PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket wheel warning

400exrules
10-24-2005, 06:37 PM
Most of you probably already know this, but ive just learned it the hard way, and it sucks so i wanna make sure people are aware.

If you have aftermarket wheels (aluminum) make sure when you put the lugs on, they are tapered side out. I believe that all stock quads come tapered side in, but once you go aftermarket with your wheels, you should make sure the flat part of the lug nut is up against the wheel and not the tapered. If you put them with the taper side in, on an aluminum wheel....after a few rides the taper will pinch down the aluminum onto the lug, making it nearly impossible to remove your tires.

I have found this out the hard way, after sweat, blood, and many hard kicks, ive found that my razr2's on douglas red labels are stuck on my front hubs:mad: . And i just went to take my pro wedge 2's (rear) on blue labels off, to put my holeshots on, and they were stuck also:mad: Luckily though, i havent had them for very long, so i knew they werent as stuck as my front tires were, so i banged the livin sh^t outta them with a rubber mallet till they broke free, and i inspected the lugs and insides of the wheels. And on lugs their werebits of metal from the wheels, wrapped around the threads thickly.

Sorry its so long, just be careful and dont be dumb like me cuz it could surely ruin your day if you want to swap tires to go trail ridin or if your goin to the dunes or the track or whatever.

Hondadudeehhhh
10-24-2005, 06:41 PM
here's what happened to my rear rim because im an idiot.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/JBhonda400ex/DSCF0187.jpg
:uhoh:

400exrules
10-24-2005, 06:44 PM
im guessin you tried drilling holes and spinning it loose??

Hondadudeehhhh
10-24-2005, 06:50 PM
no, the bolts became lose while i was riding i guess and three fell off. Well after about a 2 hour ride i checked my quad over as usual and there was on bolt hanging on by a thread (literally). It was pretty scary but we went down to the local hardware store, got some lock tite, new bolts and washers and i rode for the rest of the weekend find. I did that in june and its still holding up fine. The old problem is if i want to change my tire/rim i need to heat the bolts up to like 500 degrees it says. Oh well, she works

JR3
10-24-2005, 06:58 PM
on my douglas yellow labe rear beadlocks and fronts i always put taper side in just casue i feel safer that way some times they get stuck but no big deal just tap them with a rubber mallet or wood bat.

prepracing
10-24-2005, 08:31 PM
its pretty simple... tapered hole = use the tapered side of the lugnut. Plain hole with no taper = use the flat side of the lugnut against the wheel.

JDiablo
10-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Hondadudeehhhh
no, the bolts became lose while i was riding i guess and three fell off. Well after about a 2 hour ride i checked my quad over as usual and there was on bolt hanging on by a thread (literally). It was pretty scary but we went down to the local hardware store, got some lock tite, new bolts and washers and i rode for the rest of the weekend find. I did that in june and its still holding up fine. The old problem is if i want to change my tire/rim i need to heat the bolts up to like 500 degrees it says. Oh well, she works

That happened to me too,i didnt even know it until my mom told me my wheel looked messed up