PDA

View Full Version : 1999 400ex clutch set install?

burtis
10-26-2005, 10:44 AM
ok heres whats going on. I borrowed a 400ex from a buddy of mine to take to pismo and he let me take it he just said taht I had to install a clutch set. We'll of course I said yes with no idea what I was doing. I am pretty mechanical and have done a lot of suspension work on my truck but really dont even know where to start on installing this clutch set. If someone would be kind enough to give me directions or a site that would give me directions to install it that would be great. Thanks a lot.

aviator4
10-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Here's a step by step

http://www.lspsonline.com/howto/Clutch%20replacement/

burtis
10-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Ok i have gotten through to installing the new plates but I dont know where to fill the case back up with oil? And also how much oil is needed since I dont have the manual. Anything would help. Thanks.
Btw I have it apart right now so answers ASAP would be appreciated. :)

shorgasm
10-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Button it all back up and slowly add 1.9qts to the oil tank in fornt of the engine.Clutches are pretty easy huh?...make sure you put the last fiber in the grooves opposite the others.Tighten all the bolts for the cover criss-cross and most importantly make sure the little spring for the clutch actuation arm in the cover is seated properly.There is a tiny spring that has a small hole that the spring grabs tension from.It's easy to overlook.

burtis
10-26-2005, 08:59 PM
hey thanks for all the info. Now on the clutch plates. When I took them out I put them the new ones in EXACTLY like the old ones. Now the old ones were all lined up exactly the same? So is this a problem?

cals400ex
10-26-2005, 10:14 PM
just make sure the last fiber plate you put in is rotated slightly differently and goes in a different groove.