PDA

View Full Version : Registering ATV's in Wisconsin

ATVer14
06-18-2002, 08:11 PM
My family is going to be taking a trip up to Wisconsin to the Black River Falls trail system, and we were wondering if we needed to register our ATV's anywhere to ride in Wisconsin. We're from Illinois, so it would be an out-of-state registeration that we would need. If we do need to register, how would we go about doing it, or is there a website where I could find that information out? Thanks for your help guys.
Kenny

loganB
06-18-2002, 10:42 PM
Go to the wisconson Dnr web sight.What date are you going to Black river falls.:devil

ATVer14
06-19-2002, 06:10 AM
I went to the DNR website, and I found an ATV registration form, but it's like 4 pages long, and it looks like it's only for registering newly bought ATV's for residence of Wisconsin. Is this the right form, or am I missing something? We don't know exactly what date we'll be going, but it's going to be in the next couple weeks or so probably. Thanks
Kenny

Doibugu2
06-19-2002, 01:08 PM
I have not riden in Wisconsin yet, but from the people that I talked to at the Trail, all you need is your Bill of Sale and your ATV. It cost $12. I am not sure where you get it up there, but I know you can just wait to get it when you go.

I am actually planning on going up thier this weekend, but they are currently closed due to all the rain. Make sure you call before you go to make sure they are open.

I am also from IL, where do you ride?

ATVer14
06-19-2002, 02:20 PM
Yea, we'll be sure to call before we go up there. There's an article in the Jan/Feb 2001 edition of ATV Sport about Black River Falls, and they said it was best to go after a heavy rain, or else the dust can get pretty bad if it's been dry for a couple weeks.

Doibugu2- I ride mostly MX at Byron Motosports Park in Byron, IL. We also go to Ottawa sometimes, they have a nice trail system down there with a small SX track at a place called Fox Valley Off Road. Thats pretty much it for Illinois riding, but we like to go down to Attica, Indiana during the summer to ride at the Badlands Off Road park. It's a really nice sand dune area that also has trails to ride. Hopefully I will be able to add Black River Falls to my places to ride list soon!

Doibugu2
06-19-2002, 02:42 PM
Our Plan is to go to Black River, but if it is going to be closed, our backup is the BadLands. If I go, I will let you know how it was.

My Buddy actually lives out in South Elgin, and we ride a bit out there. Behind the Menards on 59 and North Ave, is where we have been the past couple of weekends. Its not to bad, but just small.

ATVer14
06-19-2002, 08:16 PM
Yea, I've seen that riding spot back there a couple times when I've been driving out that way. I always wanted to check it out, but I didn't know if it was exactly "legal". There is a place over here called the Seavy Pits, and it's kind of like a mini Badlands. Lots of sand, some trails, jumps, open areas. The problem is that it isn't regulated, and probably not totally legal, so theres always idiots without helmets drinking beer while riding their ATV's. You've really got to watch out for them. They'll run you over in no time flat if they don't keep an eye out for them. Also, the cops routinely flush us out of there, not to fun.:mad: