PDA

View Full Version : Seat cover

tim colston
10-25-2005, 06:52 AM
I recently purchase a new gripper seat cover and am having a little problem installing it. As i am sure many have installed these before, I was looking for a good starting point to get going.

Thanks in advance.

TC

tater_kamik
10-25-2005, 11:09 AM
i take mine to this local shop. but, you really just need an big stapler. what are you having problems with?

tim colston
10-25-2005, 11:14 AM
It doesn't seem to fit right. I was thinking that if it took it in the house maybe let it warm up a bit it will stretch better. I have got a big *** stapler but I have to use 3/8" staples no larger, according to the instructions. By the way those were the only instructions.

10-25-2005, 11:17 AM
i took mine to a local place to get it done, much easier :macho

big_saxy
10-25-2005, 11:35 AM
A hair dryer or a heat gun are your friends when putting on a seat cover. Heat up the section you're working on. The heat will make it much easier to stretch. Stretch it and then staple it and move on. Kind of depends on how your seatcover is made, but i started on the front and the stretched down the side and if you have any excess you can pull it tight in the rear. Hope this helps! Here's a picture of mine, turned out great. Just takes patience and some strong hands.

tim colston
10-25-2005, 11:38 AM
thanks a ****load bigsaxy. Your seat looks great! I will try what you said and let you all know. Thanks for all the good info.

Custom-Covers
11-14-2005, 03:50 PM
It is always best to start at the front of the seat. Base tack it with one or two staples. A steamer is perfect for this but if you don't have one a hair dryer will work good. Pull the cover to the back and make sure the seam is straight across(if it has a seam). Once the back is stapled take the steamer or hairdryer and put it under the cover(between it and the foam). Heat it generously, but not too much, you don't want to burn it. Pull the sides and work out your wrinkles all the way around. An air driven staple gun is perfect. One of those old fashion staple guns will barely go through the seat pan. You must remove your old cover in order to get a good look. If any one has questions email me, I can help you out. customcoversatv@bellsouth.net

11-16-2005, 10:24 AM
a boat comp stook mine on for free