PDA

View Full Version : GT Thunder vs WB Rev Box???

Dizing400ex
10-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Hey guys,

Im new around here...

Im going to be getting a 05/06 400 ex soon and looking into some mods...

im 18 from pittsburgh and in college, ive been riding since i was 5 so i know what im doing..

A friend of mine has the White Brothers rev box and its given him no problems.. Ive heard mixed reviews and that the GT thunder is good... I also may be getting the sparks performance kit B .. and that comes with a rev box also, how is that one comapred to these 2??????

Which rev box is the best????

10-24-2005, 09:23 PM
I have the wb box, it works for me.

only thing is, if you plan to go super high on the compression ever. the starter wont spin the engine over quite fast enough to cleer the anti kick back function on the wb box.
I have this problem, still starts, just takes a cupple more secconds.

see the wb rev box is for a 250r which is kick start. so they have the anit kick back function on it which retards the timing till it gets over a certain rpm or somthing.

I kinda just pulled all of that outa my arse from what I have read on other ppls poasts.

400exrider707
10-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by mittimj
I have the wb box, it works for me.

only thing is, if you plan to go super high on the compression ever. the starter wont spin the engine over quite fast enough to cleer the anti kick back function on the wb box.
I have this problem, still starts, just takes a cupple more secconds.

see the wb rev box is for a 250r which is kick start. so they have the anit kick back function on it which retards the timing till it gets over a certain rpm or somthing.

I kinda just pulled all of that outa my arse from what I have read on other ppls poasts.

I was going to say thats not right at all. The WB box is from an XR250. You will experience starting problems if your battery isn't fully charged every time you go riding, and it will get worse when it gets colder. The GT thunder is made specifically for the 400ex and is a good box, as is the TC box, which you can get with different program curves for more advanced timing as well as raising the rev limiter.

cals400ex
10-24-2005, 10:53 PM
gt thunder actually makes a few boxes. one is more aggressive than the other. both of these will enable your bike to start in winter but the aggressive one has a little bit irratic idle. no big deal though. the sparks box is junk, along with the WB one. i have been there once and i will never go back. get the gt thunder one and the sparks pipe if that is what you want.

Dizing400ex
10-25-2005, 06:30 AM
it sounds like the gt thunder rev box is the way to go

Where can i get one??? Or compare the two???

For a stock 400ex do you recommend the more aggressive one?

bradley300
10-25-2005, 07:08 AM
you can get one straight from gthunder. dont know the number, but its on their site www.gthunder.com

whiteflash
10-25-2005, 09:31 PM
ive had no problems with my WB

400exrider707
10-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by whiteflash
ive had no problems with my WB

give it time you will

ZSK
10-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Unless you're building a top end motor that keeps making power beyond the stock rev limiter I don't see the need for a rev box. Unless it actually has a different ignition curve and changes the power delivery.

hetrick425ex
10-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I was going to say thats not right at all. The WB box is from an XR250. You will experience starting problems if your battery isn't fully charged every time you go riding, and it will get worse when it gets colder...

This is not a lie... :)
Seen it 1000 times, ok maybe not 1000...

Rico
10-27-2005, 09:15 AM
WB sucks

GT Thunder all the way.

I've ran both and the WB is junk and WILL cause starting issue's in any type of weather if your battery is not fully charged.

GT will start every time.

QuadJunkies
11-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Rico
WB sucks

GT Thunder all the way.

I've ran both and the WB is junk and WILL cause starting issue's in any type of weather if your battery is not fully charged.

GT will start every time.

i_mangle_sht
11-07-2005, 05:37 PM
click link scroll down to 2nd question (http://www.atvriders.com/articles/askmickey1.html)

infantry317
11-07-2005, 09:05 PM
TC baby, I loved the one I had on mine and I started it in 20 degree and below weather several times, the WB won't do that for ya. The WB wouldn't start at 40 degrees.

Chino886
11-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Does anyone know how to modify a rev box?

jwick07
11-08-2005, 08:44 AM
I have an Eddie Sanders Racing rev box with my 450r, to go along with the JE 11.5:1 piston, hrc cam, 13 tooth front sprocket, hmf slip on, k&n combo, I like it better because it raises the redline so I can streach each gear further.

QuadJunkies
11-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by jwick07
I , I like it better because it raises the redline so I can streach each gear further. thats EXACTLY why I got one, I was trapped in between gearing and my Box gave me just enough to fix the problem :)