PDA

View Full Version : i need to beat the 4 strokes help

czyquad
10-24-2005, 10:07 PM
im tearing my 86 r down and starting with something new i need to beat the 4 strokes whats the best setup without spendind a ton ov money i like all types of riding i dont race i just ride for fun help im tired of the 4stroke guys talking s*it

XCredrider
10-24-2005, 10:25 PM
i would get a good port and polish job by a reputable person. I heard c-leigh racing is some of the very best porting. Maybe LRD or someone like that. Then a carb, Lorean Duncan recomended a 36 mill. carb for all around use when i asked him. Then get a pipe to match and you will be set to destroy some 450's. Also put on a cr250 head gasket. Gives a lot better throttle response. For the whole package you could get it ported and a closely jetted carb and good pipe all from Duncan and you would have a sweet setup. :macho

ommkevin
10-25-2005, 02:18 PM
what about borin it out to like a 265

zedicus00
10-25-2005, 02:35 PM
yur gunna need mad porting and atleast go to 265 if u want to keep up with the new 4-pokes.

i would recomend a 310 resleeve and port work in yur stock jug so u can hav some room for when they start modding there 4-pokes. c-leigh can do it and yes hes the best. (no, i dont get payed to advertise)

get a 38-A/S carb and a good intake setup. and an all around pipe like a esr trx-5

if you know the right peeple all this stuff can be gotten for pretty cheep.

and it will butt-rape the 450 4 pokes.

XCredrider
10-25-2005, 02:41 PM
youa re not going to need "mad porting" or a 265. Hell... my 87 lt250r is .20 over with an answer racing pipe (shi*) and i can outrun my friends trx450r everytime when i start in second gear. I even spin my tires untill hald way through 3rd of when i shift into 4th. I had motor with a krank-it racing ported cylinder for mid to top end and it would kill the suzuki for speed. Bye the way... i never got the chance to shift into 6th. we were both in 5th topped out and i was ahead. ;) so please explain to me how a 87 lt can beat a 450 with stage 2 cam and traction, and pipe and filter didnt beat my stock lt but could beat a ported trx with a carb? I also have a stock carb on my 250. And i would not go with a 38. Call duncan racing and he will tell you to get a 36. JMO :cool:

zedicus00
10-25-2005, 03:02 PM
a 38 A/S will flow just as good for lowend as a 36mm carb, and hav better topend.

the rest of that is a lil to jioberish for me to interpret. dont forget though. a lot of it depends on whos riding the quad too.

250r4life
10-25-2005, 03:32 PM
i dont know as how i beleive that a lt250r that is just .20 over with a pipe will out run a 450r with a pipe, filter, and cam... i know most 250rs without port/engine work arent gunna beat the 450r with a pipe, fitler, and cam... that cam does a lot... it depends on the rider of course, as well as the tune, but... the 4 strokes are just getting faster and will continue to, so i would get some aggresive porting and at least a 265, but wouldnt go over a 310...

XCredrider
10-25-2005, 04:01 PM
your right... he didnt have the pipe on it at the time but the rest of it he had. and it out ran him at haspin on the drag strip there. I asked Lorean duncan what carb to use for an all around motor and he told me not to go to a 38 because it would not pull as good on the bottom. Maybe he didnt think about the air styrkey but this is what i was told. A/S are good carbs and have heard alot of good things about them.

440ex dragger
10-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Its hard to find a 450 that will get close to my 330R and with my shortend swinger a fifth gear wheelie can be fun.

Iliketogofast
10-25-2005, 06:29 PM
I beat a couple of those Bill Ballance YFZ's yesterday on pavement. The one that was closest to me in the end had elka shocks and stuff, It looked real sweet while I was passin it. Anyway, heres the kicker... my bearings were f***ed up, and my axle was sitting crooked so bad that the caliper stay was grinding the disk... MY BRAKES WERE DRAGGING AND I STILL KICKED HIS ***! It was the hardest I'd laughed in a looong time.

Iliketogofast
10-25-2005, 06:32 PM
Oh yeah, a couple questions for you 440 dragger... #1 Why do they shorten swingers on 250R's all the time? I can see the fun in pulling wheelies in 5th and 6th but is there any practical reason behind it? #2 You say in your sig you have parts. Do you have a fresh bearing carrier(has to have bearings with it), the caliper stay, and a brake disk for an 88?

beerock
10-27-2005, 08:51 PM
either swinger 86-87 or 88-89 length are both good for any style riding.

usually draggers lengthen the swinger

TT guys shorten it for quicker turning some mx guys shorten it for the ability to pound the whoops faster and XC guys shorten it for quicker turning like the TT guys.(all based off of 88 length)
my 88 swinger is 1 3/4" shorter from 86 length and 3/4" shorter then 88 length.

some also run the 86 length , its all up to the riders style.

440ex dragger
10-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Yea mine was shortend for TT. You would actually be surprised at how much it helped. I dont have any of those parts, but I could get them for you at cost price. I will have to check with my sponser.

Trxracer53
10-28-2005, 08:48 PM
well now how much you willing to spend. Higher compression piston but don't go crazy still let it run on pump gas. Plus a new carb but not huge and a v-force reed set. Get a good filter and a pipe also duncan and paul turner or even curtis sparks are excellent choices. I've seen alot of LRD fall apart so ide stay away from them. Next a cool head too. that will keep you competitive.

BLACKeR
10-28-2005, 09:48 PM
if ytou have the $$$$$ go with a 310 you can get pro X jugs pretty cheap, and one of those with even a lame port job, should give you plenty of play power and shut the thumpers up. ive ridden with a lot of the new thumpers, and i hear a lot of holy s**t that thing hauls!!! cant wait till it goes out to C-Leigh this winter hehehehahaha.....die thumper die!!!

slamdak8782
11-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Here is what im going to do to mine after some research. My trx250r will already rape a 450 on top end and that was an hrc450r :eek: But I still cant get him on the low end yet. Personally I think mine is faster because the power band hits quicker and harder so when I pass him mine is too fast for him to acclerate past me and I outweigh him by 50 pounds. Anyways here is going to be my new set up and I am confident it will detroy his HRC fmf mid range silencer lrd mid range pipe rad valve. pro x big bore cylinder 295 bore with je or wiseco piston 38 mm carb port and polish. Goodbye 450r. You dont need a 330, that is overkill and it will cost you an arm and leg. low budget do what Im doing and you will win for least $$$$

kicker696
11-06-2005, 11:41 AM
i've got a rossier 295 with there porting, a lrd pipe and silencer, stock carb, V-force reed cage, and k&n filter and i walk all over my brothers 450r! Right off the line i take him and don't look back, everyone in a while he will ge a littl jump on me, but then i just pound right by him. He has a rossier full exaust, and filter, along with LT a-arms and shocks, LT rear, and for all of you that are saying that he must not be that good of a rider, he won our local B class by over 150 points and raced the last 3 races in A and took 2nd, 1st, and 2nd. so its not like he is a slow rider!!

slamdak8782
11-06-2005, 12:11 PM
yep thats what i fiured would happen. So ill just finish my build.:D Thanks for the confirmation kicker.