.

LoL

11-01-2005, 04:44 PM
I would think that someone must make a light weight starter for a quad.

cody anderson
11-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by DVS_Freestyler
the best way to shave off weight is to slap on some akraix stickers on there, thats easily 15 pounds right there... hahah

nice moves on the mag you sent me!

DerekG

I already have that one there bro... Thanks for the care package you guys sent me. If you want a couple more copies of that mag, let me know. I'll get it taken care of.

Hope that arm gets better.

Late

Scott-300ex
11-01-2005, 08:33 PM
I'd like a copy.

LoL

Toadz400
11-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
I'd like a copy.

LoL

As would I.:D

Have you looked into titanium parts like someone else mentioned? I don't know how much cash you're willing to dish out for this...

parkers30
11-07-2005, 09:50 AM
I was looking through a catalog at home this weekend and saw they listed carbonfibre side cases for the YZf dirtbike, looked interesting. I remember seeing anyone running them, but might be something to look into

bigstorm
11-07-2005, 04:58 PM
cody give me ur motor and ill hava dude do something crazy to it. can u say 475 stroker kit.

-storm

atvrulz
11-07-2005, 05:16 PM
replace all nuts and bolts with titanium nuts and bolts. I saw a guy do this with cannondale, and it saved alot more weight than you would ever think.

cody anderson
11-08-2005, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by bigstorm
cody give me ur motor and ill hava dude do something crazy to it. can u say 475 stroker kit.

-storm

Yo punk! What's up? I'd love to have a 475 stroker, but I have keep it a 450 for the production class... I already sent my 06 motor to TC racing anyways... Hey, do you still have that TC shorty pipe?

bigstorm
11-08-2005, 04:58 PM
yeah i do u want it?

-storm

cody anderson
11-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Maybe... What do you want for it? Need any parts?

Scott-300ex
11-09-2005, 10:38 AM
I don't remember if this was said or not, but I was laying in bed, and this just popped in my head.

Strip all the paint off. Frame, swinger, a-arms, ect...

bwamos
11-09-2005, 10:51 AM
One thing you could do, is replace the battery with a smaller one that is the same voltage and cold cranking amps, but has less amp hours. Basically a smaller battery that will still start the quad 10 times or so w/o recharge since you dont need to leave it sitting with the lights on. No need for such a large battery.. you can probably use a motorcycle battery half the size.

Chromoly tie rods (if you don't already have), will also shave a few more ounces.

1 tooth smaller sprocket on front, 2-3 teeth smaller on back. Should give about the same ratio. Shaves a few more ounces, and pulls the rotational weight closer to the axis. Will add some wear to the chain from the tighter radius, but I'd imagine tensile is the main factor in MX anyway.

Punch lightening holes in your engine skid. (Assuming you still have a small one to protect your engine if you case a jump)

You could also drill lightening holes in your bars at the outside half of the grip, under the grips. No stress there. May only save an once or 2, but everything counts, no? Of course, I'd have a hard time doing that to Flexx bars. ;)

Get rid of the air box? Do you really need one for MX? No water, minimal mud. I honestly dont know, I do hare scrambles.

bigstorm
11-14-2005, 03:38 PM
what do u have cody what klinda pipe u been runnin lemme know what ur willing to trade for her. i broke it but welded a stronger mount on it. the original price was 500 smackers. so make an offer.

-storm

cody anderson
11-15-2005, 07:15 AM
Oh, it broke huh... Well. I kinda wanted one in good shape... I have a ton of stuff. Do you need any parts? Maybe we can trade something?