PDA

View Full Version : rap oil

tits
10-25-2005, 06:26 AM
my raptor seems like it goes through alot of oil ive only got mabie 10 or 11 hours on it since i bought it and it is down to empty is this normal my friends crf goes through alot of oil too is it just because they are high performance motors and my rap doesnt smoke. and finally what is the best kind and type of synthetic to use in it

cjkranz
10-25-2005, 07:12 AM
I hate to tell you this, but that isn't normal. I have had 4 raptor 660s, and none of them used any oil, Synthetic or otherwise.

tater_kamik
10-25-2005, 10:10 AM
not normal at all, sounds like you have a leak somewhere, look to see if you have any wet spots with fresh oil around all of the connections, etc since you arent burning oil

tits
10-25-2005, 12:57 PM
whats the best oil to use for type and kind im gonna change the oil and see if it goes through it as quick

tits
10-25-2005, 01:05 PM
yeah i just checked all the connections nothins leakin the motor workes great doesnt smoke the plug doesnt foul up i dont get it im pretty sure it was full of oil when i got it . man ill be pi$$ed if my motor goes im 15 and worked some long hard hours for it

tits
10-26-2005, 12:20 PM
come on guys what should i put in it for oil

IHAMMERhammer1
10-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by tits
my raptor seems like it goes through alot of oil ive only got mabie 10 or 11 hours on it since i bought it and it is down to empty is this normal my friends crf goes through alot of oil too is it just because they are high performance motors and my rap doesnt smoke. and finally what is the best kind and type of synthetic to use in it
I use hp4, synthetic oil is too slippery for the clutch since you dont have seperate motor and transmission oil

pimpin ant easy
10-08-2006, 09:47 PM
hey man ive been woundering what kind of oil to use as well....i used castroil, and my cluch sliped when i beat on it....hardly get to ride cuz i live in a gay town, anyways i am gonna go to the dealer and buy some yamalube....i have no idea how much it is, but i dubt it the cluch would slip with oil made by yamaha....also i hear royal purpil is the best out there, but is 11 bucks a qt...good luck, let me know if u find some good stuff...matt

fastJan
10-08-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm looking at the owner's manual for a 700R, which might be similar for your bike....check it out with a dealer first, but here's what it says: They recommend SAE 10W30 if the outside temperature is between 10 and 100 degrees or SAE 20W40 if the outside temp is between 40 & 120 degrees. You can use Yamalube ($6.50/quart) if you want to pay more for the same ratings, or just use normal oil like Pennzoil or Quaker State. I just bought a case of Pennzoil 10W30 (only about $2.00/quart by the case). The bike holds just under 2 quarts if you change the filter. I plan on changing it and the filter more often than they recommend, so I'm not worried about the oil breaking down. My book recommends that you service it after 20, 80 and 160 hours, then every 160 hours thereafter, just so you don't let it go longer than 6 months or 1,600 miles between servicings. They specifically say "Don't use oils of a higher quality than specified" That's why I'm not going to synthetic or racing oil. It will screw up the clutch.

tater_kamik
10-15-2006, 02:00 PM
not trying to bring up an old thread but... i havent been on in a while so im gonna.

there is nothing wrong with running synthetic oil in your wet clutch quad. i run amsoil synthetic in my raptor with gytr clutches and hinson basket, no slipping. i also run synthetic amsoil in my bike no probs. what does make it slip are the friction modifiers that are in regular car oils. thats why you have to buy oil that does not have any friction modifiers. cars dont have this problem because tranny fluid and engine oil are seperate therefore the clutch is not affected. but in all honesty, you do not need to run synthetic in a quad because it gets dirty quickly and will just be expensive quickly to keep changing. i rather buy regular oil and change it more often than spend more money and change it less. in my case i dont get to ride a lot so i just use the synthetic which is why it isnt that expensive for me. hope this helps

RedNeckRappy
11-01-2006, 07:28 PM
if your having oil circulation problems check to make sure you didnt' over tighten your filter, it seems pretty odd, but my pals have done it and cut off their oil flow pretty fast.

fastJan
11-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks, Rappy! That's great advice!!

Banshee009
11-12-2006, 09:04 PM
tits

interesting name, where ya git it?

as for oil, you opened a large can of worms.........

DO NOT USE......

quaker state, penzoil, or any other "car engine" oil! these oils were not fomulated for our motors. they lack the elevated levels of zinc and boron which is part of the anti-wear package that car oils do not have. sure, if you plan on changing your oil after every ride, they may be alright, but come on, who does that?

synthetics get a bad rap because one guy, some where, some time, bought some $hit that he thought was great and the salesperson did a great job selling it, and that guy had problems, weather it be with clutch slipage, or something else. then the company went outta business and he couldn't get any help. so he told all his buddies and before long, as we see here, everybody is afraid of synthetics because "it will screw up the clutch"

NOT THE CASE!!

tater has the right idea, even though you run amsoil, it is a good idea to run a reputable synthetic oil. i run Redline. redline is one of the very few class 5 synthetics on the market. and they offer a full line of oils. no good, better, or best oils. just the the best. check 'em out

http://www.redlineoil.com/

I put it in yfz 450's, banshee's, raptors, big bears, 4-strokes, 2-strokes, you name it, with absolutely no ill affects like some of the other people describe. no clutch slippage. but with redline you get the benefit of a quieter motor, faster starts and greater horsepower. yamalube will not give you that. don't know where you people get you info, but you should try before you kill an idea.

also, don't use royal purple, it's a gimmick. look on the bottle, does it read 100% synthetic? no it dosen't. they use a petro base and then add synthetic additives and call it a "synthetic oil"

what a joke

if you guys have any Q's, email me.

later, and good luck