PDA

View Full Version : Clutch questions..

shorgasm
10-24-2005, 11:30 AM
AmI gonna be able to get away without draining the oil to change a clutch on my 02 400ex?...Brand new oil and new clutch just didn't make it in time to do both.:(

Can I get away with it or is the tank gonna drain out when I drop the cover?...My Cr can be tipped over slightly and no problem no oil.Then again it is doesn't have a sump system.

aviator4
10-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Your 400 has a wet clutch, as soon as you break the case, the oil is goig to drain out and make a mess. Drain the oil first, unless you have a Hinson side case.

shorgasm
10-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Lol...after further inspection yes it needs to be completely drained.

Stock clutch looked great..basket smooth no grooves...Looks never to have been apart.Only thing I could find questionable was the plates had some burn marks.Especially the inside(case) ones.

aviator4
10-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Thats to be expected. The clutch can get hot due to friction. The of other plates aren't down to their wear marks, you're good. Just make sure none of the steel plates are warped and you'll be fine.

400exrider707
10-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by aviator4
Thats to be expected. The clutch can get hot due to friction. The of other plates aren't down to their wear marks, you're good. Just make sure none of the steel plates are warped and you'll be fine.

Also if the steel plates show some blue on them then thats a sign of them being burnt out and should be replaced.

shorgasm
10-24-2005, 03:44 PM
yes a touch of blue/blackish....not bad but the motor side plates are the scorched ones.I put a whole new Barnett clutch in her and she feels very good...a touch stiffer but I clutched her good on pavement in 3rd and she stood right up no problem.I can't get enough speed on my road to try 4th and see if it holds good enough for my liking.seems to be on the money right now.

The stock fibers looked thick as stock and way more than the Barnett.I'm thinking the real problem was the springs.:ermm: