PDA

View Full Version : Hill Climbing??

2004ex
10-25-2005, 07:26 PM
Hey guysa ive been on here for awhile but this is my first post. Ive beenr iding ever since i was 8 or 9 i am 18 now but have grown up riding 4x4s on the farm and everything. Wel a fe wmonths ago i decided i wanted to buy me a sport quad as a play toy and keep my wolverine as a farmfourwheeler. Thats when i bought my 04 400ex. Well my wuestion is on climbing steep hills can you climb them on a sport like a utility?? I mean can you stand up and put all your weight forwards or do you need to keep part of your weight backtowarsd the center of the quad. Ive heard both ways from some guys but i thought id ask here and c what yall had to say bout it

400exrider707
10-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Run it an Gun it! Seriously just keep your speed up and keep them back wheels spinnin. You can probably sit down and do it or jsut stand normally. Youll know if you need to move or not while your going up the hill. No one here can tell you how to ride up a hill, just go out and give it a shot.

hondajoe05
10-25-2005, 07:38 PM
i wouldn't recomend standing up well i don't atleast cuz im a little heavier of a guy the fornt might pop up on to steap of hill i jus lean way forward on steap ones like almost sitting on gas tank and helmmet to handle bars and gun it up in 1st or 2nd i wouldn't recommend 3rd i've tried that on a not so steap hill stalled and went back down to 1st and down i went it was about 100-150ft tall and i rooled all the way down... brused my ribbs and bent my handle bars real bad i didn't have time to get out form underneath it

so if you flip i would recommend bailing away cuz 375 ppounds doesn't real so good rolling and hitting you a couple times on t he way down

2004exrider
10-25-2005, 07:47 PM
welcome to the site, youll find lots of valuable information around here! I suggest just find an easy hill and hit it a few times in first gear and figure out whats more comfortable for you. I usually will try and hit a hill in 2nd gear and and sit down and lean forward. I might suggest to (if you already haven't), getting either a 14 tooth front sprocket or a 14t and 39t for the back. Makes hills and tight trails so much easier. You gain so much bottom end and only loose like 6mph on top end.

Jimmy