PDA

View Full Version : Pulls to the left?.

shorgasm
10-24-2005, 02:27 PM
02 400ex..new tires on rear.The right is spankin new with nipples the left is worn just a touch.I set the air at 5psi on my 1lb increment gauge so it's gotta be pretty darn close.

Here's the issue...when just riding it goes straight.Now crack the throttle and she pulls left pretty good.Enough to where you have to compensate by turning the bars.Not enough to make you lift of the gas but enough to grab your attention.Put her up on the back tires and it is worse.Enough where you have to let off if ya don't have enough room to run wide.

Everything seems straight eyeball-wise...could that one tire being worn down more have this effect?..I know how to correct it with air but curiuos if it could be something else?

A bent swingarm would seem to track funny and a bent axle would wobble or bounce..neither happens here.:confused:

400exrider707
10-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by shorgasm
02 400ex..new tires on rear.The right is spankin new with nipples the left is worn just a touch.I set the air at 5psi on my 1lb increment gauge so it's gotta be pretty darn close.

Here's the issue...when just riding it goes straight.Now crack the throttle and she pulls left pretty good.Enough to where you have to compensate by turning the bars.Not enough to make you lift of the gas but enough to grab your attention.Put her up on the back tires and it is worse.Enough where you have to let off if ya don't have enough room to run wide.

Everything seems straight eyeball-wise...could that one tire being worn down more have this effect?..I know how to correct it with air but curiuos if it could be something else?

A bent swingarm would seem to track funny and a bent axle would wobble or bounce..neither happens here.:confused:

Axle bearings maybe?? Or swingarm bearings or a combo of both possibly:confused:

JOEX
10-24-2005, 02:38 PM
It's probably the tires, ATV tires aren't know for their accuracy in size and shape. With one being more worn than the othe only makes it worse.

Switch the tires around and see if it pulls the other direction.

JRDrider22
10-24-2005, 03:01 PM
your axle could be bent. have you ever hit anything with you rear end. maybe your swingarm could be tweaked a little bit to a certain angle.

shorgasm
10-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
It's probably the tires, ATV tires aren't know for their accuracy in size and shape. With one being more worn than the othe only makes it worse.

Switch the tires around and see if it pulls the other direction.

Now there's a good friggin idea!!......eliminate's the idea if it doesn't work and sovles the whole issue if it does.I do have new tire coming though.:D

I have noticed some play in the lock-nut..you can make it click but the axle doesn't rock any bit at all.I need to get a couple pipe wrench's to fit these big buggers.

I don't see any evidence of a hit to the rear.I just got the thing also..

AtvMxRider
10-24-2005, 03:57 PM
check your tire pressure and make sure they are even

RaptorRacer45
10-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Check ur front wheel alignment also, a tick off or ur Tie-rods will make a difference

tater_kamik
10-24-2005, 04:24 PM
the front will not bother it when you are doing an wheelie. definately swap the tires to the opposing side. if it was an yamaha, i would say you aligned the rear wrong, gotta love an honda!

shorgasm
10-24-2005, 04:26 PM
It is NOT a air pressure difference...It is NOT a front end problem.The tires are within a 1/4lb of each other and the problem only occurs when the front is off the ground for the most part.

You hit the gas hard and it pulls left..get the tires up and it pulls even harder left.

I'm gonna ditch the stock carrier soon but that doesn't seem to be the culprit here.A little loose on the lock-nut but no movement in the axle.

POW 352
10-24-2005, 04:57 PM
my 300 hundreds got some pretty beat tires and doesnt pull when i get on it but not sure could it be your rear axle spindle in the one wheel..if it was loose and the spline whoar off then it could just spin under power

wilkin250r
10-24-2005, 04:58 PM
I agree with Joe, switch the tires around and see if the problem follows.

If you put the worn tire on the right, and then the quad pulls to the right, then the problem is the tires.

If you put the worn tire on the right, and it still pulls to the left, the problem is in the swingarm.

BLACKeR
10-24-2005, 05:35 PM
WHY CANT PEOPLE READ THE WHOLE FREAKING POST BEFORE THEY REPLY!!!!! sorry to hijack, but it seems like 50% of the replys to posts i see, were mentioned in the original question.....

shorgasm
10-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Well, pretty darn positive that when I bought it the original tires were worn pretty good.I got on the gas and it pulled to the right(mailbox's come to mind).The rear air pressure was off big time but it is the same type of lift-and-pull that it is doing now just to the other side.That may be a good sign.

This just became clear to me..those damned mailboxes!

AtvMxRider
10-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by BLACKeR
WHY CANT PEOPLE READ THE WHOLE FREAKING POST BEFORE THEY REPLY!!!!! sorry to hijack, but it seems like 50% of the replys to posts i see, were mentioned in the original question.....

STFU:rolleyes:

PunkA$$
10-24-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by POW 352
my 300 hundreds got some pretty beat tires and doesnt pull when i get on it but not sure could it be your rear axle spindle in the one wheel..if it was loose and the spline whoar off then it could just spin under power

That what I was thinking. Is it possible you let the axle nut back off and stripped the hub/axle splines?? That would account for it being worst when the front tires are off the ground.

300extreme#8
10-24-2005, 07:20 PM
when i had my 300ex, mine started to do the same outta nowhere, and we couldn't finger it out, then we checked where the rod runs through the swingarms and bolts to both sides of the frame, the big bolt on the frame above ur footpegs connecting the swingarm, we took it out, and found out the rod had whollowed a bigger whole than it should be, and when i hit the gas or did a wheelie, it would shaft and pull to the left, i dont know bout a 400 but u can take that nut off and check, we had to get a washer with the stock size of the hole and weld it in the right position. hope u find ur problem tho