PDA

View Full Version : please help, 230 sport running @ 50% power

gotflames
10-25-2005, 04:09 PM
Just got a 87' 230 quadsport that had been running and the chain broke and busted the side cover. It sat for a year in a shop. I replaced the side cover tested compression , cleaned carb etc. etc. Bike throttles along at 50-70% power and if you keep the throttle held at the halfway pointthe power kicks in with 100% power off and on. If you justs give it full throttle from the start of each gear it is boggy and slow. I know this bike has more response and power than it is showing. I am frustrated and can't figure out what to do. Any help will be appreciated.

zach

tzhill@bellsouth.net

Blaster x
10-25-2005, 04:21 PM
My friend had the same problem... So he rode the bike for the whole day..then just worked...try that...

yamaharaptor350
10-25-2005, 07:45 PM
mabye it needs a rebuild... it is an 87, try takin an air compressor to the jets.. try some new gas or mabye the bottom of your gas tank has some chit in it... take a look in there

TRXRacer1
10-26-2005, 07:00 AM
The cover that was busted holds the stator. There's your problem.

gotflames
10-26-2005, 12:13 PM
I replaced the cracked cover with another cover and another stator.

TRXRacer1
10-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by gotflames
I replaced the cracked cover with another cover and another stator. You don't find it odd that you played with the electrical system and now you have power loss?

300ex73
10-26-2005, 01:45 PM
I replaced my stator cover, and never had any problems with power loss. I'd say a good idea would be to take the plug out and check it. See what color it is. And use that as a guide to check your jetting. You can't get a jet kit for the 230's, I already checked on that one. So if you need to change the jets, you'll just need to get different ones from a dealer.

Also, Idk if you've rebuilt the carb for it or not, but that'd be a good idea too. Moose makes a rebuild kit for them.

Anyways, that's just a couple of ideas to get you started. Pm me if you have any other questions, I've worked on 230's before so I have a little experience with them. Good luck!

DvxDirtSlinger
10-26-2005, 11:20 PM
clean the carb, sounds like it may have got some dirt in while it sat