PDA

View Full Version : Hrc Over Hot Cams

Zuber187
10-24-2005, 08:47 AM
I just would like to comment on how well the HRC cam and the Ross 10.8-1 stock bore performs over the competion. I have been running this set up for about a year now and so far i have to say it rips. I dont want this to turn into my quad is faster or better than yours just an informal thread. I ride with quite a few Hot Camed 400's stage 1 & 2 with similiar mods and I can tell you the HRC out performs than both over and over again. The HRC just seems to rev quicker and longer than the stage 2. I have one buddy with the stg1 and personally I think it runs better than the stg2. Both are hi comp stock bore ex's. I know there is million varibles out there when drag racing just telling you how I see it. If your looking for a good HP upgrade and have the $ I would definetly check out the HRC.

Rico
10-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Not a better cam on the market

Honda cam in a honda motor, I mean come on...:macho

FoxMxRiders
10-24-2005, 02:41 PM
Does this cam is drop in?? cause I was thinking about a cam that is a good one but needed to change the rockers and spring.Then that would be the price of the HRC.

How much is the HRC cam in canada??

Can I order one at my honda dealer??Im from quebec/canada and don't want to buy on the internet

Thanks

prepracing
10-24-2005, 07:38 PM
does an HRC cam in a 400ex give good bottom end power, like for XC racing. Can I order this from my local honda and is there only one HRC cam for a 400ex ? Thanks

400exMO
10-24-2005, 09:11 PM
the hrc cam, isn't it for the xr400?? is it also just drop in?

Zuber187
10-25-2005, 06:18 AM
Yes the Hrc is a direct drop in with with no hardern rockers required. I purchased mine about 8 moths ago at XRs Only which has a link on this site PN 14000-NKK-000 for 179. Dont get it confused with the XR's cam which some dealers seem to do. You do have to give up your stock core and you will need to press on your old cam gear to the new cam which is on thing the Hot cams does include. Wasn't that bad though and well worth the performance. As if you all have'nt probally heard pulls like a stg 1 in the bottom and out revs the stg2 on top but the mid range is just awsome. Make a stocker look stupid. I cant compare it to the others such as Web, Tc or Magnums since I have no experience with them but I believe they are not drop in's.

Rico
10-25-2005, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Zuber187
Yes the Hrc is a direct drop in with with no hardern rockers required. I purchased mine about 8 moths ago at XRs Only which has a link on this site PN 14000-NKK-000 for 179.

I believe your cam is the HRC copy cam but does not have the same lobes as a true HRC Cam. I could be wrong but I think it's a hopped up stock XRcam. reason I say that is the retail on a HRC cam has a retail of about $400. I paid less than $300 for mine and that was at a discount.

Here's a link http://www.onlycrfs.com/html/camshafts.html that shows the difference in cost of a true HRC cam and a copy cam. The part number you listed was the correct number for the HRC Cam but not a copy cam. Retial of the HRC Cam on that site says its over $500....:eek2:

The HRC cam offers plenty of bottom end for XC Racing, that's what I use it for

Zuber187
10-25-2005, 01:41 PM
Yes, You are correct Rico, It is the Hrc copy. Sorry for the confusion in the thread. I was told by XR's that they weld to stock core cam shafts the are in spec to the exact profile of the HRC which did'nt scare me too much considering most companies do that except Hot Cams. I can tell you this if the profile is not exact it is damn close because the XR camshaft doesn't even come close from past experience with other bikes. The XR was not much better than stock other than a little more top. The Copy was just an all around improvement that banged the stock limiter so much that I had to get a box. Once again sorry for the confusion and thanx for the clarification. I should have mention it was the copy. Still give it a thumbs up.

FoxMxRiders
10-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Then I go to my honda dealer and ask for the XR400 True HRC Cam and that will be the HRC Cam and not a copy?

Can The honda dealer have a parts number for this cam??If yes I want to know it

Thanks

NacsMXer
10-25-2005, 02:37 PM
I believe that you would be able to find them at a Honda dealer but expect to pay around that $400 if you are able to get one. I think Service Honda also sells them and I know for a fact that you can get them from Lazarus at GT Thunder.

I love the HRC and it is definitely one of the best cams you could possibly run in a 400. I have a relatively rectangular motor with a smaller 416 bore and a long +7mm stroke. In theory, a motor like this would not want to rev very high compared to a more "square motor". This is not the case since i'm running the HRC. Jab the throttle and the thing revs in like a split second into the powerband. It has a crazy midrange pull to it with no sacrifice on the low end like the stage 2 Hotcam. You basically get the best of both worlds with the HRC. Once you try it, you'll never go back! ;) :macho :cool:

FoxMxRiders
10-25-2005, 05:35 PM
lasts questions

The HRC Cam that you talk about is the XR400 HRC Cam?? Because I don't want the copy I want the true HRC Cam

And this cam is good for Mid to Top???

NacsMXer
10-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Yes it is an HRC cam for a XR400 but it works on the 400EX regardless. The HRC copy is not a Honda product so make sure you are buying a true Honda HRC cam for a XR400. The cam gives solid gains throughout the powerband from my own experiences.

Rico
10-26-2005, 07:37 AM
Just call GT Thunder and tell Laz you want an HRC Cam for a 400ex.

Zuber187
10-26-2005, 10:17 AM
You guys got me thinking now. Do you think there is more to gain over the Copy? I mean the thing runs good. I just could not see their being that much of a difference especially compared to the price difference of the two. I also know there is a piece of mind when buying a quality Honda part but so far no problems here. Do any of you guys know anyone else who have any experience with this Hrc copy? Good or Bad reviews?

03pissedoff426
10-26-2005, 11:04 AM
according to service honda, the true HRC cam is only $277.14 compared to $400.00 and above. and if you have to send your stock cam in as a core charge, they must be welding on the lobes to make the COPY HRC cam. which in return means you need the hardened rockers, wether they tell you or not. the only cams you don't need hardened rockers with are the ones they machine new. and not weld on to then machine.