PDA

View Full Version : buyin any bike at the races for retail + 30%... read this!!!!

Tommy 17
10-24-2005, 07:36 PM
ok where to start...

ok when you enter any AMA sanctioned event you are entering a claims meet... so basically when u enter u can take anyones bike and buy it off them and they have no say so and have to sell the bike to you... they have to sell the bike/quad etc for retail + 30% so if you buy have a 15,000 walsh 450r they have to sell u it for blue book value + 30% and have no say so in this...

this happened to my friedn the other day with his new mod crf250 and lost a few thousand dollars on it!!! i guess this has been in the rules book for years and noone knows about this... it happened awhile ago to mike alessi... somone bought his cr80 for almost nothing!

i guess even if ricky carmichael shows up on his FACTORY rm450 you can buy it for retail + 30%...

heres a picture of the ama rules... and i'll include a link to the rulebook...

i'm never racin they can take ur quad for nothing!

http://www.ama-cycle.org/rulebooks/AmateurRules2005.pdf

Tommy 17
10-24-2005, 07:41 PM
basically from what i understand is that at the next GNCC if u wanted 2 u could walk up and claim bill balances yfz or chris borichs 450r and take them for next to nothing:eek2: :huh

bansheeguy77
10-24-2005, 07:41 PM
something cant be right here....if it was legit im sure many bikes would have been gone. but if not i claim dibs on natalie and dunks 450s :eek: :cool:

Tommy 17
10-24-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
something cant be right here....if it was legit im sure many bikes would have been gone. but if not i claim dibs on natalie and dunks 450s :eek: :cool:

i guess its happened a few times to mike alessi with his worked cr80s and now its happened with totaly modded bikes set up for lorettas...

its legit!

Warnerade
10-24-2005, 07:44 PM
thats some bull**** right there.

Ralph
10-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Lol, i love how they have the power to do this.:o

lets add another one

G. Ralph gets to sleep with any entriee's fiance or wife.

TheFontMaster
10-24-2005, 07:46 PM
If I'm at a race and someone comes up to me and said they are going to buy my quad from me, and I have no say in it the only thing they are gonna get is a black eye:grr:

JDiablo
10-24-2005, 07:47 PM
then WTF am i building this YFZ for :confused:

Who wants to give me a ride to the next race with 10k on them,we will pick up some trick quads

DanTheMan
10-24-2005, 07:55 PM
haha y dont we all start puttin money together and go buy ourselves some new rides haha i call dibs on gusts jones and any other z450:devil:

400exrules
10-24-2005, 07:59 PM
wtf:huh :huh

this cant be right........if anyone was buyin a new quad why would they goto a dealership then, if they could simply pay the same price they would for a new stocker, but for a 15k bike, and make a profit of almost 8-9k:huh :huh

Mxjunkie
10-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Aint no one getting my shee :mad:

not that anyone wants a shee these says lol

zeppelin
thats not how the rule was ment to be used, it was ment for the ama to buy the works bike off of the factory teams for whatever the set price was, any way the whole idea was to make it more fair for the privateers (if the factory teams new that they could lose their $20,000 works bike to the ama for only $10,000) then ama thought this would even out the competition from scaring the factory teams but it didnt slow them down one bit

mrusk
My quad would be in my trailer and out of the track in no time.

Matt

redrider311
10-24-2005, 08:01 PM
yes it will definately be cheaper to buy them this way already built.. but in kelly blue book they do add money for aftermarket wheels, frames and things like that.. +30 percent.. how much do you guys think a quad like natalies, or gusts would cost?

Warnerade
10-24-2005, 08:04 PM
my quad would be in my trailer and i'd be pulling out of that track as soon as someone brought that rule up.

hessianmx111
10-24-2005, 08:15 PM
It's definately true, that's the reason that say Travis Pastrana or another factory racer often times dont take their full on factory bike to a local district race. I guess the rule is in place to kinda even the playing field out? I guess it doesn't really do that but it's supposed to keep you from putting too much money into the bike in fear of getting it bought.

Quad18star
10-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Now that's just f'ked up !!!!:huh Who comes up with these types of rules ??

derekhonda
10-24-2005, 08:31 PM
hey junkie im gonna buy your bike. does anyone know what 30% of $0.00 is? :devil:

JH_Racing188
10-24-2005, 08:39 PM
if someone tryed to buy mine.... they would be buying an ***** whipping... i have alot of hard work into mine!!

Mxjunkie
10-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
hey junkie im gonna buy your bike. does anyone know what 30% of $0.00 is? :devil:

I bite :mad:

10-24-2005, 08:50 PM
I can see whare they are trying to evnen the field out. making the factory sponsored ppl not have the fastest.

I would be interested to see how much the kbb value is for a full aftermarket quad. who knows it may end up beeing more than the cost to build one up.

I know that in the class I run my go-kart, my engine can be bought at any time for 1700. but a new engine costs 1650. I won every singal race, ppl always threatened to buy my enigne because they thot that was why I was so fast. I told them to go ahead, because it was getting worn out and I needed a new engine anyways. BTW- my enigne was 100% legit.

yoshz400rider
10-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Im gonna try and buy RCs or bubbas bike next year at High Point beat if you bring it up you will be arrested.

400exrules
10-24-2005, 09:03 PM
thats one of the most rediculous things i have ever heard. Thats like sayin....you shouldnt get a hot wife, because some ugly guy who can only get ugly chicks, can just come in and take her if he wants.

not cool.

Tommy 17
10-24-2005, 09:28 PM
o i think its a crap rule... total b.s. actually... i think it should be ended and i hope noone ever does it...

i just figured i'd let everyone know bc i'd hate to see it happen to someone and them not even know about it!!

Atkins
10-25-2005, 06:13 AM
It should only apply to Pro and Pro-Am classes IMO.

duke416ex
10-25-2005, 07:33 AM
This is a common rule in racing. Every stock car strack I have ever been to has the same rule in place on either the car or the motor. I know of several people who would blow a motor one week and claim the winners engine the next week, a lot cheaper than they can rebuild their own. You do have a say in it though, on section 5, if you say no then you just set out, I have never heard of a season, but I have heard of an event or two.

ThumPIN_450R
10-25-2005, 10:51 AM
that would be the best thing that could happen to my quad, And probably the worst thing that could happen to the guy claiming it.

Woodsrider
10-25-2005, 10:57 AM
In order to "claim" another riders bike you have to compete in the race, not just attend. It almost sounds as if some of you think you can just go to the next event and buy a trick ride. I look at the rule as saying this; If you really are the best rider here, it shouldnt matter what you ride. So any rider in your event should be able to own your bike. What have you got to hide?
Others I ride with see it as saying; Well, if I cant beat you on my bike, I'll just buy yours and beat you with it next week.

Atkins
10-25-2005, 11:27 AM
A major part of the sport is building a bike capable of winning with your own 2 hands. If you meet the CC regulations, then i dont see why youd need this rule.

lol
10-25-2005, 11:42 AM
i would rather be suspended from all AMA sanctioned events rather than give my bike away for a price thats a steal.....i just dont see how thats fair

rollie
10-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Wait...so if i race an ATV national and some kid that raced me says "Hey nice bike im buying it" i have no say and he just takes it???

i dont get it

AtvMxRider
10-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Oh it's true. It happened this year to Adam Ciacnarelo(sp) he is a Cobra factory rider and had his bike claimed by THRacing.

duke416ex
10-25-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer12
Wait...so if i race an ATV national and some kid that raced me says "Hey nice bike im buying it" i have no say and he just takes it???

i dont get it

You do have the option to say no, it is in the rule!!

coryatver
10-25-2005, 02:27 PM
So you have to race in the same class, and for atvs its says you can only claim the motor. so i am not sure how it works do you pay for what an oem motor and carb, and exhuast would cost? * 30%? If so good thing no one did when they were running full aftermarket 250rs worth like 30,000 :eek2:

Robin Hood
10-25-2005, 02:35 PM
That rule sucks. The pro riders have those bikes built for themselves, they worked their asses off to get to where they are today, and then all of a sudden some other kid could show up and take their bike? Even for the lower class riders its horrible, i just spent a whole year buying and swapping parts on my quad just to go to a race and have someone take it from me or else i cant race? Idk how some of you can see how its legit...

shano
10-25-2005, 02:44 PM
I think this rule was meant for totaly stock quads because you would make abit of money. But people decided to mod they're quads and dirtbikes. Thats gay though.

Evana13
10-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Your a *** if you use this rule on someone. No way should you go and steal someones quad. What if your son won the 50 class and after the race one of the other dad's comes up to you and says wow your son's really good I'am going to buy his quad. Your son would be heart broken if he could not race until you got him another quad.

AtvMxRider
10-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Evana13
Your a *** if you use this rule on someone. No way should you go and steal someones quad. What if your son won the 50 class and after the race one of the other dad's comes up to you and says wow your son's really good I'am going to buy his quad. Your son would be heart broken if he could not race until you got him another quad.

I totally agree but it does happen, More at the national level than the local level.

MOFO
10-25-2005, 03:28 PM
ok, let me get this straight.

I buy a new quad - MSRP is $6000.

I dump another $6000 into it.

I race at the pro level.

Someone from that race can come up and buy my quad for $7800! (30% of MSRP - as the rule states) - and I loose my arse on the deal???? :confused:

They just bought a $12,000 quad for $7800... thats how I see it.

Tommy 17
10-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
ok, let me get this straight.

I buy a new quad - MSRP is $6000.

I dump another $6000 into it.

I race at the pro level.

Someone from that race can come up and buy my quad for $7800! (30% of MSRP - as the rule states) - and I loose my arse on the deal???? :confused:

They just bought a $12,000 quad for $7800... thats how I see it.

thats basically it... and if u don't sell it you can't race so ur 12,000$ quad is worthless for a year!

rollie
10-25-2005, 03:37 PM
But you have the opion to say no right??? so you dont HAVE to sell it...or does the AMA just take it and sell it if your entered to a race?

i still dont understand it but it sounds retarded and unfare

MOFO
10-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer12
But you have the opion to say no right??? so you dont HAVE to sell it...or does the AMA just take it and sell it if your entered to a race?

i still dont understand it but it sounds retarded and unfare

If you say no, you forfeit your trophy and the season!

JRP
10-25-2005, 05:04 PM
man that is some bullshyt.... i dont see how they can do that.. I mean y would they have that rule.. expecially since you loose money if you have a modded out quad and some one can buy it 4k less then retail... thats rediculous:grr: :mad:

theTman
10-25-2005, 05:28 PM
i say we all email them and *****...lol

thats total BS though

SRH
10-25-2005, 05:34 PM
ill let them take it, and then ill call the cops and say it was stolen look heres the title, i think so and so has it, press charges, they go to jail and im racing next week

honesly i could care less about that rule.....

MOFO
10-25-2005, 05:35 PM
I would like to hear responses from people who actually race AMA races and have experience or know about this.

We must be missing something here.... using my example, how can this even be legal? Why would it be a rule?

So if a guy gets into a race series with a $5000 quad, he can go buy some guys quad that sank $10,000 into it for a fraction of its price...

I fail to see the logic or how this benefits anyone - other than the buyer.

SRH
10-25-2005, 05:38 PM
by the way, how many racers do you know that would want your quad that badly? and that can carry around 7800 bucks...then think of this , if you have 7800 bucks and u just carry that around why would you buy a used quad....and id do it to the alessis just to be a prick

MOFO
10-25-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by SRH
ill let them take it, and then ill call the cops and say it was stolen look heres the title, i think so and so has it, press charges, they go to jail and im racing next week

honesly i could care less about that rule.....

If you read the rule, a bill of sale is provided & title.... plus its organized through the people that run the race.

Saying someone stole it will only land you in jail or a fine for filing a false police report.

SRH
10-25-2005, 05:44 PM
i cant beleive you poeple are all upset about this, that rule was written probaly before a quad was even made and the only time i can see that coming into play is in the most extreme case of battling it out at the amateur bike nationals or a pro bring his race biek to town and some local buying it out, most people who race dont just have 7800 to spare on a quad because some guy is beating them every week

and they have the same kind of rule in race cars

oh yeah not to mention, someone with the balls to do this at a local level would most likely get there *** kicked after pulling such crap

hessianmx111
10-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
I would like to hear responses from people who actually race AMA races and have experience or know about this.

We must be missing something here.... using my example, how can this even be legal? Why would it be a rule?

So if a guy gets into a race series with a $5000 quad, he can go buy some guys quad that sank $10,000 into it for a fraction of its price...

I fail to see the logic or how this benefits anyone - other than the buyer.
I'm no expert but in my opinion the rule is in place to try and keep the playing field even, if you knew there was a rule where your quad could be bought for 7800, would you sink 15k into it? Obviously this doesn't scare many people, but this is what I think the rule was put in place for. I think I read a few years ago that Mike Brown took his factory pro circuit kx125 to a local district race and somebody bought it for a steal of a price.

LsMxRaCeR
10-25-2005, 07:00 PM
This rule is stupid..
but if someone done that to me then i would go back to them and buy it back lol:devil:

DaleJrFan
10-25-2005, 09:11 PM
this rule probly came from the dirt tracks for stock cars. they do it on a regular basis but its not the whole car, just the motor. sounds chiken s**t to me but it could happen.

but now that this rule has been posted, some jacka** will try it now this year to some big name rider.

Atkins
10-25-2005, 09:29 PM
AMA = Communists:mad:

duke416ex
10-26-2005, 07:05 AM
Mofo, you wanted opinions from people who race ama. I race ama scrambles on a very regular basis, I had not read this rule before, I have not read the entire rulebook as close as I should. This rule doesn't really bother me. For one, I don't think someone would pick my bike out of the 150 or so at the race, and two, not many people would have that kind of money on them. As I said earlier, this rule has been in stock cars for years so I am used to it.

Other than that, at the end of the first part it does say that claim will be on the engine, by that I assume that they wouldn't get your whole quad, just the engine and it's components. From the way I read it, they are also gonna have to pay you enough for it that you should have no trouble building a better engine with the money. I believe that most racers have enough respect and knowledge to know it is more the rider than the bike and they wouldn't do this to someone.I may be looking at it wrong, but that was just how I read it.

MXcutie
10-26-2005, 12:00 PM
can you go buy the bike back off of them after you sell it to them?

AtvMxRider
10-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by MXcutie
can you go buy the bike back off of them after you sell it to them?

Only if they want to sell it back.

JRP
10-26-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider

well if you have no say if they want to buy your bike.. then how do they have a say if i want to buy it from them?

FoxRacing81
10-26-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider

Wait...wouldn't they have to sell it back? Because of the rule?

I don't quite understand why this would even be an issue. So, pretty much whenever I race an AMA event, I am giving up the right to own the motor in my quad? and if anybody wants to buy it from me I have no right to say no or stop them? Sounds like B.S. and I agree with MOFO, I don't understand how this can be even legal.

If it was true, I could race and go buy the top A class rider's motor and he wouldn't be able to stop me at all?

-Justin

EvilJester400EX
10-26-2005, 05:21 PM
Tommy, you should have never posted this.

Think about it guys, has this ever happened to you? Someone you know? This rule has probably been in the books for quite some time now, why are you worried about it now?

FoxRacing81
10-26-2005, 05:50 PM
I think the book might be a little out-dated. My friend who races regionals says it wrong. He said that if you fail to comply, you only get suspended from that race, not 1 year. He said he had an AMA official at Loretta Lynn explain it to him.

Still a stupid rule, but oh well.

-Justin

wilkin250r
10-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Why is everybody getting worked up over this rule?

AtvMxRider
10-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

LOL I know it has been a rule probably longer than most these kids have been alive

Toadz400
10-26-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

That's it Wilkin, I'm buying your R.

QuadRP
10-27-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
That's it Wilkin, I'm buying your R.

And you cant stop him..Becasue its the rule..ur quadless...ha ha

Wouldent that suck?

wilkin250r
10-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Well, first, you would need to compete in the same event, make the claim within 30 minutes, and have cash or certified check ready.

Also, I could very easily stop him. Sure, I may forfeit the rest of my season, and my trophy (if I have one), but I get to keep my quad.

Now, think about this. If sitting out the season is almost impossible, because you're a pro and this is how you make your living, then you have sponsors to get a new quad.

If you can't afford to replace your quad, and a claim on your machine would take you out of the season, then you simply refuse and sit out the season anyways.

Not only that, it's very, very, VERY unlikely that anybody would make claim on your machine anyways. This rule has been in effect forever, but none of you have ever heard about it. That should tell you right there how unlikely this is.

shano
10-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Thank god we dont have the ama in canada, since im the only dale rider (very rare up here) im sure 20 people would be trying to get it off me. Some people already ask to buy it at the races.